Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1471 Talkback - Introducing! Red Tornado, Machine Man, and Scud the Disposable Assassin

Reintroducing the 'Introducing!' format, in which we shine the CGS spotlight on the first appearances of three characters, all sharing some common trait or feature, from three different publishers and decades. Taking 'Androids' as our theme, we investigate the inorganic origins of three synthetic superstars: the Silver Age Red Tornado; Jack Kirby's X-51, the Machine Man; and that small-press sensation of the '90s, Scud the Disposable Assassin! If you're in the mood for all-out android action (and origin analysis), these are the droids you're looking for! (1:38:17)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited April 2014
    Great episode guys! The 2001 series is actually the subject of a book I've only read about. More info on it here. I'm still trying to complete my runs of Machine Man (missing 1, 5, 8, 9, 10, & 15) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (missing 4,5, 9, & 10), but really enjoyed this episode. I got turned on to Aaron Stack X-51 when I first saw him on the cover of Incredible Hulk #235...

On another note, how many times have both Machine Man and the Red Tornado been destroyed I wonder? Until this podcast I was unaware of Scud the Disposable Assassin. I may look for the TPB mentioned near the end.

And big congrats to my friend @Mr_Cosmic on muddling @Adam_Murdough! That's a rare occurrence! Hey, instead of making them pay to ship you a book as your prize, why not simply insist on that Marvel Cosmic Spotlight we've been petitioning for? LOL :)
  • Options
    I am so happy you guys brought this back. I really loved these episodes in the past. It was great to see what was there from the beginning and what has been changed since the first appearance. I also love how you guys pick characters that have similarities to each other. Such a great concept for a show, and so glad to see it return. Looking forward to listening to it.
  • Options
    For those not familiar with Scud. Here is what he looks like. I don't know much about him either. I just knew what he looked like. I will have to check him out:
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I love SCUD. If you are interested try to find a copy of SCUD the Whole Shebang which is the complete SCUD story. It's such a great series; it is a super fun book (but it gets dark toward the end, after Rob Schrab got his heartbroken by his then girlfriend).
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited April 2014
    Wow, great timing on Machine Man. I literally read his first appearance last night! I've been in the process of rereading the issues of "2001" that I have, while also trying to collecting the few issues I'm missing.

It's a very strange series. I'd definitely recommend it, though. The earlier issues have more of a connection to the movie. The letter columns are also a real treat, as half of the writers express frustration regarding what the series is even supposed to be about. I don't think Kirby ever figured it out himself, but it's fun watching him go wild and swing for the fences every time out, usually trying to be as profound as possible and attempting to redefine everything from comic books to humanity itself.

Machine Man appears in issues 9 and 10 as well. They are enjoyable. He's on the run and he meets up with a woman and a boy. The boy childishly insists that he's a "superhero--like the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man!" (paraphrasing), and then adults tell the kid that he's "read too many Marvel comics!". So, no, the story isn't set in the Marvel Universe, but as you guys suspected, after a while the continuities bleed together. I only have the first and ninth issues of Kirby's "Machine Man" series, but at the end of the 9th issue they say that the story continues in "The Incredible Hulk".

I'd also like to note that they brought Machine Man back in some X-related comics of the late '90s. This was my first exposure to this character, but it was also when I was getting out of comics for a while, so I could barely care about what was going on. I remember seeing Machine Man fight the Red Skull alongside the X-Men, Douglock, and Deathlok (I think?) on board a SHIELD helicarrier. And this spun off a short-lived "M-Tech" line of titles. Very convoluted stuff, but as with much of the Alan Davis-penned late-'90s X-Men stuff, there was at least the kernel of some good ideas there... ruined by editorial excess.

The 2001 series is actually the subject of a book I've only read about. More info on it here. I'm still trying to complete my runs of Machine Man (missing 1, 5, 8, 9, 10, & 15) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (missing 4,5, 9, & 10), but really enjoyed this episode.

Thanks for the link. I don't agree with the Comics Bulletin (I rarely do) that "2001" is such a bad Kirby series. It's uneven, but I find it better than the issues of Eternals that I've read. And the whole "Fourth World" stuff is all over the map: very high highs ("New Gods", "Forever People"), very low lows (a lot of the "Jimmy Olsen" stuff, which is just... dysfunctionally bad in my opinion). I think that even when an issue of "2001" strikes out, so to speak, it does so in a way that's interesting.

Also, bralinator, I have an extra copy of "2001" #5. None of these back issues are THAT expensive anyway, but if you have anything you'd like to trade, let me know. At the moment I need "2001" #2 and "Machine Man" #2-8.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I believe Murd was right in that Goom didn't come from the same Planet X as Groot. Back then I doubt much thought was put into that sort of continuity.

I also feel a bit bad about the last question because I didn't reference a specific issue. However I do know the answer is correct even if I can't point to the exact issue.

I'd love a cosmic spotlight but I've actually spoken out about being satisfied with the guys just doing The Fantastic Four(the birthplace of Marvel's Cosmic U, IMHO).

As far as kissing the geeks...sorry gentlemen, but it'd take A LOT more than a cosmic spotlight! ;)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
  • Options
    For those that want to explore Machine Man a bit further. Above is one of the best mini-series you will ever read.
  • Options
    rebis said:

For those that want to explore Machine Man a bit further. Above is one of the best mini-series you will ever read.

I've never read it but you have me intrigued. Oh, and that cover is awesome!
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

Also, bralinator, I have an extra copy of "2001" #5. None of these back issues are THAT expensive anyway, but if you have anything you'd like to trade, let me know. At the moment I need "2001" #2 and "Machine Man" #2-8.

Let me check my Ebay pile and get back to you!

rebis said:

Just got this set, but have not read it yet. Love the BWS artwork and I am looking forward to checking it out.
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39
    Is the interior art by BWS too? If so, I'm sold!
  • Options
    Jersen said:

Yes, it is.

• Options
    rebis said:

Jersen said:

Yes, it is.

But most of it is Herb Trimpe pencils under BWS inks... right?

(It still might look pretty good...)
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

rebis said:

Jersen said:

Yes, it is.

Trimpe did the pencils, but it still looks great.

• Options
    Genius move with "Mr. Roboto" as the closing music.
  • Options
    One heck of an episode guys. Thanks and I hope the theme continues. However, you say you had a couple more of these "Introducing"s, but I can't seem to find them under any of the category tabs. Are they still here, have they gone away or are my old eyes kicking in once again and I just can't see 'em? Any help?
  • Options

One heck of an episode guys. Thanks and I hope the theme continues. However, you say you had a couple more of these "Introducing"s, but I can't seem to find them under any of the category tabs. Are they still here, have they gone away or are my old eyes kicking in once again and I just can't see 'em? Any help?

Ask and ye shall receive ...

http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/search.php?search=introducing

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I'm so glad you guys are starting up with this segment again. I thought it was one of Peter's better ideas for CGS.

Here are a couple of ideas for possible episodes:

Comics characters named Adam:
    Adam Warlock
    Adam Strange
    Prince Adam (He-Man)

Fraternal Twins:

Billy & Mary Batson (1940s)
    Wonder Twins (1970s)
    Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver (1960s)

Characters named Jamie:

Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle)
    Jamie Madrox (Multiple Man)
    Jamie Sommers (Bionic Woman)

• Options
    With all of these old concepts being revisited, how long before the return of the Listener Art Challenge?
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39

Elsiebub said:

rebis said:

Jersen said:

Yes, it is.

Trimpe did the pencils, but it still looks great.

You can definitely see the BWS shining through on that. I wouldn't have guessed that was Herb Trimpe on pencilling.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

rebis said:

I've never read it but you have me intrigued. Oh, and that cover is awesome!
    I just bought the series off of ebay.
  • Options
    You can find it easily for under $10 - including shipping. Great find!
  • Options
    I think my total for all 4 issues + shipping was around $6.50
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

I finally got into my "to sell or trade" box and see that I have extra copies of 2001 #2 (VG+ - FN-) and a copy of Machine Man #2 (FN) and #11 (VF)

If you're looking for any other Kirby material, I also have extra copies of Eternals 4, 5, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 all in varying conditions. Send me a PM and we can discuss trade.

Mr_Cosmic said:

I think my total for all 4 issues + shipping was around $6.50

It's a steal! I think I got mine also very cheap included in a small lot of Machine Man bronze age for about $10
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I was through the Image section in Comixology, and you can get the SCUD Whole Shebang there. I'm not sure it is still in print anymore.
  • Options
    By the way, loved the Mr. Roboto song at the end. I have really been enjoying the little music inserts or TV/movie inserts here and there that you have been doing. Adds to the enjoyment for me, and I'm sure it's fun for you also to use them.
  • Options
    I don't think it was mentioned on the show, so I'll just note that Machine Man was recently featured in the Red She-Hulk series. I found the Marvel Now Omnibus dirt cheap last week, and paging through it I was happy to see Kirby's creation making it into current continuity.

Lastly, shout-out to bralinator for sending me a Machine Man #2. Hope you enjoy your 2001 #5.
  • Options

By the way, loved the Mr. Roboto song at the end. I have really been enjoying the little music inserts or TV/movie inserts here and there that you have been doing. Adds to the enjoyment for me, and I'm sure it's fun for you also to use them.

Mr. Roboto? Oof. Not only did Styx jump the shark with that little offering, but when they came down they landed like Evel Knievel at Ceasers Palace.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, I bought that JLA issue (and the 2001 issue!) off the rack and you guys are right, it was fun! Kind of exciting to just think that this android actually thought he was the original Red Tornado! But...typical distribution at the time probably prevented me from getting the next issue. Yeah, I didn't know what was going on with this Machine Man. I had both issues #8 and #9, but I could tell the series was declining and I guess Kirby moved on to the Eternals? Ah, no it appears he was doing them and Cap at the same time! //Oh, my! The Murd was muddled!// Don't know anything about Scud, but I enjoyed the discussion. Thanks!