Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1474 Talkback - Previews

In Spring, a young Geek's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of Previews! We go through the April catalog for items shipping to stores starting in June. (1:26:42)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    About halfway through this one. Skeleton crew for this one with Murd and Jamie D at the helm.

A couple of titles you mentioned piqued my curiosity ... "Winterworld" and "Outcast" to name 2.
  • Options
    FYI - The next "Off the Racks" episode will include Moon Knight #1, Magnus Robot Fighter #1, and Silver Surfer #1.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    That first issue of Moon Knight was excellent.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    random73 said:

Agreed!

And my favorite quote from this episode was:

"What's summer without a comics glut? It's tradition." @Adam_Murdough

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    @JamieD, re: your question about Big Trouble in Little China, Eric Powell has said that the comic picks up right from the end of the movie. He had a discussion with Carpenter about the tone and direction the book was going to take, and they were both on the same page, so I expect good things to come.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I agree. I am not even a big Moon Knight fan and don't know a lot about the character, but I read this first issue (and picked up the second issue) and I was hooked. Very well done.

• Options

@JamieD, re: your question about Big Trouble in Little China, Eric Powell has said that the comic picks up right from the end of the movie. He had a discussion with Carpenter about the tone and direction the book was going to take, and they were both on the same page, so I expect good things to come.

I just started this episode, so only as far as Dark Horse so far, but yes, with Eric Powell and John Carpenter both working on this, I am very excited and looking forward to what comes from it in stories. The art is a bit more cartoony looking, so not what I would have expected, but it could add to the fun of this type of story. I will be reading this one for sure.

I even plan to do a spotlight episode on the movie and the first issue when it comes out. I love the movie. It's a bit disjointed, but it's just fun.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2014
    On page 335 of Previews is Shackleton: Antarctic Odyssey GN. If your not familiar with Shackleton and what his men went through..shame on you as this is probably one of the greatest survival stories in history. I'll be adding it to my order.
  • Options

FYI - The next "Off the Racks" episode will include Moon Knight #1, Magnus Robot Fighter #1, and Silver Surfer #1.

I'm confused (<----- shocking, I know). Thought Murd said those 3 titles were going to to be the subject of the next "Off the Racks," but at the end, he said it would be Superman #32, Savage Hulk #1, and Star Trek: The City on the Edge of Forever.

A little clarification from TPTB would be muy apreciado.

• Options
    As always I should be avoiding these episodes because I always end up adding something to my pull order because of it. LOL

But sincerely, thank you for doing these episodes. They help in pointing out things I may have passed one.

This is the first time though for me where I won't be getting at least an issue that you'll be covering in Off the Racks. I'll still of course listen to the episode when it happens to hear your thoughts, but I have not been a fan of JrJr's art in the last several years (love his earlier years), I'm not a huge Hulk fan, and I'm not a Star Trek fan (even though I like the concept for why they are doing the story). But even though I won't be reading them, I will enjoy hearing your reviews of them.
  • Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    edited April 2014

I'm confused (shocking, I know). Thought Murd said those 3 titles were going to to be the subject of the next "Off the Racks," but at the end, he said it would be Superman #32, Savage Hulk #1, and Star Trek: The City on the Edge of Forever.

A little clarification from TPTB would be muy apreciado.

Moon Knight, Silver Surfer, and Magnus will be the subjects of the next Off the Racks episode we RECORD, as announced three Previews episodes ago, when we reviewed the January catalog. Look for it around the end of this month.

Superman, Savage Hulk, and The City on the Edge of Forever are our most recent selections for use as Off the Racks subject texts, so they're the "next" set of Off the Racks picks in one sense, although we won't actually be discussing them until sometime in July.

Our apologies for the ambiguity--there's many a slip between mic and lip! 8-}
  • Options
    Gotcha. Thanks, Murd. I think the slip occurred between earphones and ear though. :-)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I was pleasantly surprised by that Moon Knight #1 also. Anyway, thanks for the episode even with the skeleton crew! Even though I don't usually like Hulk comics so much, I will get the off the rack pick, because I DO like Alan Davis art (just as I got Red Hulk because I like Ed McGuinness art). The other two picks have me curious also. Now I will spend a few minutes wading through the summer glut of comics I don't want narrowing them down to comics I really want.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    alienal said:

I will get the off the rack pick, because I DO like Alan Davis art (just as I got Red Hulk because I like Ed McGuinness art).

Art Adams has some really fun/good stories in the Red Hulk series. The art was perfect for a Hulk book.

That Hulk series was really fun; the only downfall was not revealing the Red Hulk's identity at the end of the first story arc. The mystery just drug the series down a stupid-hole instead of just being a fun series of Red Hulk bashing the crap out of other big Marvel Monsters.