Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Star Wars Expanded Universe is Officially Over

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Would somebody just help Kenny out of the damn crate!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

So I'm being cynical.

What do you suppose Peter Mayhew's lines are?

"OOOOORRRR!"

and

"OOOOOOOOORRRRR!"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Would somebody just help Kenny out of the damn crate!

Not until he's housebroken.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

So I'm being cynical.

"OOOOORRRR!"

and

"OOOOOOOOORRRRR!"
    But what do those lines mean?!?!
  • Options
    This is getting exciting. I'm almost tempted to start posting at theforce.net's boards again. Its only been 20 years...
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2014

I have been a lifelong Star Wars fan and a huge fan of the EU (duh, if you look at my podcast it's pretty obvious). I own all 150+ novels and I own all of the Dark Horse comics in one form or another. I love the stories and the continuity that was created to expand this universe.

I am not upset about the news of the past EU ending. When you look at it, it had to. There would be no way to really do the new movies with any justice if you were tied to what was done in the books and comics. So I am looking forward to this new start and seeing what they do with it. And as said above, those stories are still there for me to read anytime I want to (and to have the fun of still collecting them, I am going to try to get the floppies of everything that I only have in trade form).

I am excited for the new start. I think they are crazy for thinking that they will be able to have everything count going forward as offical canon (comics, TV, books, everything). It wasn't possible to be done with the past EU as much as they tried and I find it hard to accomplish for this new EU, but I hope they can pull it off.

I am excited to see the cast together and can't wait to see what comes out at the end. It's going to be a great ride for me and I get positive chills just thinking about new Star Wars movies all over again (yes, I was excited about the Prequels and I was let down a bit, but I don't hate the Prequels and I'm grateful for them with all of the EU that came out because of them.) I will remain hopeful that these new films will be amazing, and I will be there opening night to see them.

THIS.

(As the kids say)

I have read some EU stuff (only a fraction of what you have), and I think that is a good way to look at it. It was some exploration and entertainment of the characters at a time when it seemed unlikely the actual saga (of movies) would continue. But there is no reason it had to become some sort of binding contract. And now that the actual saga is continuing, then I would rather them be free to do whatever they think is best.
  • Options

WetRats said:

So I'm being cynical.

"OOOOORRRR!"

and

"OOOOOOOOORRRRR!"
    But what do those lines mean?!?!
    I believe they mean "J.J. better not screw this up" and "Does anyone know a good barber? My hair has gotten to a point that I can't do anything with it."
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    If you follow the Zahn books - which are no longer canon - Chewbacca had a speech impediment. :)
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I've read a large portion of the EU. I'm not surprised at all. I'm not sad at all. Had to happen. If anything, we wi get a whole new EU in a few years. I'm not even sure why this became big news again recently. Must be because of the cast photo and an interview or two. I feel like we knew right away that the new movies were not going to be based on Heir to the Empire or anything else, to me that said right away the EU was going to be either thrown away or dramatically altered. It had to be.

I refuse to get worked up over this movie. Before episode 1 came out I remember being obsessed about its release. Not going to complain about the movie, but it taught me a valuable lesson. I used to think "I can't wait!" About movies all the time. Now I never feel that. Sure, Iook forward to things, but in the meantime I try to focus on great things that are here right now. When Epusode 7 is almost out, then I'll get excited. Until then, I'll be watching XMen Days of Future Past, and Game of Thrones and reading (I just bought a new STar Wars EU book this week too). It's all good.

Just so long as JJ doesn't have 50 million lens flares
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Planeis said:

If anything, we wi get a whole new EU in a few years.

We get a whole new EU starting in September, over a year before the first next movie comes out, when the first book comes out.

I'm confident that it will stay within reason. How many, on average, lens flares were in 1-6?
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Planeis said:

If anything, we wi get a whole new EU in a few years.

We get a whole new EU starting in September, over a year before the first next movie comes out, when the first book comes out.

I'm confident that it will stay within reason. How many, on average, lens flares were in 1-6?
    0? I don't know. Real lens flares aren't like the ones JJ purposefully added to ST. They might make a tiny glint on the screen for a quarter of one second and be gone. JJ shines giant lights into the camera on purpose for extended periods of time, often during scenes of dialogue and end up covering actors faces.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I doubt he felt beholden to a style for Star Trek. I think he will for Star Wars.
  • Options
    I actually subscribed to Star Wars Insider last night...what's happening to me? I'm getting that SW fever again...
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Reset the universe? Reboot? Slash down the continuity to a manageable level, just to build it all back up again. That a new one to all of us comic fans.

Maybe the EU took place in the Earth-8311 Universe?