Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

"A Salute to Jamie D." Talkback Thread

It's an installment of Comic Geek Speak we'd hoped never to record: the entire cast gathers, joined by friends and extended family members in the studio and by well-wishing listeners via voice-mail, to share fond memories of our departed brother and friend, Jamie D. (2:57:52)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    What a phenomenal podcast tribute. It was great to listen to Jamie's life and career be celebrated by his friends and loved ones like that. I found it very touching, and I'm sure many of the CGS'ers found it more than a bit cathartic, especially given how heartbreaking the brief podcast announcement of his passing was. Poor Pants ... my heart went out to you having to break the news like that. What a fortunate man Jamie was to have had friends like you folks (and vice versa, of course)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm glad you guys capped it off with Jamie's rant on John de Lancie, because I was fine until the very last voicemail and was ready to lose it.

Thank you for sharing all of those stories and memories of Jamie.
  • Options
    Royal_LanternRoyal_Lantern Posts: 291
    Such a great episode, and a fitting tribute to Jamie. It was great to hear you all talk about him. He will be missed, but never forgotten. I echo the statements made about how if you can get any gift out of this, it's at least the friends and family get to see truly how much he meant to people, and at least we do have a legacy of recordings to listen to him whenever we want to hear Jamie being Jamie.

My thoughts are with you all. Jamie was truly a great guy and welcoming friend to all.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Listening to the podcast, and the 2005 SDCC trip got brought up.

Important question: There was an epic Uncle Sal episode that had the monkey & Jamie at the SD zoo. Which year was that?

Also thank you guys for this podcast.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    mwhitt80 said:

Important question: There was an epic Uncle Sal episode that had the monkey & Jamie at the SD zoo. Which year was that?

That was 2008 and I think the episode you're referring to is Episode 498.

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Job well done, fellas (and lady-fellas). Job well done.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Pants said:

Thank you. Time to go listen to epicness.
  • Options
    Wow, just got done listening on my day off. So proud to be a part of this community. Thanks to sister for sharing her family stories and letting us be a part of sending him off. If I ever make it to PA I will leave my cap shield pin on his place of rest.
  • Options
    Thank you guys, thank and bless you Shana and Mr. D and a great big hug to Drunk Cap.
  • Options
    iaconiacon Posts: 6
    Great episode. It was fantastic hearing everyone together to reminisce and share. Thanks all. Jamie will be missed.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Thanks for this, everyone.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    I must admit, I finished this episode while on The Manhattan Bridge. I was about two seconds away from being that weird guy crying on the subway. Cap's salute...damn.
  • Options
    DrNorgeDrNorge Posts: 11
    Loved the episode! Well done!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    When I read the obituary I got to the CGS names and thought of someone unfamiliar with the podcast or any of the guys thinking, What's a "Murd?" And who the hell names their kid "Pants?". Glad I wasn't the only one that thought something like this.
  • Options
    Some things don't translate well to our significant others.
    I was trying to explain to the Missus just how awesome the Drunk Cap thing was.
    I told her it was heart-breaking, touching, genuine, and a fitting a tribute to Jamie.
    She just looked at me and said, "That drunk guy? That drunk guy on the internet?"

Sigh.

Well, it moved me.
    It moved me so much, I refuse to listen to it again.
    Kind of like the end of Field of Dreams.
    It would destroy me.

Kudos once again Cap and safe home Jamie.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Great episode. Drunk Cap, I salute you for putting into words what I couldn't.
    I 'd like to add my voice to the people who said that you guys have been a part of my life for almost 10 years now and I feel I know you all so well - even though you guys hardly know me. Its a weird one sided friendship. You've all been a part of my life almost every day (I've listened to EVERY FREKING EPISODE!) and although I knew this was coming, it still hurts like hell. I will really miss you Jamie.....

Pants, thank you for stepping back into the big chair. As much good natured ribbing you get from everyone, I think you are a natural at running the show. Think of it as your own David Letterman outlet.
  • Options
    HowardABHowardAB Posts: 10
    Where I live, there are not a lot of comic book geeks. If I want to have a face to face conversation with someone who loves the medium as much as we do, I have to travel at least a half hour to get there. Having you on my radio makes it a lot easier to hear what others have to say about the industry we love. I have always looked forward to listening to the CGS guys because I felt that I could relate to their passion about comic books.

As a listener, you get the feeling that if you happened to pass buy the studio while the CGS guys were recording, they'd tell you to pull up a chair and join in on the conversation. There have been many times where I have found myself answering what I heard on my radio, though I knew there would be no response. Each person brought their individual perspective to the show....though, I found myself relating to Jamie more than anyone else.

I loved listening to him throw in history, that I may have forgotten, into the conversation. His excitement when something new was being released was contagious. When he loved something, he didn't hold back... not that he gushed about things... he just appreciated a good story and great art. Once again, I could relate to what he was saying, and understand what he meant.

In a terrible coincidence, I lost my Mom from pancreatic cancer 17 days before Jamie died. While I cannot truly feel what is going on in your minds and hearts, I can tell you that I understand the pain of losing someone from this bastard of a disease. Like Jamie, my Mom fought the good fight, and raged against the dying of the light. Unfortunately, we lost these good people far too soon.

As a fan, I am going to miss Jamie. Bravo, sir... you made a mark on the comic book industry.... and personally, to me as well. Thank you for all you've done.

And CGS guys... What an outstanding tribute that you did for Jamie.. Thanks for making us feel like we're part of the conversation.....God bless you all.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377

I must admit, I finished this episode while on The Manhattan Bridge. I was about two seconds away from being that weird guy crying on the subway. Cap's salute...damn.

So weird. I also finished this while crossing the Manhattan Bridge, though I was driving. It was a very moving tribute for someone who, even though I didn't know, I like many others felt like I had gotten to know. Jamie had a certain special ingredient quality to him that without it CGS will have a very different flavor.
  • Options
    ParallaxParallax Posts: 10
    edited May 2014
    A fitting tribute, gentlemen (and lady). Nice to have everyone back again, although of course, we wish it was under better circumstances.

Cap's message at the end destroyed me. Once again, he lost his Bucky.

It's at least a small comfort to know that Jamie's probably up there right now Simon & Kirby all about how awesome Cap 2 was.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Rock solid tribute for Jamie & his memory. My thoughts & prayers are w/ you all.

Matthew
  • Options
    I was doubled over laughing about Jimmy smearing the cases at the comic shop. That was a hilarious story.

I laughed and cried during the episode. Thank you.
  • Options
    HowardAB said:

In a terrible coincidence, I lost my Mom from pancreatic cancer 17 days before Jamie died. While I cannot truly feel what is going on in your minds and hearts, I can tell you that I understand the pain of losing someone from this bastard of a disease. Like Jamie, my Mom fought the good fight, and raged against the dying of the light. Unfortunately, we lost these good people far too soon.

Sorry for your loss as well. It seems like this time of year has not been kind to many people. It's a horrible disease.
  • Options
    Great episode. Kevin's story about Jamie's snoring and the loud radiator had me gasping for air, I was laughing so hard. Actually, I pretty much alternated between tears because I was crying and tears because I was laughing so hard throughout the whole episode. Luckily, my co-workers are used to me by now and didn't think much of it. Drunk Cap's tribute was devastating, and I'll just echo what others have said and say thank you for ending with that epic rant.
  • Options
    Dan_CapDan_Cap Posts: 39
    This was a great tribute, and like many others have said being a loyal listener for years
    it feels like losing an IRL friend. I was sad but ok until the drunk cap and rant at the end, then
    just bawling.
  • Options
    Jamie, the 1 and only. He is missed by all who knew of him. R. I.P., now that you are home.

P.S., Thank you for the tuff, tuff recent episodes in Jamie’s honor. All of you pulled it off with grief, humor, grace and love in the most beautiful and respectful way possible. Thank you Gentlemen, Top Shelf every time.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Thanks for this one, everyone. I think we all needed this.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Lovely tribute episode with laughter as well as tears.

Will there be a sponsorship page for the Jamie's Avengers 5k team?
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Pants said:

mwhitt80 said:

Mad Skillz Mr. Pants. Mad Skillz indeed!
  • Options
    Big_JimBig_Jim Posts: 3
    Thanks for such an amazing tribute to a wonderful guy. I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to meet and talk to Jamie a few times over the years, and he was nothing if not gracious and patient with my dumb jokes. We bonded over our love of film, and television. My only regret is that I was not able to come out to more CGS functions due to distance and time. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to make it out to his memorial service on Wednesday, but I'll definitely be thinking about him. All my love to Jamie's family, the CGS crew and their families, and all of Jamies loyal listeners and fans. Let's all strive to be a bit more like Jamie and pass our love for comics on to the kids. It would be a fitting legacy to a man who did just that.