Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Original Sin: Guesses and Speculations

UPDATE: This thread SPOILS Original Sin 1-4 plus tie in issues.

(SPOILERS FOR ORIGINAL SIN 1-5)

The killer:

1. Used a gun to kill The Watcher.

2. The bullet is green with gamma radiation.

3. The killer has been killing monsters all over the universe(and other dimensions) for many years.

4. They are a great shot. Punisher says only 10 people in the MU could have made the shot that was made in the other dimension.

5. Has enough ammo and the ability to kill a living planet.

I think it's a given the killer will not be Bucky or any of the other characters we've met so far.

The boss in the shadows has access to the gamma bullets but I don't think he is the killer either.

Those of you who are reading Original Sin..do you have any guesses?

Monster hunters...

Red hulk once had a big, gold gun..gamma tie in.. and he punched out The Watcher too...

I don't know why White Wolf, but why not...

Finally...The Obliterator..the Elder of the Universe obsessed with hunting other lifeforms:

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Cyclops did it...because he's a jerk! :)
  • Options
    MacGillicuttyMacGillicutty Posts: 38
    edited June 2014
    I don't think Bucky is the killer but if he isn't involved, why blow up the ship and abandon Gamora and Moon Knight and then go after Fury? I don't believe for a moment that the Fury we saw at the end of the last issue was "the" Nick Fury. I suppose it's possible that Bucky is either being controlled or it's not him at all.

As to the mysterious boss, I'm still scratching my head on that one. The guy standing kind of behind the boss could have a been wearing a SHIELD uniform, I wouldn't be shocked to see it turn out to be Nick or a version of him. I'm not sure who could get Emma to work with T'Challa and Ant-Man, Starnge and Punisher isn't too far fteched for a team-up and neither is Bucky and Moon Knight, but when you add Gamora, I don't know.

I've been trying to come up with a list of sharpshooters besides Punisher, but really can't think of of handfull of names.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
  • Options
    I love this thread if only because it's about actual comic content instead of all the inside baseball that gets talked about here (which I also enjoy most times but I think dominates the conversation.) This actually makes the storyline exciting for me.

As for my guess- Hawkeye, in the blue area of the moon, with the wrench gamma rifle.

Brainwashed of course, by hypno-hustler who is trying to keep his post-disco KISS phase a secret.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2014
    Issue #4 is out..please label any posts talking about it as SPOILERS as I'm sure it will take a few days for some of us to read it.

I love this thread if only because it's about actual comic content instead of all the inside baseball that gets talked about here

Yup, and I managed not to tie it into a movie or tv show...I almost feel like it should be in the off topic forum.

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    The revelation that Thor has a sister is going to take an interesting turn according to some previews I've seen.

Click here for spoilers.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

The revelation that Thor has a sister is going to take an interesting turn according to some previews I've seen.

Click here for spoilers.

Thor has a sister?

Dibs!
  • Options

Click here for spoilers.

Originally, I didn't like the premise of whom Thor's sister turns out to be. I think by doing this they diminish what little uniqueness the character has in the greater Marvel Universe. It does make some sense though and I can't wait to read how they spin it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ISSUE #4 SPOILERS!!!

¡SPOILERS!

Ok, not a lot of new info about the killer. However we had one hell of a final page. The "shadow boss" turned out to be the real Nick Fury....aged...really aged. Bucky killed a sophisticated LMD.

Why is Fury so old? Has something gone wrong with the serum? Was there ever a serum and has it been a lie all along?

• Options
    Did'nt Nick give his last dose of the infinity formula to Bucky when Sin busted him all up in Fear Itself?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited June 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

4. They are a great shot. Punisher says only 10 people in the MU could have made the shot that was made in the other dimension.

I would LOVE to see that full list.
    I'm guessing Barney and Clint Barton would both be on it. Definitely Bullseye. Obviously Frank Castle, and Bucky (as implied by issue 3). Who else makes the 10? Maybe Domino? Cable? Deathlok? Taskmaster?

Like the your Bloodstone theory. Can't see it happening though. And I think Bloodstone is presumed dead (not that it means anything).

Aside from the few interesting tidbits that you have presented, I am finding this "event" a huge mess. I don't have a clue what is going on and nothing feels connected. It is all over the map. What is up with the Mindless Ones? I'm sure by the end it will all come together and I'll change my tune. But right now... it is looking like a train wreck. Never been a fan of Mike Deodato artwork, so that isn't helping matters much either.
  • Options
    Hex said:

What is up with the Mindless Ones?

The Mindless Ones were exposed to one of the eyes. I'm assuming to the second one held by the killer. When they were exposed they were made self aware("I KNOW!")...no longer mindless. I think Aaron used them, in part, because they are analogous to Adam and Eve who were made aware after the biblical original sin. It's also interesting, and should be noted in my facts about the killer above, that he/she/it has access to the Mindless Ones.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    IIRC the last time we saw Dr Midas/Cosmic Man before his reappearance in this series he was being killed by Mindless Ones.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Great thread, @Mr_Cosmic‌. I read 4 last night and have been loving this story so far. Will add more thoughts soon.
  • Options
    Brack said:

IIRC the last time we saw Dr Midas/Cosmic Man before his reappearance in this series he was being killed by Mindless Ones.

Oh! That's interesting...any chance you remember what comic that was?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Brack said:

Oh! That's interesting...any chance you remember what comic that was?

Marvel Boy (2000). He and Oubliette/Exterminatrix, his daughter, were both characters introduced in that series. In issue 6, he ends up banished to Subwhere, as Mindless Ones descend on him he wonders how he can turn it to his advantage.

While he didn't use those two characters, Aaron wrote the Morrison Marvel Boy in Dark Reign: The List — Wolverine #1. And did a much better job than his portrayal in Dark Avengers at the time. For a start he actually knew what his powers were.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited June 2014
    I like the point @solitaireRose made on his podcast last week...

Why is the Punisher involved in a cosmic murder mystery - or for that matter, hanging out with super-heroes at all?

BTW - Great story from Marvel, so far.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Why is the Punisher involved in a cosmic murder mystery - or for that matter, hanging out with super-heroes at all?

Yes, and I have to agree with both of you. As much fun as some of the dialogue between him and other characters has been I think the Punisher is out of place in this story.

@SolitaireRose also said on his podcast that he has a pretty good idea who the killer is...share, Cory, share! :)

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Yes, and I have to agree with both of you. As much fun as some of the dialogue between him and other characters has been I think the Punisher is out of place in this story.
    I totally disagree.

The Dr Strange / Punisher pairing is my favourite thing about the series. It's a shame the other unusual team ups arranged by the mystery boss weren't as oddball or had as much friction. And remember, at this point, the Marvel Universe Punisher has died at least twice, been an avenging angel AND been a Frankenstein. Becoming buddy detectives with Stephen Strange isn't all that odd when you really think about it.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Brack said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I totally disagree.

The Dr Strange / Punisher pairing is my favourite thing about the series. It's a shame the other unusual team ups arranged by the mystery boss weren't as oddball or had as much friction. And remember, at this point, the Marvel Universe Punisher has died at least twice, been an avenging angel AND been a Frankenstein. Becoming buddy detectives with Stephen Strange isn't all that odd when you really think about it.
    I agree. Strange teamed up with Frank doesn't seem all that out of place to me and i really enjoyed their interactions thus far. Rocket and Frank in a gun size pissing contest, that's good stuff.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I totally disagree.

Hmmm... That's a good point.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on Thor and Loki's half-sister?

SPOILER!

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited June 2014
    SPOILERS FOR #4 below...

I'm enjoying this Marvel Event more than any in a long time. While I appreciated the scope of Infinity, I'm enjoying Original Sin more on an issue-by-issue basis. It has me intrigued when I thought I wouldn't be. The flavor of this and the unlikely match-ups feel very unique to me.

As for what the actual solution to the mysteries are... I have no idea. Aaron is using a lot of obscure characters, and while that's a plus in my book -- because I love remembering them and/or learning about them -- it puts me totally at a loss to surmise who's behind it all or why. It could be anyone. But I would guess that the big reveal(s) will probably entail major characters rather than a villain that appeared in two issues of Dr. Strange 40 years ago (or whatever).

I guessed that the Nick Fury killed last issue was an LMD... but I guess that's not a major leap. No idea what the deal is with the newly revealed aged Nick Fury, but it's interesting as hell. No idea either why Bucky wouldn't let Moon Knight and Gamora know what was going on -- that's either a fairly UNfair plot-hole or else it still points toward Bucky (if it's the real Bucky) being deceitful.

I'm loving how Aaron has been using those characters from Morrison's Marvel Boy series as well. THOSE TWO would have been just fine to reveal as the Big Bads later on, but if they're just underlings or whatever, then... wow. I have no idea who could be behind it all or why, but so far I feel pretty confident that Aaron will tie everything up nicely.

Deodato's art has always been fine in my book, and I love the way it looks here. Creepy, dark art fits the story well.

I guess the only negative I could give this event is that the tie-in mini-series seem overwhelming. They haven't quite hit stands yet, but I'm looking at the schedule and seeing all kinds of "point" issues, and most of them seem unnecessary and tedious. I'm not buying Original SinS. I guess I would just look at the creative teams and subject matter.

Going by that, the aforementioned "Thor & Loki: The Tenth Realm" (which is also "Original Sin #5.1-5.5" *SIGH*) looks good. It's at least primarily written by Aaron, so probably it's worth a buy. But I'm looking at the advertisements and the solicitations, and maybe it's just me... but they're not matching up. At least, Al Ewing's name is in the ads but not the solicits... and I don't want to buy this if it's just "plotted" by Jason Aaron but actually written by someone else. Also, the solicits show Dale Keown as an artist... but his name is missing from the ads. Maybe he's just doing covers...

Either way, I'm really enjoying the event so far. It's far exceeded my expectations.

If people are on the fence about this... It's worth it just to see the Punisher interact with Rocket Raccoon.
  • Options
    As I understand it Aaron and Ewing are co-writing as Aaron writes Thor God of Thunder and Ewing writes Loki Agent of Asgard. Likewise Bianchi and regular Loki artist Garbett are co-artists, Keown is just on covers. The mini-series replaces LAoA for 2 months and TGoT for a month.

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    ^Ooooh, okay. That makes sense, then. I'm not reading the Loki series, but I've always liked Garbett's art. So, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Thoughts? Only one:
    SHOEHORN!

Not a fan of Gaiman's Angela character. I don't like how she has been squeezed into Guardians of the Galaxy. And this half-sister business feels really, really forced.
    I haven't read it yet, so I'll keep an open mind, but... I don't have high hopes.
  • Options
    It would make more sense if she was Hercules' half sister, what with the name Angela coming from the Greek language and Zeus' procreational habits. But he doesn't have a comic at the moment.
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think the Angela thing will last...another Ragnarok story and her time as Thor's sister will be nothing more than a trivia question.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Thoughts? Only one:
    SHOEHORN!

Not a fan of Gaiman's Angela character. I don't like how she has been squeezed into Guardians of the Galaxy. And this half-sister business feels really, really forced.
    I haven't read it yet, so I'll keep an open mind, but... I don't have high hopes.
    I agree that the character feels shoehorned into the MU, but having just read her introduction in GotG it feels, at least to me, that this was always the plan for her. A lot of the dialogue from those few issues stands out as clues that point in the general direction of this revelation.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549

Click here for spoilers.

Originally, I didn't like the premise of whom Thor's sister turns out to be. I think by doing this they diminish what little uniqueness the character has in the greater Marvel Universe. It does make some sense though and I can't wait to read how they spin it.
    Anyone think this is fall out from the Everything Burns story arc from Fraction's Thor and Gillen's Journey into Mystery? At the end of that story arc one of the triumvirate of Asgardia sealed the deal with Odin and created a new heir to combine the two bloodlines.

Did'nt Nick give his last dose of the infinity formula to Bucky when Sin busted him all up in Fear Itself?

Yes, he gave what little he had left. Before that he used a majority of it to save Mockingbird back in Bendis' second New Avengers.

Personally, I'm enjoying Original Sin. I think I enjoy how the titles tie in (so far) even more. Everything (again so far) spins out of the end of Original Sin #2 and doesn't tie back into the main book.