Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Original Sin: Guesses and Speculations

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    It's all just a big FU to McFarlane, isn't it?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Deathlock story in Original Sins #1 was good but I could have done without the Young Avengers tale.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    WetRats said:

It's all just a big FU to McFarlane, isn't it?

When the lawsuit finally ended and he brought Angela over to Marvel I was hoping so badly that he had the rights to Medieval Spawn. That would be the ultimate FU.

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Deathlock story in Original Sins #1 was good but I could have done without the Young Avengers tale.

Yeah the art on the YA story really turned me off. I'll try to see if it grows on me but I doubt it.

• Options
    im going to the comic store to day is orginal sins worth picking up i mean ehh what could happen right preswuaed me
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I heard a rumor that Original Sin #5 was out..I can't comment yet as I've yet to read it..if you do have something to say about it please remember SPOILER tags! :)
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Not much ground covered in Original Sin #5, yet it was the issue I enjoyed the most so far. I was pretty excited to see the throwback to this...
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Original Sin #5 was good. The mystery gets even more, uh ... mysterious?
  • Options
    Yeah #5 explained the gamma bullets and who was killing the monsters but I don't think The Watcher's killer is the same person.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Anybody read Tenth Realm #1?

• Options
    Greg said:

Yes, it was OK. The reveal at the end was silly because it was spoiled on the cover. I haven't kept up with Thor so the two Lokis confused me.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Greg said:

Yes, it was OK. The reveal at the end was silly because it was spoiled on the cover. I haven't kept up with Thor so the two Lokis confused me.

Yeah, not very revealing. I had no idea what the deal was with the two Loki's. I guess the story is in how Aldrif is made into Angela and how Loki uses of this to his advantage.
  • Options
    Rumors - Possible Spoilers - Rumors

Another podcast I listen to said they read online that a rumor going around is that somehow Nick Fury Sr. becomes the new watcher...
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Rumors - Possible Spoilers - Rumors

Another podcast I listen to said they read online that a rumor going around is that somehow Nick Fury Sr. becomes the new watcher...

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I haven't kept up with Thor so the two Lokis confused me.

Well, I *have* kept up with Thor, and I'm still confused by the two Lokis! LOL!

• Options
    That having been said, I loved the Angela backstory in this issue. I bought in. Thought it was explained from a fairly logical, continuity-driven standpoint.

On another note, you'd think the Avengers would've sent Thor to, I don't know, some sort of class on "tact" or something. The scene where he comes bursting in on his mother demanding to know about his sister made me want to slap him.
  • Options

On another note, you'd think the Avengers would've sent Thor to, I don't know, some sort of class on "tact" or something. The scene where he comes bursting in on his mother demanding to know about his sister made me want to slap him.

That's kind of classic Thor though isn't it? Reminded me of the time I interrupted a meeting between the general manager and our investors at a restaurant I was cooking at about twenty years ago. It was a week or two before Christmas and our paychecks bounced. Not one paycheck, a lot of them. for a lot of people. That was actually kind of fun. The look the investors gave the manager was priceless. Turned out she was stealing money.
  • Options
    Greg said:

That's kind of classic Thor though isn't it?

Quite.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    #6 SPOILERS:

Still don't know for sure who killed The Watcher. We learned why Fury is old and why he chose the odd mix of heroes to go on the missions. The Orb, Midas, and anyone who was on the Moon at the time of The Watcher's death are changing..Midas looks like a glowing Ben Grimm. Fury now has both of The Watcher's eyes and has a glowing eye socket where his patch used to be.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Mr_Cosmic said:

#6 SPOILERS:

Still don't know for sure who killed The Watcher. We learned why Fury is old and why he chose the odd mix of heroes to go on the missions. The Orb, Midas, and anyone who was on the Moon at the time of The Watcher's death are changing..Midas looks like a glowing Ben Grimm. Fury now has both of The Watcher's eyes and has a glowing eye socket where his patch used to be.

I found #6 a let down after the previous issue (enjoyed the Art Adams cover though!)
    sloooooowwwwww.

Midas has had the appearance of a glowing Ben Grim before Original Sin (trying to replicate the powers of the FF).
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Greg said:

Yeah, not very revealing. I had no idea what the deal was with the two Loki's. I guess the story is in how Aldrif is made into Angela and how Loki uses of this to his advantage.

Mr_Cosmic said:

I haven't kept up with Thor so the two Lokis confused me.

Well, I *have* kept up with Thor, and I'm still confused by the two Lokis! LOL!

You'd have to read Loki: Agent of Asgard...but basically it's the future version of Loki is in our time making sure the future is fulfilled and he comes to be. He's also working with the High Mother's of Asgardia.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

#6 SPOILERS:

I found #6 a let down after the previous issue (enjoyed the Art Adams cover though!)
    sloooooowwwwww.

Midas has had the appearance of a glowing Ben Grim before Original Sin (trying to replicate the powers of the FF).
    Ok, I missed that about Midas...thanks for the info!

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Been way behind on discussing it, but I have been loving Original Sin so far. I haven't read the other minis, and only the tie-ins that I was already reading (i.e. Avengers). But to just judge from the main book, I have really dug it.

I like the ways that it is unusual for an "event" book. It is not an invasion or a war. It is, at least not yet, a battle of heroes vs. heroes. I like that it is a mystery. That what is happening is quieter in certain ways. Sure, the Watcher has been murdered, and these secrets have got out, but it hasn't required whole cities to be destroyed (yet) to make it seem like the stakes are high.

I love the weird cast of B and C list heroes and villains getting the focus. Sure, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, and Wolverine are around. But they seem to be less focused on. That eclectic mix of characters that Fury plucked out to be potential successors are a nice, odd group of characters that you don't usually see together, and often don't see in a big story like this.

And all the focus on Fury- especially after he has been mostly offstage the last few years- has been great. Sure it is a retcon, but all the stuff about what he was secretly doing in the past decades, including before and during the emergence of the rest of the superheroes, works. It rings true and makes sense. To me, that is a retcon done right-- adding a new layer to a long-lived character that deepens it. (As opposed to ones that are just there to cover up old mistakes, or contradict ideas that have fallen out of favor).

I don't really have many guesses or speculation about what will happen in the rest of the story. They totally fooled me on the Fury death, for what I thought were skillful meta-reasons: because I assume they want to get rid of Fury Sr. to focus solely on Fury Jr. and make the Nick Fury brand consistent across movies and comics, I just believed that they would bring in Fury Sr. in this story to give him a big send off. So when we saw the death, I figured that was it, vs. LMD (which would always have been my assumption five or ten years ago). Now, we may still get that by the end of this story, but they did succeed in fooling me once.

And, even if this story does end up being the swan song for Fury Sr., it is a good one. And a nice change of pace as far as summer event books go.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    A couple of things about why I'm enjoying this:

The core book feels like Aaron being allowed to do his thing in his voice, rather than have the weight of the whole Marvel line crush it into something flat and monotonous.

And the tie-in aspect of "a secret is revealed" allows enough variation from book to book that they don't feel as repetitive as "Yet another person revealed to be a Skrull" or "The Dark Avengers show up to fight the title character to a standstill".
  • Options
    Isn't it interesting that Fury Jr. is nowhere to be seen in this book...especially noticeable in his absence from Sr.'s list of possible successors.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Isn't it interesting that Fury Jr. is nowhere to be seen in this book...especially noticeable in his absence from Sr.'s list of possible successors.

Agreed. I imagine we might get at least a scene with him before the end. But I am guessing that the job Fury Sr. is handing off is not one he would wish on his own son.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Agreed. I imagine we might get at least a scene with him before the end. But I am guessing that the job Fury Sr. is handing off is not one he would wish on his own son.
    Leave the fate of the world to Punisher or Ant Man instead ;)

No, you make a good point. Plus, Jr. already finds his dad a bit sketchy..if he knew all the stuff his father has done..well..why risk lowering his opinion of him even further.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Leave the fate of the world to Punisher or Ant Man instead ;)

No, you make a good point. Plus, Jr. already finds his dad a bit sketchy..why risk lowering his opinion of him even further.
    Well, if the fate of the world rests on shooting space monsters. . .

(Okay, Ant Man still doesn't make much sense.)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Original Sin #7 SPOILERS

The Orb had dreams of the Watcher's lair before ever going there.

The eyes are now glowing. Fury fights the Avengers before saying goodbye to Cap and flying off with the eyes.

The Orb has changed and now has the same power The Watcher used to defend himself.

Fury whispers something to Thor that somehow causes him to become unworthy.

In a flashback: The Orb, Midas, and Exterminatrix tried to rob The Watcher and The Orb shot him. Later Old Man Fury finds Uatu injured(but alive), leaking energy, and missing one eye. We are meant to assume Fury finishes him off and takes the second eye. The last scene shows a group of Watchers hovering above the Moon.

Orb, Midas, and Exterminatrix return to the Moon. Midas wants to take everything while the now uber powerful Orb has returned to view The Watchers "last secret."
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Mr_Cosmic said:

the now uber powerful Orb has returned to view The Watchers "last secret."

Galactus' sex tape.