Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Saga

This book needs and deserves its own thread. I just finished my second read of #2 and I think it managed to surpass #1! Damn brilliant! There was not a single thing I did not love about this issue. Literally nothing. This is the comic I have been wanting to read for a long time now, seriously perfect!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I won't get #2 until my DCBS order arrives at the end of the month but I've read the first one and loved it.
  • Options
    OMFG

I know people throw around OMFG a lot these days but this book deserves it. So many jaw dropping moments. So freaking creative. When I first saw the stalk I was thinking that I would still do her then she exposed her lower half and I was like hmmm. Where would it go in? The Asian train thing was neat. I love "The Will" he is definitely a Han solo type character. If I ever was going to cos play I would be him. Wow just wow!
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @popcornsamurai That was almost my exact train of thought as well, including The Stalk :) It really is truly worthy of the praise, I know to some it might seem like it is just a hype thing or hyperbole but 100% for me it is not, it is purely and entirely deserved and then some! I want to just crawl in these and live there. I actually am buying two issues of each so that I don't have to feel bad about re-reading one over and over, I will probably read this and devour the art at least a half dozen more times. aaaaaaaarrrrgggghhh... words fail to capture my sheer bliss and joy.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    I love BKV, and will continue to read whatever he writes, no questions asked, because he is amazing.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Even though I have a copy of #2 coming from DCBS, I had to go buy it off the rack today. And it continues to be fantastic. I didn't preorder future issues so that I can continue to buy it the day it comes out. Best new book of the year so far, and Image continues to be having a hell of a good year.
  • Options
    I really think this is going to be a comic for our times, this is what hate him or not, Moore was speaking about. I defy even him to say this doesn't have gravitas and style. For me this is one of those rare moments when I am willing to let my guard down and just be a fan. That happens so rarely after years of being a critic that when it does, it almost brings tears to my eyes. The crazy thing was that the art was not even by someone I enjoyed or instantly fell in love with, so that right there was a huge hurdle and I think part of the reason I had no real expectations or preconceived notions.

It hits everything for me as I said though and the fact that it makes me pause or genuinely be surprised multiple times in a read, even a re-read, is something that just doesn't happen to me. Even little touches like The Stalk's hair in the cliche covering the breast pose, except a nipple peaking through, are the extras that cement it in my heart. Not for any perverse reason but because it dares to just go that bit more, and in a lot of places, *that* is noteworthy and is also why I can't look forward more to each new issue than anything in a long time.

This could always still go down hill, but right now they have me 100% and I'm able to just entirely let go and enjoy the ride. I couldn't be happier for Image, comics in general, and the team on this book, I only hope this really causes people to finally break out of their pre-defined boxes and really push the envelope too. If I had even three titles close to this caliber coming out, I would drop every other comic I read and support them to such a ridiculous degree it would be silly. McFarlane has now worked with Daarken for their recent videogame and these two together could definitely top even this if they were put on a project. Daarken is one of my favorite artists currently working and with even a slight connection to Image I hope for some news to break there. Whether or not that happens, Saga has seriously made me excited for comics again, truly excited not just the usual anticipation of a continued tale.
  • Options
    i need to read this now!
  • Options
    The stalk was absolutely frightening, I literally might drop this book because I don't want to see a picture of it again.
  • Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    Yes this book is pretty amazing! After issue 1 I headed right over to Fiona's site to buy a page because the art is soo damn beautiful but found out she's all digital :( daaaamn you technology! ;)

• Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Issue #2 was great! I am really enjoying this. The first issue had so much promise, and the second issue really delivered on that.

Awesome. I'm on board.
  • Options
    @7h0m45 She is all digital and uses a style referred to as speedpainting/steampainting which artists like Daarken (that I mentioned above) also use and to some great effect. It is a style I dabble in in my digital work or for concepts, etc. and it takes some breaking of old habits and thought but really a cool and fast way to knock out some art that can have the look of much more labored over work. Does she sell prints? I honestly never checked.
  • Options
    I really enjoy this book as well. Haven't read too much BKV, and it was a chore for me to read the entire fist issue of Y, but this is really good.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Just picked up 1 & 2.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Came really close to picking up #2 the other day, but I'm waiting for the trade. I suspect this is something I'm going to want to read and enjoy in chunks.
  • Options
    @LibraryBoy I'd love to be able to hold out but I know I won't and I'll end up with the super-duperest hardcover edition as well :)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I don't even know what this is, but you guys make me want to go and get it.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    probably one of my favorite books right now. As a parent of a 2.5 year old and a 2 month old it particularly resonates. The only thing I have to get past is the modern lingo in a sci-fi setting, but once I'm immersed it is just awesome.
  • Options
    4.5 month old here, our first :)
  • Options
    probably one of my favorite books right now. As a parent of a 2.5 year old and a 2 month old it particularly resonates. The only thing I have to get past is the modern lingo in a sci-fi setting, but once I'm immersed it is just awesome.
    That is exactly what I don't like about Vaughn, in some of his other books, you can hear his voice in every character. For some reason I am not distracted by it in this book. Maybe because they are in this Star Wars-esque world and I can't point to any character and say that a person of that region and that background would speak like they do, since the world does not exist in real life. I wanted to hate the way The Stalk spoke. But I was able to just go along with it and enjoy. I wish I could say the same for Y.

• Options
    I am the first one to say this isn't flawless, there have been some clunkers in the dialogue dept. for sure, the rocketship forest thing, and there are science errors galore with just the setup for the world even... but aside from a few cringes that brought me out of it I find myself more just enjoying it as a whole than picking apart flaws. I don't even think this book is a universal must have, I think it has its niche and audience though and as much as I didn't think it was going to be me, I was completely wrong and it is my most anticipated monthly comic of everything left I am pulling.
  • Options
    I read the first two issues, and am interested, but not enthralled.

The sex and nudity seems sophomoric and unnecessary, beautifully-illustrated though it may be.
  • Options
    Huh, @WetRats, I found it to not be at all, I thought it brought a little extra edge to it rather than just go the standard PG-13 route all the time. When you make a no armed spider chick sexy, I think you've done a hell of a job personally :)
  • Options
    Huh, @WetRats, I found it to not be at all, I thought it brought a little extra edge to it rather than just go the standard PG-13 route all the time. When you make a no armed spider chick sexy, I think you've done a hell of a job personally :)
    I'm just not sure what spider tits or humping robots added to the story.

It definitely reminded me of the glory days of Heavy Metal, but I was an adolescent then, and any titillation was good titillation.

• Options
    I think it added some edginess and also helped take you further into the rabbit hole of the story which can and will take all kinds of twists and turns and keep you off-balance. I am personally all for more mature and adult aspects in stories, there are so many without and so many that are just blatantly about it that there are few that are in the middle-ground and I appreciate it. I kind of likened it in my mind to a siren, except an armless one, but even without arms still alluring and sexy and drew you in... as it was intended. I found it to be more meaningful and story-centric than just boobs and robot sex. It sets the scene and characters and also adds twists and turns in each case. For me it is just nice to see and not more of the same and I don't find it any different than a talking seahorse which I want to know more about as well.
  • Options
    @Zhurrie: It is entirely possible I am just old and jaded.

For me, all I got was a sense of 1970s European sci-fi comix, which I will admit was a nice change from the recent dominance of 1990s over-rendered splash pages full of ultraviolence.

But what might have been "edgy" in 1979, just seemed trite in 2012.

To me, the nudity in Watchmen, for instance, was an integral part of showing who the characters were. Dr. Manhattan's lack of modesty was a constant reminder of his having evolved beyond a normal human's mundane existence. The Stalk's bare breasts told me nothing about here character, other than to wonder why a spider would need mammaries.

I will admit that the robot humping scene did reveal that Prince Robot IV is suffering from some sort of post-traumatic dysfunction. It just didn't feel necessary to me.

In both cases, I found the "sexy" elements distracting, rather than engaging. They took me out of the story, rather than drawing me deeper.

Clearly our tastes differ.
  • Options
    @WetRats, definitely differing tastes/perspective. One of my favorite films of all-time is Eyes Wide Shut (the unrated one) and that got similar comments, that because of the day and age it was made in that it didn't have the same impact... I disagree. I think it was perfect and the point is to match the setting and story not go way overboard just to shock modern audiences or way under (like the digitally altered/censored one) which just looks bad and detracts from the whole.

I have very different sensibilities for sure and to use another movie analogy when I watch films by Larry Clark, Harmony Korine, etc. I tend to actually relate and I'm actually amazed when I see people slagging them for being over the top and unrealistic... I guess I just had a different life and experiences. A lot of times I find their films to be tamer than real life in many ways.

For me Saga fits like an old pair of jeans and I can't wait for more, and more adult/mature content when and where possible.
  • Options
    For me Saga fits like an old pair of jeans and I can't wait for more, and more adult/mature content when and where possible.
    I am happy for you, but to me the scenes in question were neither adult nor mature, just silly and distracting.
  • Options
    I'm really not sure why I don't see this as a love letter to Moebius in the same way I saw O.M.A.C. as a love letter to Jack Kirby. That may well have been the intent, but for me, it's lacking the essential je ne sais quois.

Again. Perhaps I'm just jaded. Been there, done that, have a whole closet full of t-shirts that no longer fit.
  • Options
    I'm not taking this as you vs. me or against Saga just to be clear (I know tone and intention is hard to convey in text sometimes) I just genuinely am interested in differing perspectives and don't mind chatting about them. It isn't my book so I have no dog in the fight, I do enjoy it a lot though and it matches my tastes and style well. (I would even go for way more of the adult/mature content personally even some of the tasteless type if it fit) I think the book could read too sappy/light otherwise due to the baby aspect and star-crossed lovers bit. I actually don't find a lot about the premise so far that is even that new or novel, but it is more the world and the setup that is intriguing.
  • Options
    @Zhurrie, I agree, both on the not-you-vs.-me and the intriguing setup.

I just don't find myself captivated and drawn in by story and character the way I did when I read the first issues of books like Mage, Nexus, or the brilliantAmerican Flagg.

American Flagg
    in particular. Nearly 30 years after the fact, I still find it to have the best first issue I've ever read. There was an insane amount of world-building, half-a dozen memorable character introductions, action, humor, intriguing plot threads, beautiful art... oh yeah, and it was sexy as hell.

I see Saga as trying to work on all those levels. And for the most part it succeeds. But from the buzz, I was hoping to be as blown away as I was by American Flagg #1. And I wasn't. But I was 21 when American Flagg #1 came out. Now I'm 50. I can't be sure whether those 29 intervening years have changed me to the point I just can't be that blown away anymore, or whether American Flagg #1 was just that much better than Saga #1.

I do know that I still want to be blown away like I was by American Flagg #1, so I guess I'm not too jaded.