Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

Desperation by Stephen King

6 chapters in and loving it. Tak!

When you're done follow it up with The Regulators (if you havn't already). Same story told by "Richard Bachman". they are very cool back to back.

Regulators is my second favorite Bachman book. With Rage being my favorite.
    I hated The Regulators. To me it seemed incomplete and disjointed. I've also got Desperation, but am yet to read. I've heard Desperation is better, I hope so because I actually liked the story, just not the way it was written. This is the only King book I've read that I really didn't like.

I'm about 100 pages into Insomnia right now and liking it so far. @dubbat138 I know you were not a fan of this. I'll have to give you my final thoughts when done.
    Yeah Insomnia is one of the few of his books I out right hated. Been so long since I read it I couldn't tell you why I hated it ,but I hated it enough to get rid of the hardback.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    On the fourth book of the Destroyermen series. Pretty good!
  • Options
    random73 said:

luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

Desperation by Stephen King

6 chapters in and loving it. Tak!

When you're done follow it up with The Regulators (if you havn't already). Same story told by "Richard Bachman". they are very cool back to back.

Regulators is my second favorite Bachman book. With Rage being my favorite.
    I hated The Regulators. To me it seemed incomplete and disjointed. I've also got Desperation, but am yet to read. I've heard Desperation is better, I hope so because I actually liked the story, just not the way it was written. This is the only King book I've read that I really didn't like.

I'm about 100 pages into Insomnia right now and liking it so far. @dubbat138 I know you were not a fan of this. I'll have to give you my final thoughts when done.
    both books kind of feed off each other so i can certainly understand the "disjointed" feeling. and while being very different they contain similar themes. the Bachman version is significantly more violent i think. King's version has something closer to a happy ending.
    See to me Regulators reads like a fun fast paced b-movie horror film. Where as Desperation is slower paced and feels more like a mid-70s horror film.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I think read Regulators shortly after reading Cell. As far as a violent gorey fast paced horror book goes Cell was just a lot better. I do want to get round to Desperation though. Anything with a Dark Tower link has me intrigued.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

I think read Regulators shortly after reading Cell. As far as a violent gorey fast paced horror book goes Cell was just a lot better. I do want to get round to Desperation though. Anything with a Dark Tower link has me intrigued.

Yeah the Dark Tower link is why I a few of King's books a second time.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I loved Insomnia as one of those pariphial Dark Tower tie ins. I found the whole thing very complete and satisfying. Cell and From a Buick 8 both felt to my like incomplete vinettes that didn't seem to wrap up or have a purpose. Insomnia was a complete (beginning, middle, end) story, to me.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I loved Insomnia as one of those pariphial Dark Tower tie ins. I found the whole thing very complete and satisfying. Cell and From a Buick 8 both felt to my like incomplete vinettes that didn't seem to wrap up or have a purpose. Insomnia was a complete (beginning, middle, end) story, to me.

I was slightly disappointed by From Buick 8. But really enjoyed Cell. To me since the early 90s King has had a major problem with the endings of his novels. Cell has a good ending. Sure it leaves some stuff up in the air but it is better than say Under the Dome's ending.
  • Options
    I LIKED Under the Dome. Barbie is the bitch with all the best toys!
  • Options
    random73 said:

I liked Under the dome except for the ending. The ending felt like King realized he had written enough for a novel and quickly came up with a deus ex machina to get rid of the Dome.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

I liked Under the dome except for the ending. The ending felt like King realized he had written enough for a novel and quickly came up with a deus ex machina to get rid of the Dome.

Totally agree with you about Under the Dome. I liked the story too. But the ending seemed like a rushed cop out to me and just left the rest if the book tainted in my eyes. I think he more then made up for it with 11.22.63 though. That was a really good read in my view.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

Totally agree with you about Under the Dome. I liked the story too. But the ending seemed like a rushed cop out to me and just left the rest if the book tainted in my eyes. I think he more then made up for it with 11.22.63 though. That was a really good read in my view.

I still need to read 11/22/63. I have it but just haven't read it yet. But I got so many unread books.
  • Options
    yeah! 11/22/63 was very good.
  • Options
    I am about halfway through "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Do people know about this book? It is fantastic. I am not one to read much genre fiction and never anything that could be classified as horror but this book is absolutely stellar.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I've just finished "Old Mans War" by John Scalzi. It was okey. I did find the idea of the elderly enlisting to fight intergalactic Wars to be interesting, but the story telling was pedestrian. I'm currently reading "A Fire Upon The Deep", by Vernor Vinge. It's challenging, but interesting.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Do any of you read horror stories/novels to celebrate the season? And if yes - which ones?

I'm currently reading lots of HP Lovecraft and for the first time ever : Night Shift by Stephen King
    ( don't know why I waited all those years to start reading this awesome collection of short stories)
  • Options
    Yeah read a fair bit of Lovecraft. I really like some of his shorter stuff couple of my favourites are Dagon and Nyarlaphotep. Read a lot of Kings stuff too. You should try Full Dark No Stars next if you like Night Shift. Four excellent short stories in this one. Currently half way through Insomnia and its getting pretty spooky. Good stuff.
  • Options

Do any of you read horror stories/novels to celebrate the season? And if yes - which ones?

I'm currently reading lots of HP Lovecraft and for the first time ever : Night Shift by Stephen King
    ( don't know why I waited all those years to start reading this awesome collection of short stories)

luke52 said:

Yeah read a fair bit of Lovecraft. I really like some of his shorter stuff couple of my favourites are Dagon and Nyarlaphotep. Read a lot of Kings stuff too. You should try Full Dark No Stars next if you like Night Shift. Four excellent short stories in this one. Currently half way through Insomnia and its getting pretty spooky. Good stuff.

Yes Full Dark No Stars is one of Kings best collections of novellas. This month I have been reading lots of horror short stories and comics. Might go and re-read Weed Species by Jack Ketchum. It is the scariest and most chilling story I have ever read.

• Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65

I am about halfway through "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Do people know about this book? It is fantastic. I am not one to read much genre fiction and never anything that could be classified as horror but this book is absolutely stellar.

I really enjoyed it. I assumed it was going to deal with the immediate fallout of a vampire apocalypse so when it changed direction (trying to avoid spoilers) it was a nice surprise.
  • Options
    danGP said:

I really enjoyed it. I assumed it was going to deal with the immediate fallout of a vampire apocalypse so when it changed direction (trying to avoid spoilers) it was a nice surprise.
    Ok now I am interested in this The Passage book. Is it a one and done or is it part of a series of novels?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    dubbat138 said:

danGP said:

Ok now I am interested in this The Passage book. Is it a one and done or is it part of a series of novels?

I'm really interested in this too. Sounds pretty cool. I just had a look on amazon, read the review by the author - How I wrote the passage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Passage-Justin-Cronin/dp/product-description/0752883305/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

This will get you to want to read it. Great little story. Book is now on my Christmas list.

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

danGP said:

It is part of a trilogy, two parts are out so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    @luke52 - thanks for posting that link to "how I wrote The Passage". I'm a passionate runner. And when my kids have been little they often rode their bikes alongside. We also created stories....So Cronin had me right there and then. And I do like me some different take on vampires.

Ordered. (and also thanks to @danGP for the pointer)
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

danGP said:

@tommysheroes What is the second book called? I may as well go all and get both.

Christmas list is long enough already!
  • Options
    fitting to the season more about the Scariest reading experiences at the A.V.Club
  • Options
    @luke52 the sequel is called "The Twelve".
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65

dubbat138 said:

danGP said:

I didn't know the second part was out. That's why I love this forum.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Currently on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. It's a quick read, so far and seems to be constructed around a fairly interesting conceit. The author appears to have built the story around what he describes as authentic vintage found photographs with strange subject matter and eccentric composition. Many appear to be classic, pre-Photoshop double exposure type images.

I'm about 1/3 into it at the moment and find myself wondering how the structure of the story would change if the photos were introduced in a different order. We'll see when I wrap it up if the conceit holds up, but so far, I'm both enjoying the story and the additional intellectual exercise.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    hauberk said:

Currently on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. It's a quick read, so far and seems to be constructed around a fairly interesting conceit. The author appears to have built the story around what he describes as authentic vintage found photographs with strange subject matter and eccentric composition. Many appear to be classic, pre-Photoshop double exposure type images.

I'm about 1/3 into it at the moment and find myself wondering how the structure of the story would change if the photos were introduced in a different order. We'll see when I wrap it up if the conceit holds up, but so far, I'm both enjoying the story and the additional intellectual exercise.

I've got a copy of this in my to-read pile. It sounded very interesting. Glad you're enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    I'm about to start the 3rd title in the Star Wars Legacy of the Force series (Tempest) by Troy Denning. I've enjoyed a number of his books in the EU, but Legacy of the Force as a series has yet to grab me.
  • Options
    just read V for Vendetta for the 3rd time, love Alan Moore not a fan of how people have abused his work. Recently came across Leaving Megalopolis and thats an awesome project I can't wait to read. A little known project that looks epic is Angel of Mercy kickstarter.com/projects/389428422/angel-of-mercy-series-book-one