Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2012
    Wild Cards edited by George RR Martin

Rereading this for the first time in years. Now there has been 2 stories I didn't remember at all,and inside the front cover it mentions something about a new and revised version. So not sure if it is just bad memory or there is now some new stories in the first volume.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

My only real complaint is that, as with the Lord of the Isles books, Drake appears to be trying to make each book stand alone, though they are referential to past storylines. The end result is that some things get painfully repetitive, particularly with regard to reiterating the major character beats of Leary, Mundy, and their supporting cast.

I imagine this would be annoying when reading them in rapid succession.

I've been reading them as they come out, and find it helpful, indeed, to recap.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

My only real complaint is that, as with the Lord of the Isles books, Drake appears to be trying to make each book stand alone, though they are referential to past storylines. The end result is that some things get painfully repetitive, particularly with regard to reiterating the major character beats of Leary, Mundy, and their supporting cast.

I imagine this would be annoying when reading them in rapid succession.

I've been reading them as they come out, and find it helpful, indeed, to recap.
    For some things, I agree. However, there are only so many times that I need to be told that Tovera doesn't really consider herself human, that Hogg is a potentially murderous bumpkin that can't fly a hover car for anything, that Leary has a hard time keeping his pants zipped or that Mundy is, maybe not suicidal, but certainly apathetic to her own survival... and has experienced far greater discomfort that translating out of bubble space, during her years of living in squalor since the death of her parents during the quashing of the conspiracy.

It can certainly be helpful, but it's like Tenoctris in the Isles books, reiterating in every book that there are other wizards more powerful, but they do sloppy things like reusing their athame (and as a result getting more variation on their results. She makes up in OCD technique, what others have in raw power.

All in all, it's a minor quibble, but one that does bug me. It's also probably one of the reasons that I'm so fond of the Slammers - cohesive universe, limited continuity and mostly new characters in every story, so very little repetition in character traits (except for Steuben - and I'm OK with having outsiders provide their assessment of him as a part of the narrative).

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Rereading this for the first time in years. Now there has been 2 stories I didn't remember at all,and inside the front cover it mentions something about a new and revised version. So not sure if it is just bad memory or there is now some new stories in the first volume.

If it's the new edition, I believe that there are, in fact, a couple of new stories included.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

If it's the new edition, I believe that there are, in fact, a couple of new stories included.
    I found it a few months back. Published by Tor. Has a copyright of 2010.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

that's the one.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

that's the one.
    I was pretty sure 2 stories I have read now were not in the original printing. But it has been many years since I read the first volume. Had it in a nice hardback years ago,got it at a thrift store with the dustjacket for 50 cents.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

that's the one.
    I was pretty sure 2 stories I have read now were not in the original printing. But it has been many years since I read the first volume. Had it in a nice hardback years ago,got it at a thrift store with the dustjacket for 50 cents.

Two new stories!? Well... rats!

Now I'm going to have to find a copy.

I have all of the original paperback series from the 80's and 90's, plus the first few volumes of the Baen series. I lost track after that, but always meant to go out and search for any further additions. And now there's new stories added to the first volume!? Man...
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

that's the one.

Two new stories!? Well... rats!

Now I'm going to have to find a copy.

I have all of the original paperback series from the 80's and 90's, plus the first few volumes of the Baen series. I lost track after that, but always meant to go out and search for any further additions. And now there's new stories added to the first volume!? Man...
    I now have all of the first 12 again. Plus a few of the newer ones.

• Options
    RE: Wildcards:

I've got a complete collection - mismatched editions, of course - iBooks reprints, SFBC editions, paperbacks. I need to get the new Tor edition (looks like it should have had three new stories in it - Carrie Vaughn, David Levine and Michael Cassutt.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Currently reading the biography Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. It was the Amazon Kindle deal of the day recently. A fascinating look at this very influential man.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

RE: Wildcards:

I've got a complete collection - mismatched editions, of course - iBooks reprints, SFBC editions, paperbacks. I need to get the new Tor edition (looks like it should have had three new stories in it - Carrie Vaughn, David Levine and Michael Cassutt.

I still need about 5 or so books to have them all. But they are mismatched. Got a few hardcovers,then lots of the 80's era paperbacks.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Don't vote, it just encourages the bastards by PJ O'Rourke
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    DAR said:

DAR, I couldn’t agree with you more on Devil in the White City by Eric Larson. I thought it was one of the most well written page turners I have ever read. I read it when it was a hardback, recommended it to several people, and they all liked it. I have his most recent book, In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin, on my Kindle Wish list.
  • Options
    Dman said:

DAR said:

DAR, I couldn’t agree with you more on Devil in the White City by Eric Larson. I thought it was one of the most well written page turners I have ever read. I read it when it was a hardback, recommended it to several people, and they all liked it. I have his most recent book, In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin, on my Kindle Wish list.
    All of Erik Larson's books have been fantastic. Have you read "Isaac's Storm"? Talk about a page turner. And "Thunderstruck" was also very good. I eagerly await whatever he does next.

Bry
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    brydeemer said:

Dman said:

DAR said:

All of Erik Larson's books have been fantastic. Have you read "Isaac's Storm"? Talk about a page turner. And "Thunderstruck" was also very good. I eagerly await whatever he does next.

Bry
    Thanks for the recommendations Bry. I've added Isaac's Storm to my Kindle Wish List for my next read.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Don't vote, it just encourages the bastards by PJ O'Rourke

Isaac's Storm was my first - it's excellent. Devil in the White City is my personal favorite; it works as history and as a thriller. In the Garden of Beasts was also quite good. I have not read Thunderstruck.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'll have to put Isaac's Storm and Thunderstruck on the to do list.
  • Options
    random73 said:

random73 said:

@Chuck_Melville Wow! that is a daunting undertaking!

And loving it! :)
    as you should!
    I read what, at that point, was the entire Elric series over the course of a month back when I was in high school. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I was depressed for two weeks afterward.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:
    Looks like I'll be counting the days... unit the local library gets it
  • Options

dubbat138 said:
    I am gonna end up buying it.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:
    Already pre-ordered on Amazon.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:
    Already pre-ordered on Amazon.
    I pre-ordered my copy about 3 hours ago. I get a feeling when I get it in,I will sit down and not get up till after I have finished the book.

• Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Recently finished Whispers Underground, the third book in Ben Aaronovitch's series about the department of the London Metropolitan police that deals with supernatural crimes. It's great fun but I'd suggest starting with the first book in the series Rivers of London (Midnight Riot in the US) if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    I bought Michael Chabon's new novel 'Telegraph Avenue' yesterday. It's phenomenal. If you liked 'Kavelier and Clay' give it a shot. Chabon is the greatest living American writer as far as I'm concerned. Maybe some authors have written better books, but no one can match Chabon's consistency in my opinion.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I got X-Men: Gifted, from the library over the weekend. Only a few chapters in but it's pretty good. Think I'm going to have to go back in and read the comic again when I'm done to see how it blends the story together.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

I bought Michael Chabon's new novel 'Telegraph Avenue' yesterday. It's phenomenal. If you liked 'Kavelier and Clay' give it a shot. Chabon is the greatest living American writer as far as I'm concerned. Maybe some authors have written better books, but no one can match Chabon's consistency in my opinion.

I pre-ordered that for my Kindle simply because I enjoyed Kavalier & Clay so much. Haven't read it yet, but it's second on my "to read" list.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    recently knocked out two more Codex Aleria books. so i'm starting book 5 Princeps Fury. as is typical with butcher each book pulls the camera back a notch and you get a story with larger and larger scale. i love this stuff!
  • Options
    random73 said:

recently knocked out two more Codex Aleria books. so i'm starting book 5 Princeps Fury. as is typical with butcher each book pulls the camera back a notch and you get a story with larger and larger scale. i love this stuff!

Is Butcher's fantasy novels like your typical fantasy novel? I got burned out on the fantasy genre years ago,which is one reason I have never read any of the Codex series.