Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1496 Talkback - Comic Talk: Guardians of the Galaxy Edition

2»

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

I too would pay money to hear Murd and The Rios talk about Grant Morrison's Multiversity Map.

I emailed this jpg file (1400x1074), which I downloaded from Entertainment Weekly, to Murd yesterday. Haven't heard back from him that it is better than any version he had found.

I also have this file, but would like something a bit bigger. The tiny text hurts my old eyes.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    By the way, Adam's theory of Star-Lord's father was just . . . perfect. I'll basically be disappointed if they don't go in this direction. Moreover, it just goes to show that Murd really should be writing or editing some of this stuff!
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Elsiebub said:

By the way, Adam's theory of Star-Lord's father was just . . . perfect. I'll basically be disappointed if they don't go in this direction. Moreover, it just goes to show that Murd really should be writing or editing some of this stuff!

I agree. Murd came up with a good idea there. It would be a cool way to tie the characters to the villain.

Is it known who Star Lord's father is in the comics?
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    and on the subject of voice actors did you spot the voice of Darth Maul (and Shaun of the Dead's hosemate) Peter Serafinowicz as Denaraian Sall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Serafinowicz
  • Options
    sandman said:

Yes, his father is J'Son of Spartax, the Emperor of the Spartoi Empire. I believe "Star Lord" is actually a formal title in the Empire indicative of being next in the line of succession, akin to being the "Prince of Wales."

• Options

sandman said:

Yes, his father is J'Son of Spartax, the Emperor of the Spartoi Empire. I believe "Star Lord" is actually a formal title in the Empire indicative of being next in the line of succession, akin to being the "Prince of Wales."

Thats pretty cool. Either way, if you use the comic book heritage, or a new one to have Star Lord linked to Thanos, you can do some good stuff with it in the movies.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    rebis said:

rebis said:

I too would pay money to hear Murd and The Rios talk about Grant Morrison's Multiversity Map.

I emailed this jpg file (1400x1074), which I downloaded from Entertainment Weekly, to Murd yesterday. Haven't heard back from him that it is better than any version he had found.

I also have this file, but would like something a bit bigger. The tiny text hurts my old eyes.
    I just increased the text in the middle image:

And I googled the first bit of text and found this other forum's page, and here's what someone transcribed:

Thanks to Clairaudient Freedom Soldier and a lot of eyestrain, here's the first full transcript on the internet that I know of

SOURCE WALL: Here is the limit even to Thought. Beyond lies only Monitor-mind, The Source and the Unknowable.

MONITOR SPHERE: Dwelling place of the mighty Monitor race - once countless in number, the 52 Monitors that remained after the CRISIS event were each tasked with the preservation and study of a separate universe.

LIMBO: Home of the Lost and Forgotten of the Orrery. Limbo is the furthest edge of the manifest DC Universe. This is where matter and memory break down.

SPHERE OF THE GODS: From the heights of the Skyland Pantheons to the prison depths of the Underworld, this is the great realm of Archetypal Powers and Intelligences inhabited by Gods and New Gods, Demons, Angels and the Endless.

DREAM: On the borderlands of the magical realm of Morpheus the Dream-King, incorporating the Halls of the Endless, the Courts of Faerie and the Twelve Houses of Gemworld. Home to Oberon, Titania, Amethyst, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

HEAVEN: The Silver City. The Word of the Voice. Home of the Spectre, Zauriel, and the Guardian Angel Hosts of the Pax Dei - The Bull Host, The Eagle Host, The Lion Host and The Host of Adam.

NEW GENESIS: Sunlit lordly New Genesis is the proud home of the New Gods and the young Forever People. The floating city of Supertown is the dwelling place of Highfather, Orion, Lightray, Avia, Big Barda, Scott Free and others.

SKYLAND: Home of the Shining Ones, the Old Gods of Thunder and Lightning, Love and War and Death. Here is Asgard, Olympus and the Throne of Zeus. The Pantheons of Celts, Mayans, the Divine Bureaucracies of China, and the Gods of Oceania, Mesopotamia and Egypt, the Loa and the Elohim are all gathered here, each with a peak of its own.

NIGHTMARE: The creepy-crawly Shadow Side of Morpheus' domain. Here is the Goblin Market where everything is real. The Land of Nightshades. Home to the Boogeyman and the Corinthian, Haunt of Witches, Yeth Hounds and Bad Dreams.

HELL: Known to some as Sheol, or Jigoku, the burning iron Place of Torment is home to Neron, Belial, Trigon, Azazel, Abnegazar, Rath, Ghast and the Demon Etrigan - high on a list of a legion of fiends. Here are the Djinns and the Fallen Angels, and the Haters of Humanity, waiting...

APOKOLIPS: The fiery planetasum, ruled with the iron fist of the ultimate tyrant, Darkseid of the New Gods, and his cruel acolytes - Desaad the Torture God, Granny Goodness, Glorious Godfrey, Kalibak and many, many others.

UNDERWORLD: Here is Hades, Annwn, the realm of Pluto and the Throne of Ereshkigal, the Land of No Return. Known also as the Phantom Zone, this gloomy prison of shades and formless shadows plays host to the criminals of the planet Krypton - General Zod, Ursa the She-Devil, Xadu (presumably that was a typo, supposed to be Xa-Du) the Phantom King and many others.

WONDERWORLD: Orbiting Creation itself at unimaginable velocities, Wonderworld is the "Worldquarters" of the long-lost Theocracy, a team of stupendous primal superheroes.

SPEED FORCE WALL: The Speed Force Wall is otherwise known to the denizens of the Orrery as the Speed of Light. It is only a limit to matter.

THE FREQUENCIES OF QWYZZ: Radio universe, home to KRAKKL the Defender.

ORRERY OF WORLDS: 52 'brane universes vibrating in the same space, all at different frequencies, within the all-enclosing Bulk, otherwise known as Bleed-space. Four Bleed Siphons have been drilled in from Monitor Sphere to the Orrery, to permit the harvest of the miracle Ultramenstruum fluid.

SHIFT SHIP CLASSIFICATION: Powered by caged baby universes, Shift Ships are Monitor nano-tech probes designed to facilitate the investigation, maintenance and control of the Multiversal Orrery of Worlds - microscopic in scale within the Monitor Sphere, they appear immense inside the Orrery.

(Note: scale used on the side for Destroyers, Carriers and Tankers is miles, scale for Hunters and Explorers is feet. Explorer noted as not being shown to scale)

DESTROYERS: The most feared of all Monitor vessels - these massive hell-machines are capable of sterilizing entire universes with self-evolving Reality-Blitzing missiles, Armageddon Activators and Contagion Troops. Used by Monitors to disinfect fatally contaminated continua.

CARRIER: Carriers are large, fast, multipurpose vehicles, used by Monitors to convey communications, materials and equipment between the Worlds of the Orrery.

TANKER: Huge Tankers are sent out to collect precious Bleed and other materials from the Orrery and return it to the Monitor Sphere. A string of "seed gravitational singularities" anchors solids, liquids and gasses behind them, resembling small planets or suns.

HUNTER: Heavily armed, rapid stealth killers, used to protect Tankers from mega-fauna indigenous to Orrery BleedSpace and to contain and destroy local outbreaks of contamination.

EXPLORER: Swift scientific probes designed to recover data. What they lack in offensive capabilities, explorers make up for with state-of-the-art empathic navigation, self-aware chameleon camouflage and faster-than-thought engines.

GRANT MORRISON: Text and concept.
    RIAN HUGES: Design, illustration and additional promotional details.
    With grateful acknowledgement of the work of thr many artists, writers, colorists, letterers, editors and others who have contributed to the rich tapestry of the DC Comics Multiverse.

I just emailed this to Murd.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    abuddah said:

and what did Matt think of the wikipedia article?

PS I can't imagine a movie that would be worse served by reading a plot synopsis. The whole thing is visuals and character

Movie didn't interest me enough to check. Saw it only because the wife wanted to see; if its branded "Marvel Studios", my wife is game.

Its interesting, one of the commercials before the previews was for The GiVen. The dude starring in it stated "be sure to read the book before seeing the movie." I guess no one told him reading the story before watching the movie is a punch line.

Conversely, it sounds like watch the movie THEN reading the novel spoils the book. We must live in a world where it's either 1 or the other; no enhanced entertainment by consuming both!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Conversely, it sounds like watch the movie THEN reading the novel spoils the book. We must live in a world where it's either 1 or the other; no enhanced entertainment by consuming both!

M

I wouldn't say that. The books will go more in depth into the stories. You'll get more information, subplots, more character scenes, etc. Reading the book will give you the enhanced entertainment that you mentioned.

However, like you alluded to, major events, twists, reveals, surprises and what not are going to be in both the movie and the book. So obviously, whichever you go with first will spoil those big moments in the other. But that's nothing new. Its been like that for as long as there have been adaptations.

• Options
    sandman said:

Matt said:

M

I wouldn't say that. The books will go more in depth into the stories. You'll get more information, subplots, more character scenes, etc. Reading the book will give you the enhanced entertainment that you mentioned.

However, like you alluded to, major events, twists, reveals, surprises and what not are going to be in both the movie and the book. So obviously, whichever you go with first will spoil those big moments in the other. But that's nothing new. Its been like that for as long as there have been adaptations.

Yup.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited August 2014
    Brilliant theory @Adam_Murdough!

And speaking of Adam Warlock, his cocoon DID show up in the Collector's museum. Check out these easter eggs!
  • Options
    Except for a class at Duke, in a class of 30 people, if the lowest grade is a 90%, it still means everyone did well. Having said that...

I thought GotG was one of the least entertaining of the Marvel Studios movies, not on par with Incredible Hulk, but hovering around Iron Man 2 & Thor. If it wasn't for Meg wanting to go, I wouldn't have gone. It was exactly what I expected it to be. Its not to say I didn't enjoy it, just was reminded why I never dug Marvel Cosmic.

Also, why do these epic space fight scenes have to look like its Episode I? Give me something different.

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

HELL: Known to some as Sheol, or Jigoku, the burning iron Place of Torment is home to Neron, Belial, Trigon, Azazel, Abnegazar, Rath, Ghast and the Demon Etrigan - high on a list of a legion of fiends. Here are the Djinns and the Fallen Angels, and the Haters of Humanity, waiting...

And Lord Baytor!
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

And Lord Baytor!
    Some call him Master.

;)
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    rebis said:

mwhitt80 said:

And Lord Baytor!
    Some call him Master.

;)
    Thought about going there and backed out... gave me visions of a bizarre hybrid of Heironymous Bosch and Jackson Pollock... but only under a blacklight.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

rebis said:

mwhitt80 said:

And Lord Baytor!
    Some call him Master.

;)
    Thought about going there and backed out... gave me visions of a bizarre hybrid of Heironymous Bosch and Jackson Pollock... but only under a blacklight.
    And, on black velvet.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Finally saw the movie so I could finish this episode.
    Great recap. I really appreciate your guy's enthusiasm and opinions!
  • Options
    And here's a post at the DC website of an interactive version of the map.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just listened to the episode and it was quite informative. I enjoyed hearing Pants and Shane's questions. I didn't a few of the things Murd gave info on even though I've read much of the Marvel cosmic stuff over the years. So thanks Pants, Murd, and Shane!
    I saw the movie in Toronto one night after attending Fan Expo. Not only did I love the movie, but I also loved that people in the audience were laughing out loud and even so enthusiastic about it after the movie. The group of people seated in front of me apparently didn't know ANYTHING about the characters and they clearly enjoyed it, even discussing the content of the mid-credits and after credits scenes. Now that I'm back in Japan, I can't wait to see it again (Sept. 13th). Usually the Japanese audiences are pretty quiet during a movie, but show their enthusiasm for it afterwards. Some notable exceptions were the Austin Power's movies, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and Ted. In those movies, you could audibly hear people laughing or perhaps subduing their laughter and then loudly talking about the movies afterward. Too be honest, I think there will be too many in-jokes (Kevin Bacon, 80's retro-stuff, for example) for them to completely get into the movie. However, I also think they'll get into Rocket, Drax, and Groot. Well, we'll see should be interesting to see with them.
    Murd's Speculation: Well, that is just amazing! Starfox as Peter Quill's dad would be awesome!
    On this thread...
    Multiverse Map: Ahhh, I really don't care, but it's somewhat interesting. Still, I would like to hear Murd and Peter discuss the comics.
    See the Movie First vs. Read the Book first: I'm a big proponent of read the book first, especially if you hear that the movie at least does some justice to the book. I can think of a lot of movies that I read the book first and it was interesting how the director/screenwriter/etc's vision captured (or didn't capture) the book's themes. I think Godfather, Clockwork Orange, Hunger Games, and some of the Harry Potter movies are some good examples of pretty much capturing the flavor of the books. Sometimes a movie fails to live up to the book, the most recent one I remember is Ender's Game. I read the book in anticipation of the movie, but was let down. It seemed like a kind of visual summary of the book, but didn't really capture the book's atmosphere/flavor.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I saw Guardians today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just got finished spending about an hour talking with my best friend about this. I can't wait to listen to this episode.