Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    I'd like to know more about what had to happen for GWR to verify it.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Wow haven't seen Bob posting on these forums in what seems like years. I miss him.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

I'd like to know more about what had to happen for GWR to verify it.

Bob posts on the 11 O'Clock Comics forums a lot, he details the process in a thread there, I'll see if I can find the thread.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    You win Bob. You win.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Bob started up a website y'all can visit called www.comicspectrum.com. This jerk you all know writes regular articles and reviews for it. :)

It was a pretty long process getting Guinness to verify it. Someone in Australia claimed to have the largest comic collection, but under scrutiny it was revealed he had duplicate issues. Bob's collection has no duplicates, but that had to be verified by independent auditors before Guinness would grant him the record.

He's stated he wouldn't be surprised if someone out there could break it, but they'll need to go through the same auditing process he went through.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    This is off topic a little bit, but why did he leave the comic book page podcast. I've not listened in a long time and flipped over there yesterday. I noticed that Bob's name hadn't been on a podcast in a while.

edit: it feels like forever ago that CGS hosted the Mayo Reports. I guess it's only been about a decade so it has been forever.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Here is the thread where he talks about it:

Lots of comics
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

This is off topic a little bit, but why did he leave the comic book page podcast. I've not listened in a long time and flipped over there yesterday. I noticed that Bob's name hadn't been on a podcast in a while.

edit: it feels like forever ago that CGS hosted the Mayo Reports. I guess it's only been about a decade so it has been forever.

Without going too deeply into it, Bob wanted to create Comic Spectrum, and it would divide his time between that and what he was doing with John, so he left.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Without going too deeply into it, Bob wanted to create Comic Spectrum, and it would divide his time between that and what he was doing with John, so he left.

I figured it was something like that.

However it's a little anticlimatic. I was hoping for Bob and John trying to knife each other in Tijuana after a drunken SDCC dispute over an issue number. You know how crazy stuff gets when you hit a losing streak at a Mexican cockfighting ring.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

However it's a little anticlimatic. I was hoping for Bob and John trying to knife each other in Tijuana after a drunken SDCC dispute over an issue number. You know how crazy stuff gets when you hit a losing streak at a Mexican cockfighting ring.
    How the flaming blue hootie did you figure out what Joe and I have planned for our 200th episode?

Back to the drawing board...

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I was chatting with him last night.

We were trying to estimate what portion of the largest possible collection he has.

Approximately 1/3 of the individual issues printed.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

How the flaming blue hootie did you figure out what Joe and I have planned for our 200th episode?

Back to the drawing board...

I'm game

• Options
    WetRats said:

I was chatting with him last night.

We were trying to estimate what portion of the largest possible collection he has.

Approximately 1/3 of the individual issues printed.

Geez. My collection is pretty big, especially since I was a bottom feeder through a lot of the 90's and would buy in bulk from comic shops that were closing out ($30 a long box means you buy things you think you might read some day), but I doubt it's anywhere CLOSE to his.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    But 500 of those comics are copies of Spawn #1.