Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Squirrel-Girl Gets Ongoing Title | January 2015

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nick said:

Marvel is cancelling Fantastic Four and giving Squirrel-Girl an ongoing title. What strange times we are living in! I think Marvel may be trying to tap into the same audience that's buying up Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer and She-Hulk. Clearly going for whimsy and far removed from the mid-90's angst.

(BTW, I love the Art Adams variant cover at the link!)

Meanwhile the Original Captain Marvel is in stories about people getting their heads punched off and Billy Batson is an arrogant criminal.

Gee, Cory, why is it you like Marvel more than DC again?
    I know a lot of New 52 is darker, but not all of it is. Didn't Marvel just have a story where someone ripped the Watcher's eyes out? I read about 10 New 52 titles and I think 4 of them don't even show blood.
    I tapped out on the New 52, I know the new team on Batgirl is pulling back on the darkness, but what other books aren't filled with angry people gritting their teeth at night? Not being snarky, honestly asking, since the DC stuff was so grim and depressing I completely gave up.

It was like reading a bunch of books for Clubber Lang.

"What's your prediction for the fight, Clubber?"
    "Pain."
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2014

Nick said:

Marvel is cancelling Fantastic Four and giving Squirrel-Girl an ongoing title. What strange times we are living in! I think Marvel may be trying to tap into the same audience that's buying up Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer and She-Hulk. Clearly going for whimsy and far removed from the mid-90's angst.

Meanwhile the Original Captain Marvel is in stories about people getting their heads punched off and Billy Batson is an arrogant criminal.

I know a lot of New 52 is darker, but not all of it is. Didn't Marvel just have a story where someone ripped the Watcher's eyes out? I read about 10 New 52 titles and I think 4 of them don't even show blood.
    I tapped out on the New 52, I know the new team on Batgirl is pulling back on the darkness, but what other books aren't filled with angry people gritting their teeth at night? Not being snarky, honestly asking, since the DC stuff was so grim and depressing I completely gave up.

"Pain."
    Digression

I would read the shit out of a Clubber Lang book. Even from DC.

/Digression
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    David_D said:

Digression

/Digression

I'm about to ask a serious question: do you want to read a story post Rocky loss or do you want to read a prequel Clubber Lang story? It's a movie question I've been pondering for 15 years.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

David_D said:

Digression

/Digression

I'm about to ask a serious question: do you want to read a story post Rocky loss or do you want to read a prequel Clubber Lang story? It's a movie question I've been pondering for 15 years.
    I want it 15 years post Rocky loss.

And he is haunted by the ghost of Mickey. Who will be his sort of grizzled Jiminy Cricket.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Nick said:

"Pain."
    Again, Batwoman. After all of the kerfluffle about issue 25 and the marriage that didn't happen, they continued to do some great things exploring the relationship. Yes, she's a bat character so has a certain level of grim, but she's far more melancholy than angry.

Shockingly enough, I've really been digging what they've done with Red Lanterns since Guy Gardner joined the group. He's been struggling with the rage and trying to turn the reds into something else. Just based on the whole napalm-blood-vomiting-rage-machine thing, I'm guessing that this one is a non-starter, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the character growth that I've seen in it.

Aquaman has had some grim and grisly foes to face, but I don't think that he's been particularly over the top gritty, angry or violent. His Others, less so.

Worlds' Finest has been downright fun spending time on both sides of the secret identities of the characters.

Even in those examples, one could argue
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    World's Finest is the beacon of hope at DC. All the rest of the titles at DC no longer interest me. My interest actually started to wane with Jurgens run on Superman two decades ago and I've rarely looked back.

Now, DC is like an ex-girlfriend to me that I no longer have any interest in. It's like a restaurant that no longer serves the food I liked and the servers generally have a poor attitude. When nu52 came along, I stopped getting a satisfactory return on my monthly investment. My money is spent with Marvel, Image, Dynamite, Boom!, and the occasional Valiant and back-issues.

Like the proverbial ex-girlfriend, I don't miss her at all though I may succumb to get an occasional fond memory. I wish her well and whoever she's spending time with, but I've moved on.