Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1508 Talkback - Previews

Ready or not, here comes Previews! We go through the October catalog for items shipping to stores in December. (1:58:23)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Darkhorse has a few interesting offerings

Usagi Yojimbo Saga vol 2 - reprinting Usagi vol 3 issues 7-30, the Usagi Sagas are reprinting Sakai's Darkhorse run

ElfQuest vol 2 - which you mentioned
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2014
    I'll probably get the Garbage Pail Kids comic. I was one of those kids who loved them and collected them all.

The Little Nemo comic was a lot of fun. I read it to my son and he loved it. Though he was really upset to find out it doesn't come out monthly.

"Time Runs Out" leads into a new Secret Wars by Hickman.

I think Uncanny is better than All New but you should be reading both to get the whole story.
  • Options
    @Adam_Murdough Curious if you noticed and/or have any interest in Aqua Leung Vol. 1. I ordered it because I'm a sucker for anything Atlantis-related and couldn't help but think of it's superficial connection to Jethro Tull.
  • Options
    I'll vouch for "Low" through 3 issues by the way. The 1st issue I thought was very good, but the series took off in a bit of an unexpected (yet fascinating) direction in issue #2. I'm hooked. Truly beautiful artwork too. A definite "buy."
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2014
    Finished this one up finally. I think Dani is onto something with her "Captain America bottle opener" idea. Two thoughts on the matter:

1) Even better would be if it was like one of those musical ones (you know, that play like the Notre Dame fight song or something) but when you go to open a bottle, it says "Hail Hydra!" (*)
    2) If this isn't the perfect product for "Drunk Cap" to pitch on TV, then I don't know what is!

(* - Alternate Hydra audio could be "Drink 1, and 2 more will take it's place")
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I second the Murd’s recommendation of the Crogan books. Great stories, great cartooning, and now in color.

As for Corto Maltese, outside of Tintin and some of Moebius’ work, this series is among the most influential comic book works to come out of Europe. Some of it has been reprinted here over the years, but this looks to be a top-notch production. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    I didn't realize this was a new Crogan book.

I've read Crogan's March & Crogan's Loyalty and they are wonderful. I'm adding it to my order now.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I've read Crogan's March & Crogan's Loyalty and they are wonderful. I'm adding it to my order now.

No, it’s not a new story. Crogan’s Vengeance was the first book in the series. But don't let that stop you.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

No, it’s not a new story. Crogan’s Vengeance was the first book in the series. But don't let that stop you.
    Gottcha. Well as they say "it's new to me".
  • Options
    I got back into reading comics a little over two years ago, and since I've been reading, Dark Horse has not really offered anything interesting to me. I considered reading their Star Wars offerings, but it always left me feeling overwhelmed. Changing gears a little, one New 52 Dc book that I've really enjoyed since the launch is Swamp Thing. Great story telling and with its own tight-knit continuity. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    Hi guys - regarding Toon Tumblers - some are dishwasher safe, some are not. According to the TT website: "All ‘Toon Tumblers® use state of the art materials featuring deep, vivid colors. There are, however, varying degrees of durability between items. All of our Looney Tunes™, Hanna-Barbera™, and Archie™ ‘Toon Tumblers® are dishwasher-safe. Our Marvel Comics and DC Comics ‘Toon Tumblers® can not be made using the same process and we recommend that these products be hand-washed only." Just an FYI.
  • Options

@Adam_Murdough Curious if you noticed and/or have any interest in Aqua Leung Vol. 1. I ordered it because I'm a sucker for anything Atlantis-related and couldn't help but think of it's superficial connection to Jethro Tull.

I gave it a pass the first time it was offered a few years ago, and I'll do the same this time around. Its Tullian title (which may not even be a deliberate Tull reference--the term "aqualung" predates the classic 1971 album, remember) always attracts my attention, but it takes more than a clever/evocative title to get me to shell out for an $18 OGN.
  • Options

I gave it a pass the first time it was offered a few years ago, and I'll do the same this time around. Its Tullian title (which may not even be a deliberate Tull reference--the term "aqualung" predates the classic 1971 album, remember) always attracts my attention, but it takes more than a clever/evocative title to get me to shell out for an $18 OGN.
    I've read Aqua Leung, and you won't be missing all that much, Adam. The Paul Maybury artwork is quite nice, but I found the story to be a bit wanting. It's not bad—in fact, there are some nice moments—but overall I was disappointed with it.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Darn it! Once again you folks are mentioning stuff I wouldn't have normally ordered but now I have to...
    ...but if you hadn't, I guess I'd be missing out on some good reads. Thanks!
  • Options
    alienal said:

Darn it! Once again you folks are mentioning stuff I wouldn't have normally ordered but now I have to...
    ...but if you hadn't, I guess I'd be missing out on some good reads. Thanks!

CGS ... proudly helping to separate Geeks from their hard-earned cash since 2005!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited October 2014
    smoore78 said:

one New 52 Dc book that I've really enjoyed since the launch is Swamp Thing. Great story telling and with its own tight-knit continuity. I highly recommend it.

The most recent issue... with the technology avatar... just... WOW.

Can't stress enough how good Soule's run has been.

After a while with some of this kind of stuff I used to think "Okay, this is just taking what Alan Moore did with Swamp Thing and applying it in a different way", but what Soule's doing now is honestly the first time I think that a ST writer has stepped out from Moore's shadow WHILE sort of taking Moore's ingenuity into account. Snyder (amongst many others) paid tribute to Moore, but Soule is actually building on the legacy and taking it in directions that don't seem like Moore tributes.

I can't really explain it. If you tell someone who hasn't read it "Soule has invented a Fungus kingdom, and a technology kingdom...", then that person could well just say "Oh you mean like how Scott Snyder invented The Rot kingdom... like how Grant Morrison invented The Red kingdom... based on how Alan Moore invented The Green in the first place?" And, yeah, that's what's happening, but with Soule it just feels different this time, like there's more substance to it and has a different feel or something.

I think it's mostly the creation of an almost entirely new supporting cast that has set Soule's run apart in my mind. Like he's paying his dues and setting up a different world. It all feels very cohesive.
  • Options
    Swamp Thing is definitely on the top of my pile to read first each month.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    smoore78 said:

Swamp Thing is definitely on the top of my pile to read first each month.

Ditto. Best thing DC is doing at the moment for me.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

I can't really explain it. If you tell someone who hasn't read it "Soule has invented a Fungus kingdom, and a technology kingdom...", then that person could well just say "Oh you mean like how Scott Snyder invented The Rot kingdom... like how Grant Morrison invented The Red kingdom... based on how Alan Moore invented The Green in the first place?" And, yeah, that's what's happening, but with Soule it just feels different this time, like there's more substance to it and has a different feel or something.

Wasn’t there already a fungus kingdom? Known as the Gray (as opposed to the Green)? Back when Doug Wheeler was writing the series, several years ago?
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338

Wasn’t there already a fungus kingdom? Known as the Gray (as opposed to the Green)? Back when Doug Wheeler was writing the series, several years ago?

I've not read that run, so this is the first I've heard of it. To be honest the "technology kingdom" has impressed me a lot more, and I'm pretty sure that's all Soule's doing. But if someone has read both runs and can say what's new/different about the fungus stuff this time around, I'd be interested in knowing.
  • Options
    I swear every time I listen to the Previews episode, I should just have my DCBS order up because I always add stuff that I was on the fence about or that I didn't even notice. Always love listening to the episode though.

I am excited to check out Secret Six from DC, but I am hoping it's not a case of "you can't go home again".

One title in this Previews that caught my eye that I'm going to try is Squarriors #1 of 4. It's from Devil's Due Publishing. It's a post human world and there are tribes of Squirrels (and I assume other animals) warring against each other. The art looked beautiful and I am a sucker for backyard animals having a society ever since I saw the Secret of NIMH as a kid (so of course I love Mouseguard and Mice Templar). I'm curious enough to check out a 4 issue mini and the art sold me that I should at least like that.

• Options
    I read the Little Nemo comic and was a bit underwhelmed. I was only familiar with the character from the NES video game that I played as a kid and loved. So I may have not been the best target for this comic.

I loved the art and thought it looked great, but I am very much a story guy when it comes to continuing to get a comic, and the story was just okay for me. I could see a kid really enjoying it (and I have really loved kid comics in the past), but it just didn't do much for me other than being pretty to look at.
  • Options

I read the Little Nemo comic and was a bit underwhelmed. I was only familiar with the character from the NES video game that I played as a kid and loved. So I may have not been the best target for this comic.

That was a really good game; I have more than a few hours logged in Slumberland. It has been forever since I played it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

That was a really good game; I have more than a few hours logged in Slumberland. It has been forever since I played it.
    It definitely ranks very high on my list of favorite NES games that I played as a kid. I do remember that I beat it and went back to play it again.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I second the Murd’s recommendation of the Crogan books. Great stories, great cartooning, and now in color.

As for Corto Maltese, outside of Tintin and some of Moebius’ work, this series is among the most influential comic book works to come out of Europe. Some of it has been reprinted here over the years, but this looks to be a top-notch production. Highly recommended.

I went out on a limb and ordered Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn. I have absolutely no experience with Hugo Pratt but it sounds like the work is highly regarded.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I went out on a limb and ordered Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn. I have absolutely no experience with Hugo Pratt but it sounds like the work is highly regarded.

Well I hope you like it. Pratt is an amazing artist and storyteller and deserves more attention here in the States.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Well I hope you like it. Pratt is an amazing artist and storyteller and deserves more attention here in the States.