Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Superman is not "boring" to me.

I've always liked him as the king of it all.

I like him BECAUSE of his powers/invulnerability (as if that's even true to begin with as he's been whooped many-a-time). I like him for his Honorable, Valiant, Good-Guy personality. I basically like him for all the reasons the naysayers DON'T like him.

It's not like DC is just going to 'kill-off' any of their characters anyway so the naysayers might as well wake up and smell the coffee.

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I've always liked him as the king of it all.

I like him BECAUSE of his powers/invulnerability (as if that's even true to begin with as he's been whooped many-a-time). I like him for his Honorable, Valiant, Good-Guy personality. I basically like him for all the reasons the naysayers DON'T like him.

It's not like DC is just going to 'kill-off' any of their characters anyway so the naysayers might as well wake up and smell the coffee.

You've lost me; I'm not a Kent fan & I find him quite bland. Doesn't mean I want him "killed off" by DC. I'm not familiar with any "naysayers" wanting him to go away.

It doesn't effect me at all if they kill him or if I just don't buy his titles.

M
  • Options
    Well I DON'T find him bland.

The arguments AGAINST liking Superman are quite silly to me.

He exhibits powers...that makes him "boring"? Then don't get into this reading material.

When OTHER characters exhibit the same stuff, they have no problem then though.

Doesn't make any sense.
  • Options

Well I DON'T find him bland.

The arguments AGAINST liking Superman are quite silly to me.

He exhibits powers...that makes him "boring"? Then don't get into this reading material.

When OTHER characters exhibit the same stuff, they have no problem then though.

Doesn't make any sense.

I gathered you don't find him bland.

I haven't heard any arguments against liking him; especially none about him exhibiting his powers.

And are you talking about people who don't like Kent exhibiting his powers shouldn't get into this reading material?

Powers don't make Kent. His personality & how he chooses to use them make Kent.

M
  • Options
    Huh? Did I miss some big "Superman sucks" propaganda movement recently or something?
  • Options

Huh? Did I miss some big "Superman sucks" propaganda movement recently or something?

I was wondering the same.

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,620
    Wow I think this was put on the wrong forums. There are a number of pro-Superman people here (myself included).

Superman is pretty great; he is the heroic ideal of DC. Sure he can be viewed as "white bread", but the man stands for everything we would want in a hero.

He is much better than most of us would be. I would bet 90% of us would have been tempted to use super breathe to push silverage Lois and Jimmy off a building.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,883
    edited December 2014
    To be fair to @TheHotWindBlowing‌ (and welcome aboard!), the idea that Superman is boring is something I've heard thrown around for a long time. That, as heroes got into the modern age (and Marvel age) of being more psychological-- more human scale and relatable, with conflict and 'feet of clay' that are part of their personality-- that by contrast Superman could seem too powerful. Too perfect and aspirational. With weaknesses only to otherworldly things, like Kryptonite and magic. In a word: unrelatable. And that has made him boring or harder to get into. And that, by contrast, Batman is immediately more interesting because he is human. That most of the Marvel characters are more exciting because they are vulnerable, and have to work that much harder to overcome what they are up against. I have heard that suggested many times before, and I partly agree. Superman doesn't usually interest me. I find him more interesting as a force in someone else's story, or an antagonist, like in The Dark Knight Returns.

But I don't think he is always like that. There have also been Superman stories I've loved, like All Star Superman. Like all characters, it is what you do with him. But I do think that Superman as a character is HARDER to create for than some other characters. I think there are more barriers between his point of view and the readers, and there is also the problem of challenging him with a conflict that is worthy of his huge power set. And there is only so many internal conflicts he can have, or how funny he could be, without ceasing to be Superman.

So I don't think he is definitively boring. But I think those telling stories with him as the lead have a challenge that Batman or Spider-Man creators don't have.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I've always liked Superman. I like the kind of character he represents and the ideals he tries to bring to our world. To me, he's a character while very powered, can be quite vulnerable when it comes to his heart. He's the ultimate immigrant who is looking to make his adopted home a better place. I feel like so many other characters he's been written well and not so well and like many other characters, you have people who like Superman and others who don't. You're going to find the same thing with other characters like Batman or Spider-Man.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

Noob.

Calling new users "noob"s is like self-parody of being an unwelcoming forum. Let's be better than that. Thanks.
    Sorry @David_D, but I stand by my remark. Once more data has come in, I may be inclined to rescind or adjust my calculations. In the meantime,

welcome aboard @HotAirBlowing!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

David_D said:

Noob.

Calling new users "noob"s is like self-parody of being an unwelcoming forum. Let's be better than that. Thanks.
    Sorry @David_D, but I stand by my remark. Once more data has come in, I may be inclined to rescind or adjust my calculations. In the meantime,

So, basically, name call based on your first assumptions, and then maybe change your mind or give someone a chance later?

Yes. That is definitely welcoming and moves the conversation forward. Stellar forum manners for a new user to see on behalf of someone with 1000+ posts.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Noob.

So, basically, assign the labels based on your first assumptions, and then maybe change your mind or give someone a chance later?

Yes. That is definitely welcoming. Stellar forum manners for a new user to see on behalf of someone with 1000+ posts.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks! I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

noob (noun, informal)
    "A person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity, such as one that recently joined a forum and thinks they know everything."

Hey, I myself was once a noob, so I think I can spot one when I see one.

I stand by my remark

David_D said:

Stellar forum manners for a new user to see on behalf of someone with 1000+ posts.

Not at all like gracelessly criticizing other users for making comments that you disagree with when a PM would suffice I suppose.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Wow I think this was put on the wrong forums. There are a number of pro-Superman people here (myself included).

Superman is pretty great; he is the heroic ideal of DC. Sure he can be viewed as "white bread", but the man stands for everything we (Superman fans) would want in a hero.

He is much better than most of us would be. I would bet 90% of us would have been tempted to use super breathe to push silverage Lois and Jimmy off a building.

Sorry had to add that. I can swallow most of what you posted, even if I don't agree, but that "we" clarification was something I had to add.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

To be fair to @TheHotWindBlowing‌ (and welcome aboard!), the idea that Superman is boring is something I've heard thrown around for a long time. That, as heroes got into the modern age (and Marvel age) of being more psychological-- more human scale and relatable, with conflict and 'feet of clay' that are part of their personality-- that by contrast Superman could seem too powerful. Too perfect and aspirational. With weaknesses only to otherworldly things, like Kryptonite and magic. In a word: unrelatable. And that has made him boring or harder to get into. And that, by contrast, Batman is immediately more interesting because he is human. That most of the Marvel characters are more exciting because they are vulnerable, and have to work that much harder to overcome what they are up against. I have heard that suggested many times before, and I partly agree. Superman doesn't usually interest me. I find him more interesting as a force in someone else's story, or an antagonist, like in The Dark Knight Returns.

But I don't think he is always like that. There have also been Superman stories I've loved, like All Star Superman. Like all characters, it is what you do with him. But I do think that Superman as a character is HARDER to create for than some other characters. I think there are more barriers between his point of view and the readers, and there is also the problem of challenging him with a conflict that is worthy of his huge power set. And there is only so many internal conflicts he can have, or how funny he could be, without ceasing to be Superman.

So I don't think he is definitively boring. But I think those telling stories with him as the lead have a challenge that Batman or Spider-Man creators don't have.

You've hit the nail correctly here. I've found Kent bland because he wasn't relatable. That's something I enjoy in the characters I follow most. I enjoyed Man of Steel (at least the first 2/3rds) because he had an aspect that was relatable.

In the end, I've always thought if Kent was really THAT powerful & THAT good, why would there be a need for any other superhero or crimefighter? Plus, I think it's laughable to expect Kent to stop the street crimes with his power level. Save them for more Earthshattering issues.

M
  • Options
    It lacks grace because instead of calling me out for using the decidedly non-provocative term "noob", a less "unwelcoming" approach might have been sending me a private message to persuade me of my error. I conclude that now you're merely being overly authoritative over a minor quip. I've noticed a trend in your disagreements with my positions for some time now, so I doubt you'd ever be inclined to set me straight "off the record".

Besides, when did "noob" become terminology that is considered profane, derogatory or dehumanizing? If @HotAirBlowing was hurt or offended, I sincerely apologize, but let me help you out.

"Noob" means "beginner."

Friends?

And no, Superman is NOT boring by any means.
  • Options

It lacks grace because instead of calling me out for using the decidedly non-provocative term "noob", a less "unwelcoming" approach might have been sending me a private message to persuade me of my error. I conclude that now you're merely being overly authoritative over a minor quip. I've noticed a trend in your disagreements with my positions for some time now, so I doubt you'd ever be inclined to set me straight "off the record".

Besides, when did "noob" become terminology that is considered profane, derogatory or dehumanizing? If @HotAirBlowing was hurt or offended, I sincerely apologize, but let me help you out.

"Noob" means "beginner."

Friends?

And no, Superman is NOT boring by any means.

Why did I publicly respond? For the benefit of the new member watching himself be insulted by a longtime member of the forum. I think it is useful for him to know, on his first or second day on the forums, that when he starts a conversation and states an opinion-- even a strong opinion-- he can be disagreed with without name calling. As that is the expectation here. Having seen how he is treated, I wanted him to also see an example of what he can expect if he posts here, as I think that is particularly important to someone new that is trying this forum out.

And, real talk. Noob is not pejorative? Rubbish. If you believe the connotation is not negative (or, when directed at yourself, self-effacing) then I would suggest you look into that and ask around about it before you use it at work. Look at your own definition. Who are you to decide that he is new to talking about comics online, or new to comics? It is not pejorative to suggest someone doesn't know what they are talking about in a discussion THEY started?

You can decide that this is personal if you want. But to me this is not about the person, this is about the behavior. If you disagree with my moderation, you are welcome to talk about it with the other moderators, or with @Pants‌ or @Adam_Murdough‌ as admins of this forum.

In the meantime, I will stand by what I said, and by the expectations I have been asked to represent.
  • Options
    HotAirGuy is new here. Would "rookie" or "new guy" have slipped under your moderator radar?

I sent you a PM to discuss, but you stayed here.
    You're the one getting personal.
    I disagree with your call "ref," and if anyone wants to discuss it further, they are welcome to PM me also.

Noob is an awful, awful insult. No one would ever consider themselves a noob. I fail to recall you coming to my defense when I was called 'newbie', or even 'racist troll', but I'm done with this thread. If you have more for me, you can PM me back. Don't want to hijack this thread any further, lest the new forum poster get any ideas.

• Options

HotAirGuy is new here. Would "rookie" or "new guy" have slipped under your moderator radar?

I sent you a PM to discuss, but you stayed here.
    You're the one getting personal.
    I disagree with your call "ref," and if anyone wants to discuss it further, they are welcome to PM me also.

Noob is an awful, awful insult. No one would ever consider themselves a noob. I fail to recall you coming to my defense when I was called 'newbie', or even 'racist troll', but I'm done with this thread. If you have more for me, you can PM me back. Don't want to hijack this thread any further, lest the new forum poster get any ideas.

Right. Because we all know there is no difference between words you call yourself and words you call other people. So if someone calls themselves something self-effacing, it clearly is okay to apply that same thing to strangers.
    I would also not suggest trying that at work.

Look-- I asked for a PM. You posted, asking a question, and also sent a PM. I did not stay here. I responded here to the question you asked here. And now I have responded to your PM. Which is where I asked the discussion to continue in the first place. For everyone else's sake, including the OP, this is done in this thread.
  • Options
    TheHotWindBlowingTheHotWindBlowing Posts: 58
    edited December 2014
    on Youtube...

Superman gets dissed all the time on every video involving him.

So many people think Superman should get beat by everyone from Goku of Dragon Ball Z, to Batman, to their Grandmother.

Thousands of people who don't even know each other have huddled around this idea.

• Options
    Youtube is a cruel place, but you'll find few adherents to that line of logic in this forum, unless you're referring to his Clark Kent persona, then @Matt will likely step up to the plate.

I do think the last Superman movie had some boring elements, but not the comic character himself.

• Options

on Youtube...

Superman gets dissed all the time on every video involving him.

So many people think Superman should get beat by everyone from Goku of Dragon Ball Z, to Batman, to their Grandmother.

Thousands of people who don't even know each other have huddled around this idea.

Well, you have to understand these are 2 separate forums. This forum will use clips from YouTube, but we don't really look there for discussion material.

I'll be the first person here to say Batman beats Kent. I know Kent can do this & can do that and Batman has no superpowers. The key word in that sentence is "can", not "does". Batman continues toget the win for me because he exploits Kent's weaknesses, including holding back.

I disagree that anyone can beat Kent. That's poppycock. Up against most heroes, I'd still put my money on Kent. Having said that, I refuse to believe Kent is all powerful & unbeatable.

M
  • Options

Youtube is a cruel place, but you'll find few adherents to that line of logic in this forum, unless you're referring to his Clark Kent persona, then @Matt will likely step up to the plate.

I do think the last Superman movie had some boring elements, but not the comic character himself.

My assessment of Kent isn't to influence others here. It's how I interpret the character.

M
  • Options
    I would never suggest otherwise
  • Options
    Superman is a hard character for people to write, and if you want proof, look at the last 40 years or so of stories. VERY few GREAT Superman stories, while just about all of the other iconic super-hero have great stories that come to mind immediately. I think it is because most of the people who come to write Superman think of him in a mundane sense.

John Byrne made Superman a Marvel character. He explained his powers, gave him personal problems, turned his life into a soap opera and mundaned the hell out of him. This led to a lot of OK Superman stories, but if you look at the output of DC when it came to Superman, those stories, by and large, would have worked with any generic super-hero.

Superman needs a point of view, a reason, something that drives him. He also needs a hook for the reader to give a damn. In the earliest years, Superman was a wish fulfillment character. The Clark/Lois issue was a “this girl I love would love me if she REALLY knew me.” Superman could do amazing things, and the reader would be caught up in, “How great would it be to fly, to be strong, etc…” Later, as Mort Weisinger took the reins, Superman became a fantasy sit-com with action. Silly situations with a growing mythos, but everything was about putting Superman into strange puzzle stories. “How did Superman become the master of the Pan Flute and charm gorillas?”

There were other aspects: the loneliness of being the last Kryptonian, what it’s like to be an Icon, The Man Of Tomorrow, The First Super-Hero and so on, many of which were touched on with Alan Moore’s “Whatever Happened To The Man Of Steel?”

Superman works when there’s a theme behind the stories. I LOVED All Star Superman because it was Grant Morrison writing The Man Of Tomorrow at his most Iconic. Mark Waid plays with the mythology and makes Superman the man who becomes a God, Morrison attempted to get back to (and failed) Superman as wish fulfillment in his New 52 run.

Now? Superman is Just Another Super Hero and while Geoff Johns is putting out good DC stories, he doesn’t know what to do with Superman. The first person who does? That story will be HUGE, because there is incredible untapped potential there.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Just thinking out loud (so to speak).
    It seems to me that for some, the question of Superman being "boring" or not depends to some extent on a persons age.
    Not only does the character embody whimsical attributes like "wish fulfillment". It also represents more mature concepts like restraint, a measured response, honor, and a very "gentlemanly" code of conduct. These are traits that take time to appreciate.
  • Options
    @TheHotWindBlowing Do you have any particular favorite Superman stories to recommend? I myself am largely unfamiliar with the character IN comics as most of my experience with Supes comes from television and movies.

Quite some time ago a friend of mine had recommended All-Star Superman and I thoroughly enjoyed that. I just really didn't know where to go from there.
  • Options

@TheHotWindBlowing Do you have any particular favorite Superman stories to recommend? I myself am largely unfamiliar with the character IN comics as most of my experience with Supes comes from television and movies.

Quite some time ago a friend of mine had recommended All-Star Superman and I thoroughly enjoyed that. I just really didn't know where to go from there.

Superman Birthright

Death of Superman circa 1993 and the issues that followed soon after with the OTHER 'Supermen' like Superboy, Eradicator, Steel, Cyborg, and Superman's return.

Incredible Hulk vs. Superman 2001

• Options
    rebis said:

Just thinking out loud (so to speak).
    It seems to me that for some, the question of Superman being "boring" or not depends to some extent on a persons age.
    Not only does the character embody whimsical attributes like "wish fulfillment". It also represents more mature concepts like restraint, a measured response, honor, and a very "gentlemanly" code of conduct. These are traits that take time to appreciate.

I somewhat disagree. Your last point sort of reads like some DC fanboys' posts stating that the DCCU are for mature, intellectual people whereas Marvel (apparently only Studios) panders to children.

I thought those traits (I'd describe as being a Boy Scout) lead Kent to be naive back when I was in my teenage years & still do 20 years later.

M