Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your Top 5 Christmas movies of all-time?

Mine:

5) Fred Claus
4) Scrooged
3) Christmas Vacation
2) Elf
1) It's A Wonderful Life

Honorable Mention: The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Santa Clause, Home Alone, A Christmas Story, The Polar Express, Disney's A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street (both the 1947 & 1994 versions)

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    In no specific order...

Gremlins
    Die Hard
    Long Kiss Good Night
    Just Friends
    Trading Places
  • Options
    5) The Santa Clause
    4) Home Alone
    3) Jingle All The Way
    2) A Christmas Story
    1) It's a Wonderful Life

Honorable Mention: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Rudolphs Shiny New Year, Scrooged, Santa Claus is Comin to Town, The Year Without a Santa Claus, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated), Elf, A Charlie Brown Christmas
  • Options
    My must watch movies are A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. The kids' must watch is Elf.
  • Options
    Greg said:

My must watch movies are A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. The kids' must watch is Elf.

Yet they didn't make your list?
  • Options
    I actually watch Animal House every Christmas since one year where I was stuck at work and it was on TV. It's really the only Christmas movie tradition I have since they don't play "It's A Wonderful Life" on 40 channels on Christmas Eve any more like they did in the 80's.
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way, in case any of you have been laboring under the impression that the movie "A Christmas Story 2" is something you'd probably enjoy, well, that's where you're wrong.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Well I'll take action movies off my official Christmas list.

1) A Christmas Story
    2) Scrooged
    3) The Thin Man
    4) Santa Clause is Coming to Town
    5) Elf

Honorable Mentions: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Nightmare Before Christmas (I don't care what you guys think it's great), and Christmas Vacation

My Action movie Christmas list:
    1) Die Hard
    2) Lethal Weapon 1
    3) LA Confidential
    4) Long Kiss Goodnight
    5) Ronin

Honorable Mention: Rambo First Blood, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Bourne Identity and Red
  • Options

Greg said:

Yet they didn't make your list?
    Yes and no, I couldn't come up with five true Christmas movies, so i went outside the box with it.
  • Options
    Having recently watched the Muppet Christmas Carol I was inspired...

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2014
    Expanding things a bit, as I only went with theatrical releases, here's my Top 5 *TV* Christmas shows/specials:

6) Seinfeld - "The Strike" (aka the Festivus episode)
    5) Twas the Night Before Christmas (Rankin/Bass - Mouse family scrambles to fix Christmas clock so Santa will come to their town)
    4) Andy Griffith Show - Andy holds Christmas at the jail when the town Scrooge insists a local moonshiner be locked up on Christmas Eve
    3) Santa Claus is Coming to Town
    2) A Charlie Brown Christmas
    1) Happy Days - The Cunninghams find out Fonzie lied about having plans for Christmas and then conspire to have him stay with them

(Okay, make it my "Top 6")
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    In no particular order...

The Muppets Christmas Carol
    Scrooged
    Home Alone
    Elf
    Die Hard
    Love Actually
    Nightmare Before Christmas

I know there's 7, but its my list!
  • Options
    I've had "Love Actually" on my DVR for 2 years now and can never seem to get around to watching it. I've heard from several people that it's great though. Need to make a point to get that done this Christmas.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

I've had "Love Actually" on my DVR for 2 years now and can never seem to get around to watching it. I've heard from several people that it's great though. Need to make a point to get that done this Christmas.

Really good Christmas movie. Very funny and sweet.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    05.Christmas Story
    04.Silent Night Deadly Night 2
    03.Gremlins
    02.Die Hard
    01.Silent Night Deadly Night
  • Options
    1 - A Christmas Carol (the British version, with Alistair Sim; still the best, imo.)
    2 - Miracle On 52nd Street
    3 - A Wonderful Life
    4 - A Christmas Story
    5 - Toys
  • Options

That (bleep)ing GPS never works right!

• Options
    I actually have a specific order for this!

#5.) Gremlins & #4.) Die Hard - Annually, toward the end of the Christmas season, as I'm starting to grow weary of the standard Christmas fare, when I'm wrapping gifts for folks, these are the two movies that I always turn on.

#3.) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - I've seen it dozens of times, and it still makes me laugh.

#2.) The Muppet Christmas Carol - I have read A Christmas Carol every year since I was in the 4th grade for Christmas. This is shockingly one of the closest (and certainly one of the best) adaptations of that original work.

#1.) The Bishop's Wife - Actually, it may be my favorite film, regardless of season, but especially at Christmas.

• Options
    I completly forgot Love Actually. That is my wife's favorite Christmas movie, and I really like it alot.

Remember the words of wisdom from our Uncle Billy:
    "Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs, become a pop star, and they give you them for free!"
  • Options

D'oh!!!!
    Obviously, I meant "Miracle On 34th Street"!
  • Options
    grannygeeknessgrannygeekness Posts: 79
    edited December 2014
    5. Gremlins
    4. 3 Godfathers
    3. Miracle on 34th St
    2. A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott as Scrooge)
    1. The Bishop's Wife

Honorable mentions: Family Man, Muppet Christmas Carol, The Family Stone, Pocketful of Miracles (technically not a Christmas movie, but my first husband loved to watch it at Christmas, and it is that kind of plot, soooo...) Holiday Inn, Meet Me in St. Louis, The Santa Clause (just the first one).

TV Episodes and Specials, in no particular order:

Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, A Charlie Brown Christmas, the Christmas episode of My So-Called Life, Little Drummer Boy, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Amahl and the Night Visitors
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    mwhitt80 said:

I completly forgot Love Actually. That is my wife's favorite Christmas movie, and I really like it alot.

Remember the words of wisdom from our Uncle Billy:
    "Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs, become a pop star, and they give you them for free!"

After you re-watch Love Actually for umpteenth million time, pop in About Time for New Years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7A810duHvw
  • Options
    Saw "Love Actually" the other night and didn't particularly care for it. I thought several of the storylines were pretty depressing: the Alan Rickman / Natasha Richardson one, along with the Lauren Linney one. Both were real downers. The Lauren Linney story, actually, should have just been axed from the entire movie imo.

The thing with the President trying to grope the PM's aide was over the top. Seemed like blatant pandering to the British audience.

And Rick Grimes showing up at his best friend's house with the boombox and signs? Ugh.

It wasn't all bad. There were a lot of parts I liked. I enjoyed Hugh Grant's story, as well as the one with Liam Neeson and the kid who plays Jojen Reed on "Game of Thrones." They were sweet and funny I thought. The Colin Firth / Portugese housekeeper was good too, especially when he shows up with her whole family at the restaurant she works at.
  • Options
    Here are mine:

5) Home Improvement Christmas Episode Marathon
    4) Elf
    3) Muppet Christmas Carol
    2) White Christmas
    1) Christmas Vacation

Honorable Mention: Home Alone 1 & 2 and Grinch (animated)

Yes, I am a child of the 80's/90's, and had the throw in the Home Improvement episodes with the Christmas lighting competition between Tim and Doc Johnson (the 80 year old Navy Butt Doctor).

Happy Holidays to all!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I can't believe I forgot Four Brothers. A great action revenge flick set in snowy Detroit. I'm cutting the dvd on tonite.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
    The Star Wars Holiday Special.
    Miracle on 34th Street (Natalie Wood version)
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Torchsong said:

Muppet Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story

I love Planes, Trains but was'nt that Thanksgiving holiday they are heading home for? I never got an expressly Christmas vibe from it but it's been a while. Great movie none the less.
  • Options

D'oh!!!!
    Obviously, I meant "Miracle On 34th Street"!
    Yeah, but now I want a story about Santa Claus put on trial with ALL Billy Joel music.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    shroud68 said:

Torchsong said:

Muppet Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story

I love Planes, Trains but was'nt that Thanksgiving holiday they are heading home for? I never got an expressly Christmas vibe from it but it's been a while. Great movie none the less.
    I lump Thanksgiving in as the Christmas warm-up. Christmas officially begins with Santa at the tail-end of the Macy's parade.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

shroud68 said:

Torchsong said:

Muppet Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story

I lump Thanksgiving in as the Christmas warm-up. Christmas officially begins with Santa at the tail-end of the Macy's parade.
    Christmas does not begin until I see the Santa on the shaver.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Torchsong said:

shroud68 said:

Torchsong said:

Muppet Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story

Christmas does not begin until I see the Santa on the shaver.

Then Christmas has begun Corey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y888mx7hMZ0

And now Santa has a NEW ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx1e_5fWYaQ