Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel's Star Wars Comics

2»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Star Wars comics are now on Marvel Unlimited!

Fantastic.

I have been holding off on getting ALL of their SW books (i.e. Princess Leia, Kanan) in the hopes I could use MU to catch up later. Nice to see that plan will work.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Star Wars comics are now on Marvel Unlimited!

Fantastic.

I have been holding off on getting ALL of their SW books (i.e. Princess Leia, Kanan) in the hopes I could use MU to catch up later. Nice to see that plan will work.
    I'm just enjoying reading all the dark horse books I never checked out before. Spent half the morning reading "rogue squadron"
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Over 500 Star Wars comics added to Marvel Unlimited. Looks like all of the first Marvel series, most (if not all) of Dark Horse's and I have pretty much decided that I know what I'm reading for the next couple of months.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Over 500 Star Wars comics added to Marvel Unlimited. Looks like all of the first Marvel series, most (if not all) of Dark Horse's and I have pretty much decided that I know what I'm reading for the next couple of months.

Geez if I knew marvel was going to be quick about "reprinting" the darkhorse material I would not have loaded up one rogue squadron through darkhorse digital. But I'm ok with spending money with darkhorse.

I'm excited about digging into the starwars on the marvel app and not having to goto my trades anymore
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Geez if I knew marvel was going to be quick about "reprinting" the darkhorse material I would not have loaded up one rogue squadron through darkhorse digital. But I'm ok with spending money with darkhorse.

I'm excited about digging into the starwars on the marvel app and not having to goto my trades anymore
    Just wait until Disney finally buys ROM.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I hope Disney gets ROM and Fu Manchu so they can finally reprint ROM and Master of Kung Fu. Some of us on the forums were born post 1979, and would like to read them without having to dig through back issues.

It won't happen, but a boy can dream.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

SQUEEEEE
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

David_D said:

I hope Disney gets ROM and Fu Manchu so they can finally reprint ROM and Master of Kung Fu. Some of us on the forums were born post 1979, and would like to read them without having to dig through back issues.

Fu Manchu should enter public domain in 2029. Then it's on.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

mwhitt80 said:

David_D said:

The chances of me seeing a collection of Master of Kungfu are pretty high. However some of you old farts might need some prayers and vitamins. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Now I'll get off your lawn.

I wouldn't want my unwrinkled face and full head of hair to distract you :D
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

David_D said:

The chances of me seeing a collection of Master of Kungfu are pretty high. However some of you old farts might need some prayers and vitamins. ;)
    Why the hell do you think I'm at the gym 4 - 5 times a week?

Wait, I OWN THE WHOLE RUN, INCLUDING THE BLACK AND WHITE MAGS!

• Options
    Hahaha I love ya SR. You made my night with real laughs.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    I think this thread is for the Marvel Star Wars comics - I'm feeling a bit lukework on these, especially with the art. Not all the art is unpleasing, but even when the art is "good", it feels so disconnected to the story. Either the story is weak, and the art is good but that doesn't save it. Or both the story and the art is weak. Not horrible, just... lacking. I may go for another few issues on the main titles but I might not look back.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It occurs to me that this current line of Star Wars comics is only filling the gap between Episodes IV and Episode V (Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back for purists like me). The Force Awakens introduces new characters and a new era a full 3 episodes away and will be released wide in 3 weeks. The Journey to Star Wars the Force Awakens comics didn't do a lot to bridge the gap between Episode VI & Episode VII, but I still haven't seen VII either, so I could be mistaken.

I wonder if there's been any concern at Marvel that these current series are going to need to wrap up so that a new series that focuses on the new characters will need to take center stage?

Any thoughts the nature of the current series may change in light of Episode VII's release?
  • Options
    Funny. I saw the thread title and immediately my mind went here:

Been reading these, piecemeal, for a few months now. Still enjoyable (but I may be biased).

-chris
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So how do those comics reconcile how they portrayed Jabba?

I mean, once Jedi came out, and since the comics made Jabba look totally different.
  • Options

So how do those comics reconcile how they portrayed Jabba?

I mean, once Jedi came out, and since the comics made Jabba look totally different.

I don't think they ever bothered to reconcile it...

The Marvel artists based this Jabba on a character (later named Mosep Binneed) only briefly seen in the Mos Eisley cantina scene of Star Wars. The 1977 novelization of Lucas's Star Wars script described Jabba as a "great mobile tub of muscle and suet topped by a shaggy scarred skull", but gives no further detail as to the character's physical appearance or species.

• Options
    Mosep Binneed . . .

• Options
    Speaking of the comics, even Marvel knew that Han Shot First...

but that's a discussion for another thread...
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited December 2015
    I read a few random issues earlier this year (Darth Vader #3 and Star Wars #1), but this past weekend I cleaned a few LCS's out of most their recent back issue stock of both series. For $1 each, I couldn't pass them up.

They're fantastic. I'm really enjoying these. I've read all the Star Wars series through #12 and am halfway through the Vader issues now.

Both Cassaday and Larroca are the best I've seen them in years. I wouldn't say that its the best art of their careers, but it's not far off. Both of them still have flashes of their recent awkwardnesses (imo, anyway), here and there, but overall... holy cow are these books a joy to look at. The real standout, though, is Immonen. He's as good as ever, but for a few years now I think he's been Marvel's best artist. The character modeling and layouts are the best in the business, and his usual inker and colorist do their usual immaculate work.

At first I was a little iffy on Aaron's repeated callbacks/tweakings of famous lines of dialogue, but he toned it down after the first issue and, really, having that stuff there in the first issue was just fun. This is also the best thing I've read by Gillen in quite a while. As great a villain as Vader is, I still was hesitant about a series devoted to him, especially one written by a writer who has been more miss than hit for me. But I'm so happy to be proven wrong. The intrigues between Vader and the Emperor are fantastic. I like Star Wars more than Vader, but it's close, and I still have six more issues of Vader to go.

I've heard super-dedicated SW fans on various podcasts say things like "These Marvel Comics are absolutely the best they could possibly be given the confines of what they're working in... but I still think they don't feel right. We don't need to see"--for example, they'll say--"Luke fighting and besting Boba Fett so early."

I can't speak as a super-huge SW fan, because I'm only a moderate fan. But I couldn't really be happier with these comics or like them any more than I do. They are as good as they could possibly be, and that's good enough for me. I could care less about concerns over knowing that the lead characters won't really die... or... knowing that it's all just going to lead into the Empire storyline, which we already know. I don't care. It's just a fun adventure right now for what it is, and the writers have been given enough leeway to introduce new important-seeming characters and to stage "big" events. What more could you want? It's all being handled by top-tier creators working near the peak of their abilities.

Do I think these books are the best in the industry? No, but they honestly aren't that far off, and the fact that they're a licensed property being pigeonholed into a tight corner of continuity from 35 years ago (our time)... that isn't even a concern. Stuff like that doesn't matter to me when the actual creativity being turned in is of such a very high quality.

Maybe the nitpicks some people have are due to the two series being so highly praised? Like, sometimes it can be annoying when you think something is just "very good" but you keep hearing from everyone else that it's "excellent/totally perfect". I guess maybe if I cared more about the Star Wars franchise than I actually do, then I could demand perfection and be super-sensitive to any retroactive continuity going on. But I'm not. I just flat-out enjoy this. I don't think these are more than four-star comics, but... FOUR-STAR STAR WARS COMICS!!! GOOD STUFF!!
  • Options
    Anyone who's been afan of the newest line of Marvel Star Wars comics may enjoy this latest offering from Kirron Gillen, scribe for the popular Darth Vader series. With Marvel's Darth Vader title coming to an end with issue 25, Marvel announced a new series to take its place, at the time titled Star Wars: Classified. Well, it looks like that title was just a placeholder and the actual title was revealed today… and it's a tiny SPOILER for Darth Vader #25 which hit the shelves today…

The new ongoing title will be: Doctor Aphra. Aphra is a character introduced in issue #3 of Darth Vader's series. The space archaeologist became a fan favorite with her wit and attitude spicing up the series. So… uh: yeah, she survives the series. Just a minor spoiler. It's the first Marvel Star Wars ongoing starring a Star Wars character originally created in the comics.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited October 2016
    The Darth Vader series has been nothing but excellent, and I'll totally be picking up Dr. Aphra because she was a huge part of why it worked so well. That and those two homicidal droids on the cover, who I'm assuming will be showing up in that series as well.

And both issues 1 and 2 are now on my DCBS order...
  • Options
    On this looks interesting and I like Kieron Gillen a lot
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Torchsong said:

those two homicidal droids

One of my favorite things about the Vader comic.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    They stole every panel they were in. Surprised they don't have their own book, but they need Aphra to torment, I suppose.
  • Options
    The recent news about Conan returning to Marvel got me thinking about Star Wars at Marvel, now that they have been publishing that again for about 3 years now, I believe.

Take this rundown with the caveat that I have switched all my Marvel reading to Marvel Unlimited, so I am about 6 months or so behind (with the exception of Captain Phasma, that a friend of mine bought and shared codes with me, as I wanted to read it before TLJ came out).

Marvel Unlimited has allowed me to read all the Star Wars product that they are doing, and I tend to read them right as they get release to the app, as I am a big Star Wars fan, and lately have found myself more interested in keeping up with how that universe is built out even more than I am in following the MU or DCU.

So, with that 6 month time delay in mind, here's what I have thought of Star Wars at Marvel (the modern era) so far, in order of what I think has been the best/ the most worth checking out on MU--

Darth Vader/Doctor Aphra- To me the best books of the line so far. I think Kieron Gillen has been an excellent match with SW at Marvel, and I am intrigued to read his upcoming issues of the main Star Wars book.

Part of what has worked for me in this has been, well, it's Vader. And I'm a sucker for a good Vader story, and I think Gillen (especially with Larroca) gave us a lot of those in his 25 Darth Vader issues (and I think there was an annual or two). I loved some of the canon moments, like the moment he realizes that Rebel pilot that he is hunting, the destroyer of the Death Star, is actually his son. That is one of those realization moments, huge in the saga, that is offstage in the films, and I love the way they did it. And then there are some great one-offs, like an issue that basically feels like 'What if Darth Vader fought his way through an Aliens movie'.

And Doctor Aphra, Triple-Zero, and BeeTee are great. They are really fun new characters, and I think having all these months of comics that are supposed to be in the gaps between the movies benefit from having memorable original characters, and I think Gillen has made the best of those so far. And while I will admit I don't enjoy the solo Aphra book as much as I did when she was supporting in Vader, it is still fun, and the best of what I am currently reading.

Star Wars started off strong. Of course having the first arc be Aaron and Cassaday made for an A-list and splashy beginning. And the art has remained good, and there have been strong stories (one of my favorites was the Obi-Wan on Tatooine story), but as if the most recent 6-8 ammonths, it has lost steam for me, and as much as I like Aaron in general, I was glad to see he was leaving the book and Gillen was coming on. I thought the Yoda solo story felt like a really strong one issue story turned into a very weak multiple issue one. And the Screaming Citadel crossover was weak across all the books, but especially in the SW issues. The most recent issue I read was a Luke and Leia on their own story that felt like it just wasn't a fit into the canon. It was too much time just the two of them, shipwrecked together, that would bond them too strongly for where they are in the saga at that point. I didn't believe it. But I am looking forward to when the Gillen issues hit the MU

Darth Vader Vol 2 by Soule and Camuncoli is off to a good start. I have only read the first two issues, and it is not as strong as the Gillen/Larocca so far, but I am looking forward to more.

Poe Dameron by Soule and Noto has been good but not great. I like having a book in that time period, but I feel like being tied to a time period that is still being built out and revealed in the current movies also has limited this book. Poe is a fun character to spend more time with, and I love the design of Resistance and First Order stuff, and Noto makes that look great. But I feel like the premise made me think this was going to tell more of the story of Poe's journey to find Luke, and what leads him to the scene when we first meet him in TFA, and so far I haven't gotten much of that. Mostly it has been some scrappy things he and his squadron got up to before the real or important stuff they did later. And there is this recurring First Order baddie that is supposed to be his foil who is very forgettable. I will keep reading it through the MU, but I would not have bought it outside of that.

That's enough for one post! More another time.

Anyone else out there keeping up with Star Wars at Marvel?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    The main series is still good imo. Not as good as the first chunk. But good enough I'm still buying it, if that's any indication.
    The first Vader series was a real surprise treat. So much better than I ever would've expected. I'm still surprised I even bothered since it's not something I would've typically gone for... but so glad I did. Oddly though I haven't bothered with the second series but I haven't heard it praises so I don't feel I've missed out.
    I tried the kanan series because it was in the quarter bin and it started off great but worsened as it went on. ended just ok.
    Didn't bother with any others like lando, leis or chewbacca but the mini series that took place just after rotj I think? It featured Poe Dameron's if I remember right. It was good.
    The han solo mini was merely ok too.