Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: The Return of the X-Files

According to Deadline Hollowood, Fox Confirms ‘X-Files’ Reboot Talks, David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson To Return:

http://deadline.com/2015/01/x-files-reboot-talks-fox-1201352465/

Comments

• Options
    In other words, Fox is out of ideas and is looking to see if they can bring back shows that they ran into the ground over a decade ago.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Maybe they need to quit cancelling shows ahead of their time ... but still, I'm on board for this.
  • Options
    The Revival Is Out There.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    "I want to care"
  • Options
    Steeven said:

Maybe they need to quit cancelling shows ahead of their time ... but still, I'm on board for this.

Looking at the ratings they are getting, there isn't a show they've dropped in the last couple of years that they should have kept. I think a lot of the shows they HAVE kept are too low to keep...like The Mindy Project, and The New Girl. Their schedule is in a lot of pain. Even Bones has dropped a LOT.

What they need to do is bring over the people who program FX. Their shows get big ratings (and in some cases, much bigger audiences than Fox shows) and generate a lot of interest in what the network shows.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215

Steeven said:

Looking at the ratings they are getting, there isn't a show they've dropped in the last couple of years that they should have kept. I think a lot of the shows they HAVE kept are too low to keep...like The Mindy Project, and The New Girl. Their schedule is in a lot of pain. Even Bones has dropped a LOT.

What they need to do is bring over the people who program FX. Their shows get big ratings (and in some cases, much bigger audiences than Fox shows) and generate a lot of interest in what the network shows.
    Good point.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    There are only 3 shows I watch on Fox: Bob's Burgers, The Simpsons, and Brooklyn 99.

I'll watch New Girl and Raising Hope on Netflix.
  • Options
    Steeven said:

Steeven said:

Good point.

This season represents the last development season for Kevin Reilly, who was ousted over the summer. It was a lot of the shows he greenlit that turned Fox into the ratings dumpster fire it is today. Going back to the well to revive hit shows as event series is actually a pretty sound idea in getting lost viewer to see what else your network has to offer. As for some of the low rated comedies most are near prime syndication episode counts which creates a whole new stream of revenue, so it usually makes sense to renew a middling show during its 3rd and 4th seasons.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited January 2015
    X-Files was a product of the Network television industry that's been broken and bleeding for a very long time by new technology, new business models, new programming outlets, new viewer habits...... I'm not surprised that Fox is bringing this back to life. My opinion is that the content of Kolchak...er... I mean X-Files has been played out in the 15 years since it's cancellation. By nowX-Files been done better, but mostly worse , by countless imitators and since the Freak of the Week back-pinned by an over-arching theme is pretty much status quo in genre television, we might as well get Mulder and Scully back to show them how it's done.