Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying: Any good?

I've ordered this from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Heroic-Roleplay-Basic-Game/dp/1936685167/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334688290&sr=8-1)

Wondered if anyone else had tried it out and what you though? Worth buying the other books to go with it?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Never heard of it (until now), but it sounds very familiar to the classic TSR version from the 80's. Hours & hours of fun!
    Long out of print now, but everything you need is right here:
    http://classicmarvelforever.com/cms/basic-game-and-modules.html
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    So, do you step into the role of a particular Marvel character or do you make a new character who interacts with the Marvel Universe?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited April 2012
    So, do you step into the role of a particular Marvel character or do you make a new character who interacts with the Marvel Universe?
    In the old TSR version you can do both! Great Lakes Avengers anyone?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I love that old TSR Marvel game. I could never find the Ral Partha minis that went with it, which something I'm always on the lookout for.
  • Options
    Oh. I vaguely remember that role playing game. Interesting. Makes me wish I had someone to play this with.
  • Options
    I think these have been offered in the gaming section of Previews for a while along with the likes of the Supernatural RPG and Battlestar Galatica RPG
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @jaydee74, This is one of my biggest disappointments of the Internet and technology! There are so many gamers without people nearby to play with and in all of this time no one has come up with a great solution to bringing people together to play regardless of distance. I actually was working on a project to do just this, and then Wizards of The Coast/Hasbro teased a great D&D PC program to do just this (and it was way more advanced than mine, so I gave up on it, then they pulled it and never released it. Ventrillo/Skype could work but I really wish there was a great system to get people together to play actual games.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    @Zhurrie: Agreed. Wizbro needs to completely rethink their approach to support software. Either commit to make an awesome product or license it out already.

Meanwhile, there's a niche for a killer iPad/Android app if it could be done generically.
  • Options
    @WetRats, I used to work in the gaming field... worse is that I saw and got to demo the D&D/Hasbro/WoTC program and it was absolutely perfect! Here I found some old pics, this was from around '08: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/02/25/exclusive-gallery-du.html

Sadly they killed this off with no real reason at all. I know there is a massive market for it, I wish I had the time now to get back at it with more modern tools that would make it easier to knock it out.
  • Options
    Agree with @Zhurrie and @WetRats, I really want to try this stuff and can't get anyone to play locally. An online system would be great. You get to be a lot more social that you probably would playing WoW or the like.

Wonder if WotC dumped it because they assumed that WoW and other MMORPGs are doing the 'same' thing.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I think these have been offered in the gaming section of Previews for a while along with the likes of the Supernatural RPG and Battlestar Galatica RPG
    I've had on pre-order from amazon for a couple months now. My LCS had it in 2 weeks ago so no idea what took amazon so long. There's a few extra books like Civil War as companion books but I haven't decided if I'll enjoy it enough to make the purchase.

I've got the group (can't get more of a commitment than once a month but it works) I just need the book (and for the game to not stink)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    @Zhurrie, you and me both. I used to play all kinds of role-playing games in college with my friends. Whether it was D&D or Star Wars or something else, it was always fun to do stuff like that. I see board games at Barnes and Noble all the time that I would love to play and I got nobody. I try some MMOs on my computer and some are okay but I have a mac and not many MMOs are mac compatible. I would love to be able to play the Star Trek MMO but nope. It's a shame really.
  • Options
    @jaydee74 - I have the same problem with not only rpg's and boradgames, but miniature wargames and some card games too. I was part of a pretty solid group of friends, between all of us we had nearly every rpg covered from the mid '80's to the early '00's. We've all moved on to go elsewhere since then to start a family or career.
  • Options
    @Greg, same here. My group used to play competitive tournaments in Magic: The Gathering and Warhammer as well as D&D and other tabletop/pen&paper RPGs, but we are all over the country now and have families and stuff so that's right out. Occasionally I force my wife to play something but she is not much of a strategist, nor does she really care :)

I will see what I can come up with for a current engine or framework and maybe take this up as a pet project, but with a new baby at home that is not as easy as it sounds these days.
  • Options
    I remember when Heroclix first came out and I would buy all the miniatures and then realized I had nobody to play with. I would sometimes go to this comic book store that had games every now and again but that was far and few between.
  • Options
    I still get one or two packs of Heroclix when a new set comes out. Every once in a great while my son and I will clear out a space and play using just the quick start rules.
  • Options
    I still have a regular Sunday afternoon D&D game and am DMing D&D Encounters at a local game store.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    @Greg, same here. My group used to play competitive tournaments in Magic: The Gathering and Warhammer as well as D&D and other tabletop/pen&paper RPGs, but we are all over the country now and have families and stuff so that's right out. Occasionally I force my wife to play something but she is not much of a strategist, nor does she really care :)

I will see what I can come up with for a current engine or framework and maybe take this up as a pet project, but with a new baby at home that is not as easy as it sounds these days.
    For years I had a group of close to 20 friends that would play Magic every weekend at the LCS. Then we would goto all the tournements in Houston and Austin. But over the course of 3 years lots of them moved away ,got married,or just quit playing.

• Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    Here's something that's supposed to support online tabletop stuff: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

I've never tried it, but heard a year or so ago that it's supposed to be okay.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Years ago my gaming group played teh hell outta the TSR Marvel game. For a special April Fools Day gaming session we were suppose to create the most absurd heroes/heroines we could come up with . I created Spuer Schlong. His powers was he could grow his penis to any size or length,and it was invunrible. Turns out this was way over powered. But months later our GM brought him into our normal game as a villian.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I still have a regular Sunday afternoon D&D game and am DMing D&D Encounters at a local game store.
    Hmmm. When did you say are you moving to Switzerland? Was it next month or next week even? I'm ready. Got the Player's Handbook and my dice handy. Pizza?

8->
  • Options
    Hmmm. When did you say are you moving to Switzerland? Was it next month or next week even? I'm ready. Got the Player's Handbook and my dice handy. Pizza?

8->
    Find me a job there, and I'll run the Monty Hauliest campaign ever for you!

BTW: When I was in Austria, they put corn on all their pizzas. Is that done in Switzerland, too?
  • Options
    Here's something that's supposed to support online tabletop stuff: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

I've never tried it, but heard a year or so ago that it's supposed to be okay.
    That looks pretty cool, I will check it out and report back... would anyone here be up for something casual?

I actually was brainstorming last night and had thought of utilizing a shared meeting/whiteboard type application as a base framework and then create some cool maps and features within it. (sort of like a gotomeeting or collaborative whiteboard app because with the whiteboard apps you can save the state and join back in again later) Everyone could see the same screen and control the mouse to do things.

As for pizza Japan wins for me hands-down... mayo, a fresh-cracked egg in the center, and corn and just about anything and everything else.
  • Options
    @WetRats - nope - corn on pizza is not a common thing in Switzerland #-o

.....and before sombody asks - there is also no chocolate on it!
  • Options
    Good.
    Sadly, that is not the case here. Several chains offer Chocolate Chip Dessert Pizzas. Every bit as bad as you might imagine.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Several chains offer Chocolate Chip Dessert Pizzas. Every bit as bad as you might imagine.
    :-&

• Options
    edited April 2012
    :-&
    Yep.

And you wonder why I want to emigrate...
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Good.
    Sadly, that is not the case here. Several chains offer Chocolate Chip Dessert Pizzas. Every bit as bad as you might imagine.
    I want to eat this!

• Options
    Good.
    I want to eat this!

Is there a Pizza Inn in your area?

Do not say I didn't warn you.