Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1535 Talkback: The CGS Best of 2014 Awards Nomination Show

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    edited February 2015
    For me I love All New X-men. However, my problem is I am too far behind. My fault totally. A silly but not silly resolution I have this year to read at least one comic book a day. I haven't hit it every single day though I am doing better than I have been in recent months.

So I tried to nominate only things I read and remembered enough to make an impact on me.
  • Options

For me I love All New X-men. However, my problem is I am too far behind. My fault totally. A silly but not silly resolution I have this year to read at least one comic book a day. I haven't hit it every single day though I am doing better than I have been in recent months.

So I tried to nominate only things I read and remembered enough to make an impact on me.

That's why I didn't make a nomination list this year—too far behind on too many titles.
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    Have they posted the full list of nominations so that we can vote?
  • Options
    shaneb said:

Sorry, no we haven't. Another CGS-related project has been taking up all my free time lately. I'll get the list posted this weekend, Scout's Honor!
  • Options
    While most of my picks weren't even mentioned on the final ballots (my reading tastes are apparently very singular), I would like to vote on the final ballot. Murd, any word on when that will be up?
  • Options

shaneb said:

Sorry, no we haven't. Another CGS-related project has been taking up all my free time lately. I'll get the list posted this weekend, Scout's Honor!
    Would that be the Crisis tapes or do you have another something on the horizon?
  • Options
    Not speaking for Murd but probably a little Crisis Tapes and a little something else... ;)
  • Options

Not speaking for Murd but probably a little Crisis Tapes and a little something else... ;)

A little something else. Look for it early next week!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

Could Murd have been locked away in his time bubble again???
  • Options
    Yes, I cut the power to the bubble after he locked himself in there trying to get to the 70's. I wanted to visit the Bwaggaha League in the late 80's.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Looking forward to it, whatever it may be. You guys have been producing quite a lot lately. Thanks!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited February 2015
    Best of 2014 Final List is live in the main comic feed, everyone. Get those votes in before 3/1/15.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

That's why I didn't make a nomination list this year—too far behind on too many titles.
    Same reason I haven't nominated or voted.... I'm way behind on nearly all my books!
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

Just some random thoughts about the choices by the Geeks;

Falcon as Cap ... not new hero for me, don't agree he should be eligible for this category.

This is in contrast to The Crime Syndicate which I agree are new iterations of old characters, plus the new additions added to the team.

Wow am I tired of hearing about Saga. And as soon as I type that Chris picks Saga for best storyline, sheesh!

C.O.W.L. as Murd's choice is the first choice I remotely agree with and the co-writer's name is Alec Siegel, though Chris's pick of Moon Knight was a good choice as well.

All the talk of Silver Surfer being good bums me out. I was a huge fan of the late 80's-90's book and I would like to check out the new book, because Slott is a great writer. Unfortunately Allred's art makes it unreadable for me. I HATE his art style. Always have, slightly worse than Romita's art for me.

Agree with Chris about Rucka and Lazarus. That book is AMAZING!!!

On the subject of schilling ... both Chris and Murd do a great job, Chris for Marvel and a select few indy's and Murd for mostly off-the-wall indy's. I myself am constantly trying to get people to give lower selling books a try and I only hope I can be as persuasive as you two.

Jordie Bellaire, wow I can't believe you guys aren't familiar with her. She is very prolific and so very good. The thing that really stands out for me is how many different styles she uses to give the different books she does different tones and distinct feels. Moon Knight, Deadpool and Manhattan Projects for example are all wildly different.

Not a bad group on nominees all in all. I do feel like the group has a bit of tunnel vision about some books. It's to be understood I suppose as you are all friends and read similar things. This even extends to the listeners to some extent with so many of the same things being nominated or mentioned over and over. I totally agree with Murd's desire to have as wide open a field as possible. For that reason I wonder if it might be a good idea in the future to have someone from outside the group participate in the nomination show. Perhaps limit the nominations by stipulating one book/team per ballot. Thus if you pick Silver Surfer for best series you can't pick any of the creators for another category. Not the best solution, but it would be nice to hear more a more diverse selection of books mentioned.

A lot of the reason I bring this up is due to the fact I am still plugging away on the old episodes. One of the things the Geeks really stressed in the old days was getting the word out on all the great books that were flying below the radar. Things like the Indy Challenge and some of the interviews that let creators try to reach out to potential readers are some of my favorite things about the old episodes. I think with a smaller number of Geeks having time to commit to comics and of course the passing of the beloved Jamie D, some of the diversity of tastes and pull lists is missing. I only bring this up out of love and respect for you guys. I want to see the show continue and I would love to have you guys read things that I like and hear your opinions on those books as well as open my eyes to new things that you all enjoy.

I appreciate all the hard work and I will mention that although it didn't feel like the same ol' CGS without music and such, the quality was adequate. I don't think that substituting a Skype episode now and then is a bad idea, especially if the alternative is to not have an episode at all.

Falcon as Cap is not a new characrer. Its an old character in a new suit.

I also do not like Allred's. I never have. Its not that I think its bad, its not my cup-of-tea.

Jordie Bellaire rocks! I think she colors every book in existence. OK, not literally, but she is all over the place.
  • Options
    Quick question...who was the heavy breather in the episode? Ever so often I could near someone breathing...stuffy nose?
  • Options
    Murd,
    We don't know each other...I'm new to the forums...but you are the first person who sounds as excited and pleased as I am about Multiversity. The guys at my local shop are not talking it up; the customers arent saying much.
    Thanks for letting me feel like I'm not the only one.

Also, it's a pleasure to meet you.