Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's so Great about the DCU anyway?

2»

Comments

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    A little world building would have been appreciated. Earth 2 begins with the death of the trinity and then the second wave of wonders come along and all hell breaks loose. I had such hope for this title, especially with Robinson spearheading it.

And what's up with stealing Mr. Terrific?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

deadpool said:

Personally if you want a feel for DC universe as a whole , you like green lantern and kingdom come ... id say read Geoff Johns JSA, its self contained run in trades that touches and teaches about many aspects of DCU both old and new.

Exactly what I would suggest. If I could name ONE comic from "recent" years that embody what makes DC special, and different from Marvel, this book is it.

The JSA is a family, and is deeply rooted in the traditions and legacy of the DCU. And, more often than not, it's happy.

Unlike today.
    Every time DC wants to do a big "We're modern!" thing, they get rid of the Justice Society.
    They had Roy Thomas do it, when they brought it back in the early 90's, they canceled it before the first issue came out, and they are doing it now (the Earth 2 JSA just didn't work for me....sorry).

The good thing is, they keep coming back.
    Yeah... I appreciate what Earth 2 was trying to accomplish, but it was just as devoid of life, love, and humor as the rest of the Nu52. All violence, action, and darkness with no light. It reminded me more than a little of the Supreme Power stuff by JMS... nice as an experiment, but it really weighs you down, after a while.

-raises hand sheepishly-

I'm not done reading all the Earth 2 stuff, as I'm very behind, but....

I actually enjoyed what I've read so far, bleak as it was.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2015
    popestu said:

A little world building would have been appreciated. Earth 2 begins with the death of the trinity and then the second wave of wonders come along and all hell breaks loose. I had such hope for this title, especially with Robinson spearheading it.

They were trying to rebuild a New 52 JSA on Earth 2, which is where Mr. Terrific usually is. And, as his solo title from the New 52 launch had already been cancelled, I guess they figured they could shift him back to the team he is usually thought of being with.
  • Options
    For me, growing up I just gravitated more towards the DCU. Shows like Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, The Adventures of Superman, Lois and Clark, Smallville, Static Shock, and The Justice League really influenced me. Sure I loved watching X-Men and The Amazing Spiderman but there was no real interest after that. So when I got serious into comic books, I naturally gravitated towards DC and especially Batman, because lets me honest, until recently Marvel hadn't been doing too much with their heroes. This is in no way being meant to say I dont like Marvel, because they have some very good characters, I just prefer DC.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    David_D said:

popestu said:

They were trying to rebuild a New 52 JSA on Earth 2, which is where Mr. Terrific usually is. And, as his solo title from the New 52 launch had already been cancelled, I guess they figured they could shift him back to the team he is usually thought of being with.
    Probably, but why not start him there after Flashpoint? Why have a Terry Sloan and not make him a Mr. Terrific? If I had to guess, maybe they didn't think the New 52 all the way through.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2015
    popestu said:

David_D said:

popestu said:

Probably, but why not start him there after Flashpoint? Why have a Terry Sloan and not make him a Mr. Terrific? If I had to guess, maybe they didn't think the New 52 all the way through.
    I would guess they were hoping that a solo book with the Michael Holt Mr. Terrific would succeed. (I hoped it would, too. He was my favorite character from JSA. Unfortunately his solo title was not executed well. But I don't think that was due to a weakness on the part of the character. He was great, and a pivotal player, in the last volumes of JSA/ Justice Society of America, pre-New52).

And it could be that, had it succeeded, the character might still have made the jump into the Earth 2 title (if that title was already scheduled to happen) and maybe bring the readers of that title with him to the team book. And, remember, there wasn't an Earth 2 book in the original New 52. Or even an Earth-2 at all, I believe. It came out later, so there could have been I think a year of Mr. Terrific solo issues underway and then he could still have jumped into the Earth 2 book when it began. Of course, his solo title ended up getting cancelled before E2 launched.

So I don't know that it was as much not thinking it through as it is that what they thought if didn't end up having the success they hoped it would have.