Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Spider-Man finally in the MCU?!

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Maybe. But in sufficient enough numbers to be worth giving some of your Avengers money away to Sony? And, maybe more importantly, spending screen time on Spider-Man (which helps sell their next Spider-Man movie) that you could be using to better have your audience get to know an emerging character like Black Panther? Or whoever might be taking over the Cap mantle if Chris Evans is on his way out?

I don't know. I mean, heck, it's not my money, and I was going to see these movies anyway, so I don't have a dog in the fight as to whether they should do it or not. It is not going to sway my ticket buying, as that was already settled.

But I will say I am surprised that Marvel felt like they needed to do this. At a time when they have built up the Avengers characters as franchises that can beat out X-Men and Spider-Man movies (15 years ago could we have imagined THAT?) I don't know that it looks like a position of strength to borrow another studio's property as a guest star.

I'm trig to look through the articles to confirm, but I thought I heard that Sony wouldn't get money from films that guest-star Spider-Man.
    That's what I heard too. Someone described it as "Sony leases Spider-man to MCU".

M
    Thank you for confirming that I'm not totally crazy, Matt.

That's a hell of a deal.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    According to Variety, here are the two actors Marvel is currently considering. No Miles Morales it appears.

Dylan O’Brien (The Maze Runner) and Logan Lerman (Fury)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

According to Variety, here are the two actors Marvel is currently considering. No Miles Morales it appears.

Neither one looks like a high school student.
  • Options
    That's nothing new...
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:

Apparently Marvel wants to move beyond Peter being in high school, and skip over rehashing the origin again.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

Apparently Marvel wants to move beyond Peter being in high school, and skip over rehashing the origin again.
    I recall it was they wanted to squeeze more life out of his high school years, and skip over reredoing the origin.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

I recall it was they wanted to squeeze more life out of his high school years, and skip over reredoing the origin.

M
    I guess nothing is 'officially' confirmed yet :)
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Matt said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

M
    Nope, that's why I didn't reference confirmation. At this point, whose to say the studios know exactly what they want. There's even a chance of Miles for those that want him over Parker.

M
  • Options
    You're a bit of a romantic, aren't you @Matt?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Logan Lerman was one of the shortlisted actors the last time they were recasting. He looked like a high schooler then, but he's still only 23. Andrew Garfield was 27 or 28. Even Tobey Macguire was 26 his first go around.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

M
    Nope, that's why I didn't reference confirmation. At this point, whose to say the studios know exactly what they want. There's even a chance of Miles for those that want him over Parker.

M

I seriously doubt we'll get Miles Morales centered movie for quite a while. For one, Marvel didn't do this much work to not have the primary version of their flagship character in their universe. Secondly they'll never have two different Spider-men in movies at the same time. If Miles get a new identity when he comes to the new marvel U after Secret Wars then I could see that character appearing in a Spiderman movie in like phase 4 or 5.
  • Options

You're a bit of a romantic, aren't you @Matt?

Depends on my cover ID.
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

M

M

I seriously doubt we'll get Miles Morales centered movie for quite a while. For one, Marvel didn't do this much work to not have the primary version of their flagship character in their universe. Secondly they'll never have two different Spider-men in movies at the same time. If Miles get a new identity when he comes to the new marvel U after Secret Wars then I could see that character appearing in a Spiderman movie in like phase 4 or 5.
    That was actually a tongue and cheek comment. There is this fraction of people on twitter with #MakeMineMiles who want Miles. Some jackass even claimed Parker is boring, he had 5 movies to try to get it right, and anyone who doesn't want Miles is a racist. Now, although he is entitled to his opinion about Parker and Miles, accusing someone who prefers the original because he's the original, more recognized, and the one most relateable, of being a racist merely because Miles isn't Caucasian is creating a reason because of not having an actual reason.

Regardless, Parker is Spider-man, Kent is Superman, Batman is Batman. There can be replacements along the way, but there's a reason the originals always return. If Miles/Spider-man was crowbarred into MCU movies, I would grin & bear it. I would just boycott the solo movie like I did with the ASM series for the exact same reason; not interested in the interpretation.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

M

M

That was actually a tongue and cheek comment. There is this fraction of people on twitter with #MakeMineMiles who want Miles. Some jackass even claimed Parker is boring, he had 5 movies to try to get it right, and anyone who doesn't want Miles is a racist. Now, although he is entitled to his opinion about Parker and Miles, accusing someone who prefers the original because he's the original, more recognized, and the one most relateable, of being a racist merely because Miles isn't Caucasian is creating a reason because of not having an actual reason.

Regardless, Parker is Spider-man, Kent is Superman, Batman is Batman. There can be replacements along the way, but there's a reason the originals always return. If Miles/Spider-man was crowbarred into MCU movies, I would grin & bear it. I would just boycott the solo movie like I did with the ASM series for the exact same reason; not interested in the interpretation.

M
    Was your comment earlier about Miguel O'Hara also tongue in cheek? (That's how I took it) Because I would watch the shock out of a Spider-man 2099 movie.
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

M

M

M
    Was your comment earlier about Miguel O'Hara also tongue in cheek? (That's how I took it) Because I would watch the shock out of a Spider-man 2099 movie.
    Kind of. If they aren't going with Parker, the only way they'd get any interest from me is with Miguel.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Parker is Spider-man, Kent is Superman, Batman is Batman.

Never change, Matt. Never change.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Matt said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

M
    I've seen both of those scenarios reported as if they were fact.

I think the only thing that's certain is that we won't get the origin all over again.

I'd be fine with either one, but it's always surprised me how quick they were to drop the high school element. Raimi gave it about half a film, and the reboot gave it one film and maybe five minutes of a graduation ceremony in the next.

But, we've also yet to see an adult Spider-Man, which is what we've actually had for most of this time in the comics.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

...it's always surprised me how quick they were to drop the high school element. Raimi gave it about half a film, and the reboot gave it one film and maybe five minutes of a graduation ceremony in the next.

But, we've also yet to see an adult Spider-Man, which is what we've actually had for most of this time in the comics.

Good point.
  • Options
    An animated Spider-Man movie in 2018?!?

If we're ever going to get a Miles Morales movie then this is it.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

who r these kids?

Bottom right is Ender Wiggins.

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    That can't be right, whoever heard of casting a teenager to play a teenager? :)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I do even remember making this thread. All of a sudden, I got notifications on it :p

So yeah, never heard of the kid. Which I'm fine with.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    ASA is now OUT?!?!

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-spider-man-frontrunners-screen-tested-in-atlanta-over-the-weekend/

6/12/15 UPDATE: And then there were three. According to Wrap reporter Jeff Sneider, three actors are still in the running for the rebooted, Sony/Marvel Studios Spider-Man. There’s Tom Holland, Charlie Plummer and Matthew Lintz. Asa Butterfield, reportedly, is out of the running. Read more below, along with the previous update.

UPDATE: Sneider made the announcement on Meet the Movie Press. He said Sony wants Holland and Marvel is leaning towards Plummer but each is still in the running, along with Lintz. You can listen to it towards the beginning of this video at the above link. We’ll post more when there is more.

TOM HOLLAND

CHARLIE PLUMMER

• Options
    Tom Holland was really great in "The Impossible", pretty much steals the show from Naomi Watts and Ewen MacGregor. So, for once, I hope Sony wins this one.
  • Options
    Apparently Plummer is out and now Charlie Rowe and Tom Holland are the finalists: comicbook.com/2015/06/12/new-spider-man-casting-report-claims-its-down-to-two-actors/
  • Options
    Little bit of irony, Charlie Rowe played the younger version of Andrew Garfield's character in "Never Let Me Go". Future IMDB trivia fact if he gets the part.