Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Spider-Man finally in the MCU?!

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Are they really never going to finish the Amazing Spider-Man story? Just because the second film sucked?
  • Options
    mphil said:

Are they really never going to finish the Amazing Spider-Man story? Just because the second film sucked?

They didn't finish the Raimi series in part because the third one sucked. Sony had a choice, potentially let one if their biggest franchises waffle and die with one more movie, be put into storage for a decade and then try to reboot, or reinvigorate it now by teaming up with Marvel. And Marvel wasn't going to have outside baggage forced on them.

Besides, is it such a loss to not finish a trilogy or whatever of a mediocre movie and a just plain bad one?
  • Options

mphil said:

They didn't finish the Raimi series in part because the third one sucked. Sony had a choice, potentially let one if their biggest franchises waffle and die with one more movie, be put into storage for a decade and then try to reboot, or reinvigorate it now by teaming up with Marvel. And Marvel wasn't going to have outside baggage forced on them.
    Yep. See also the following unfinished stories / franchises killed (or put on hiatus) by a sucky installment:

Batman and Robin
    Conan The Destroyer
    Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
    Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
    Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    Charlie Angels: Full Throttle
    Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
    Alien Resurrection

Honorable Mention:
    Green Lantern
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

They had to give Joe Dante complete creative control to lure him back to get Gremlins 2 completed, so I'm not sure a third film was ever that likely, even if it had been a bigger hit.

• Options

mphil said:

Besides, is it such a loss to not finish a trilogy or whatever of a mediocre movie and a just plain bad one?
    I think this is different. They set up a mystery in movie 1 that will never be answered. I don't recall this being the case of Raimi's Spider-Man. The least they can do is finish the story in comic form.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Does anyone have any hope that the creators themselves even knew the resolution to the plotlines they came up with in the Amazing films? Considering that they went back and forth on whether the story would work with or without Peter's dad turning up alive at the end of the second one tells me they never had a firm grip on where they were going.

And I never felt like the Raimi films didn't reach an end point. As much as I disliked the third film, it still felt like an ending to me. Unless that fourth film led to another trilogy, I think it would have always felt like an awkward add-on at best.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Does anyone have any hope that the creators themselves even knew the resolution to the plotlines they came up with in the Amazing films? Considering that they went back and forth on whether the story would work with or without Peter's dad turning up alive at the end of the second one tells me they never had a firm grip on where they were going.

And I never felt like the Raimi films didn't reach an end point. As much as I disliked the third film, it still felt like an ending to me. Unless that fourth film led to another trilogy, I think it would have always felt like an awkward add-on at best.

Agree wholeheartedly.

There were so many dangling plot threads even in the first ASM film that I think the creators had little concern over drawing any of them to conclusions, or maybe it was Sony's fault. The entire Rajit Ratha storyline seemed excised, which screams studio intervention. These films were a mess, and I would hope everyone understood that by the time the oddly out of place X-Men credits scene appeared.
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't see it that way. I saw the mystery of what happened to his father as the overriding plot to the series. To me not having an answer to that is akin to not having an answer to Lost.

And I disagree that the films were a mess. The second certainly was, but the first was quite good IMO, better than any of the Raimi films, got a 72% on RT.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Frankly, I thought the first Garfield ASM movie was just okay, and that the second one, with Electro, was much better and more enjoyable. That was my take on them.
  • Options
    I think the answer to the mystery lies somewhere in the still unbooked audience testing that would've invariably taken place during the production of an even more Joel Schumaker-esque (groan) third installment that I'm thankful we will never see.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

chrisw said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

There were so many dangling plot threads even in the first ASM film that I think the creators had little concern over drawing any of them to conclusions, or maybe it was Sony's fault. The entire Rajit Ratha storyline seemed excised, which screams studio intervention. These films were a mess, and I would hope everyone understood that by the time the oddly out of place X-Men credits scene appeared.
    X-Men credits scene?
  • Options

chrisw said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

X-Men credits scene?
    When the movie came out in theaters it had a mid credits scene that was from DoFP. This was the result of a deal between Sony and Fox that allowed Marc Webb to direct ASM 2 even though he was contractually obligated to make another film for Fox first.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    You gotta be clearer about which x-men you were talking. There have been like 17 x men movies in the last 15 years. I'm sort of with you now, but the original post made no sense.
  • Options

chrisw said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

X-Men credits scene?
    When the movie came out in theaters it had a mid credits scene that was from DoFP. This was the result of a deal between Sony and Fox that allowed Marc Webb to direct ASM 2 even though he was contractually obligated to make another film for Fox first.
    Basically it was a scene after the movie that had absolutely nothing to do with the movie you just saw. I suppose they felt like they shared the same demographics, but it only added to the mess of a film.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

chrisw said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

X-Men credits scene?
    Ah, I had no clue that was there.
  • Options
    So an actor who actually looks Peter Parker's age.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mphil said:

So an actor who actually looks Peter Parker's age.

Wait... Spider-Man was first published in 1963 and Peter was probably 15-16 years old, and after doing some quick math, wouldn't this guy be more representative of Peter Parker's current age?

;)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:
    She's 51.

Completely reasonable.

I've long found it silly that Aunt May was more Granny May.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    too hot to be aunt may???

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2015
    "Who's got six thumbs and approves of this casting...?"

• Options
    saw this somewhere
    HAHAHA
    THE CURIOUS CASE OF AUNT MAY
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    It's not her age (51) that's so jarring, it's her appearance. Aunt May has always been drawn as the ultimate mid-20th century little old lady, skinny and wrinkly and fearful. Tomei is the type of modern 50-something woman who is fit and active and assertive. We continue to cast Peter Parker as a scrawny young man, so its funny that Aunt May is so wildly off-type now.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I always felt that Aunt May looked ridiculously old in the comics, though. As a kid, I always assumed she was actually his grandmother, or a great aunt, or just an elederly woman taking care of him that Peter affectionately called "Aunt" - anything but his literal aunt. When I realized that was actually the case, I thought that was nuts.

I'm sure at some point someone wrote a story explaining the age discrepancy, but honestly, she looks like the Crypt Keeper in some of those Silver Age stories. I know people aged faster back then, but come on...
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    At least when May gets turned into the Golden Oldie...it will be way more pleasing to the eye. ;)
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I think it is sad commentary when the best role Marisa Tomei can land in Hollywood lately is Aunt May.
  • Options
    wait... so peter parker is italian?