Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Harrison Ford to [appear] in {completely unnecessary?} Blade Runner Sequel

Comments

• SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Torchsong said:

The Case for Crystal Skull: The return of Marion Ravenwood.

The Case against Crystal Skull: Everything else.

The case for it: I had fun when I watched it, and still have fun when I watch it. I don't expect much else. Now, hopefully Marvel gets on the ball and gets a Indy comic within the next year or so...

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I had fun watching it, but it felt like I was watching a parody of an Indiana Jones movie. I think this series seems to be following the same pattern the original Trek movies followed, in that the even numbered movies of that series (Khan, Home, Country) were regarded as much better than the odd ones (Original, Spock, Frontier). With the Indiana Jones series, Raiders and Holy Grail just seem like different, and much better, movies than the other two.

Entertaining? Yes. Consistent? No.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2015
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

I last watched the movie on DVD. The knight looked like Jaga from Thundercats. What did Lucas replace those scenes with? Is it the Blu-Ray version?

M

I think he means the Very Old Indy scenes.
    ;)
    Correct. I was referring to Young Indiana Jones. No one knows why Lucas had those removed. He's never commented on it.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Torchsong said:

It was the first time in years that Ford showed any type life

edited March 2015
    And I like Blade Runner but I don't think it's something that should be spoken of in these hushed tones. For my PKD adaptations I like Total Recall. And I don't think Spielberg has made a better film since Minority Report
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    DAR said:

And I like Blade Runner but I don't think it's something that should be spoken of in these hushed tones. For my PKD adaptations I like Total Recall. And I don't think Spielberg has made a better film since Minority Report

Not in hushed tones at all. I shout it from the mountain top! :D

I can take or leave Total Recall. It departed more from Dick's text than even Blade Runner.
    My ranking of the best PKD adaptations to film:

1. Blade Runner
    2. Minority Report
    3. Next
    4. The Adjustment Bureau
    5. Total Recall

Honorable Mention: Paycheck
    Of course I speak of the Arnold Total Recall not that thing Collin Farrell did
    I assumed as much, and it was the Ah-nold version is the one I was referring too. Never saw the newer one.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

Yep.

Seeing Karen Allen was the only reason I went to the movie.
    You can skip it.

I will say it is possible to make an entertaining sequel to an iconic Sci fi classic as long as it's accepted that the sequel likely won't become iconic itself case in point 2010
    DAR said:

You can skip it.

I will say it is possible to make an entertaining sequel to an iconic Sci fi classic as long as it's accepted that the sequel likely won't become iconic itself case in point 2010

It's even possible to make an entertaining sequel to a trippy, arty, incoherent mess. Case in point 2010.
    WetRats said:

DAR said:

You can skip it.

It's even possible to make an entertaining sequel to a trippy, arty, incoherent mess. Case in point 2010.
    Also, case in point Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    edited March 2015
    As for the new director I've seen two of his films Enemy with Jake Gylenhall and Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Gyllenhal. I wasn't too crazy about Enemy. But I thought Prisoners was pretty great though a tad too long
    I'm not saying they can't make an entertaining sequel to Blade Runner. But there's no point to it. Everything important to that story was told in Blade Runner. The unanswered questions are best left unanswered, and the story is stronger for it. A sequel would at best be redundant, and at worst undercut Dick’s exploration of what it means to be human that lies at the core of the movie.

And besides, even if they make it, it still won't actually exist, so why bother?
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    DAR said:

You can skip it.

The cheese stands alone...I thought the Total Recall remake was entertaining. Actually, moreso then the original movie. Some of the aliens were distracting.

M
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    What is the demo for a Blade Runner sequel?

The # of people that saw the original in theatres and who later made it a "cult classic" is a relatively small # to start with and they will be divided on seeing a sequel - if they even acknowledge the existence of the sequel at all.

Depending on if the sequel gets a "R" rating, many teenagers may be out as a potiential audience.

Many of the 18 to 30 crowd have never seen the first one, so you are asking them to see two movies, hoping they like a movie that is 35 yrs old when its sequel comes out - and that they like it so much that they want more.

What is the demo for a Blade Runner sequel?

The # of people that saw the original in theatres and who later made it a "cult classic" is a relatively small # to start with and they will be divided on seeing a sequel - if they even acknowledge the existence of the sequel at all.

Depending on if the sequel gets a "R" rating, many teenagers may be out as a potiential audience.

Many of the 18 to 30 crowd have never seen the first one, so you are asking them to see two movies, hoping they like a movie that is 35 yrs old when its sequel comes out - and that they like it so much that they want more.

And Ford just isn't a big Box Office draw anymore.

My best guess is that the studio thinks his rep will be re-established by Star Wars.
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    Hollywood feeds off of our fear and anger toward their sequels. If we all band together and choose to ignore them they will lose their power.

At least, that's how it worked when the ThunderCats battled Mongor. I think there might have also been bubbles involved.

So please allow me to amend my previous statement. If we all band together, choose to ignore sequels AND shoot bubbles at Hollywood, they will lose their power.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    DAR said:

Call me crazy but I liked Crystal Skull.

DAR, you're crazy.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

DAR said:

Call me crazy but I liked Crystal Skull.

DAR, you're crazy.
    ...but loveable!
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Did they ever explain why androids needed to eat in the book (or movie)? And if so, how did they take a dump?

I'm serious, this really bugged me. Seemed like the obvious Turing test would be to feed an android a bean burrito and wait.
    Torchsong said:

Did they ever explain why androids needed to eat in the book (or movie)? And if so, how did they take a dump?

I'm serious, this really bugged me. Seemed like the obvious Turing test would be to feed an android a bean burrito and wait.

I thought the Replicants were organic, not mechanical.

They were artificial humans, superior except for their planned obsolescence, but human nonetheless

It still seems like a blood test would be a lot easier than an interview.
    Yes, they are completey organic, physically identical to humans in every way.

Dick was always far more interested in psychology than biology, so he doesn't go into great detail about the physicality of the androids. They were just a means to explore the human mind, not the point of the story. With Dick’s work, you just have to put hard science questions aside for the most part, and go with it.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    (Referring back to the Crystal Skull conversation, I felt Ford looked awkward with the whip, at least early into the film. I don't usually notice stuff like that, but it stuck out to me. I was wondering how this guy was supposed to do anything with it)
    A couple of interesting tidbits about Blade Runner:

One of the earliest screenplays opened the movie on an "Off-World Termination Dump", where three dead replicants were to be disposed of. The screenwriter reused this idea of discarding dead servants on an off-world colony dump in his screenplay for Soldier, which he considered a 'side-quel' to Blade Runner (i.e. an unrelated movie taking place in the same fictional universe).

Titles considered for the film include 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?', 'Android', 'Mechanismo', 'Dangerous Days', and finally 'Blade Runner'. After the film had changed its name from 'Dangerous Days' to 'Blade Runner', Ridley Scott decided he didn't like the new name, and tried to call the film 'Gotham City', but Bob Kane wouldn't sell the rights to the name, so it returned to being called 'Blade Runner'.

• Since Ford seems to be the king of belated sequels can we get a list going of other movies he should revisit?

I say:
    Air Force 2
    Seven Days Eight Nights
    K*20 Widowmaker Returns
    And a more recent one: "43"
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I say Mosquito Coast 2 or nothing.