Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1543 Talkback - The 2015 London Super Comic Convention

The fourth annual London Super Comic Convention has come and gone and CGS was there! Here's a recap of the sights, sounds, and socializing experienced by Bryan, Pants, and Murd during their long weekend in London working the con. Includes a few guest appearances and details of the charity art auction held at the con to raise funds for cancer research in memory of Jamie D. (1:07:07)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    Not gonna lie to you Adam. Tasted minging (if you remember the definition) at first but actually grew on me. Hope the Irn-Bru was to your liking.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Jamfeb said:

Not gonna lie to you Adam. Tasted minging (if you remember the definition) at first but actually grew on me. Hope the Irn-Bru was to your liking.

Birch beer and root beer really are acquired tastes, especially if you're not used to that particular flavor combination. My girlfriend tells a story of one of her exes getting a bunch of root beer sent to Japan, since he and his friends hadn't had it in forever. They were in heaven, but their Japanese colleagues hated it and said it tasted like cough syrup.
  • Options

Birch beer and root beer really are acquired tastes, especially if you're not used to that particular flavor combination. My girlfriend tells a story of one of her exes getting a bunch of root beer sent to Japan, since he and his friends hadn't had it in forever. They were in heaven, but their Japanese colleagues hated it and said it tasted like cough syrup.

Is root beer the same as British Ginger beer?
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited March 2015
    Jamfeb said:

Is root beer the same as British Ginger beer?

Similar, but different. Ginger beer tastes strongly of ginger (obviously), so the closest analog to that we have here (other than Jamaican ginger beer, which my friends and I enjoy often), is ginger ale. Root beer has a lot going on flavor-wise. You tend to get a vanilla hit on the tongue, then some sort of Earthy spice like cinnamon, and depending on the sweetener used there can be a bitter note or two in there too.

And no two root beers are exactly alike, as there is no standardized formula. One of my favorite root beers around here is Boylan, which also happens to make birch beer, black cherry, and cream soda.

• Options
    Great panel guys - thanks. Enjoyed the follow up show too.

Oh and yeah, that was me, I recorded it :-)

BTW it was AlcoComics Annonymous - or will be when the first episode is out!

(Check your email :-)

Cheers,

Nick
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Jamfeb said:

I'd never heard of Birch Beer before the episode. My son and I happened to be in a store today that sells sodas you can't normally find in our area. They had a nice selection of PA Dutch Birch Beer so we bought some. Good stuff! Tastes just like root beer to me :)

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Hey guys. Just wanted to say what a great time I had seeing Bryan and Pants and meeting my hero Adam. Made my day to hear Pants say that I'm the spitting image of Constantine! Hope you enjoyed the Irn-Bru and especially the haggis.
    P.S Adam saying "Bahookie" is now my notification tone.
  • Options
    Had this issue of Animal Man #24 signed by Brian Bolland at LSCC.
    Turns out he referenced each issue cover because he had a FULL collection of DC at this time which he only recently sold @Adam_Murdough
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Guys great episode. Ive got about 10 episodes built up so I'm picking and choosing what to listen to. This was a top of the stack for me. (Cgs 10 year show is progressing along slowly).

I would like to make one quick comment, deemer and pants made a passing comment about chris bringing in fresh ideas (question was about quitting cgs). Chris has been a great addition to the show. No one can fill the void jamie d left when he passed, but chris has been a great new voice and that has really helped.

It was great to listen too and as always thankyou guys.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I've been to England three times, but it's too bad that I haven't timed my travels there to the London Super Con. Maybe the 5th anniversary next year? From what I've heard it seems really good.