Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Who are the most prominent Marvel and DC characters to have never had a solo series?

Ongoing and limited series count. I am just curious because it feels like EVERYONE has had one but I am sure someone of reasonable prominence has not.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Has Cyborg, of DC Comics, ever had a mini?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    The answers would almost have to be villians right? Most prominent heroes have had at least a mini.
    Maybe some the teen titans or doom patrol or lesser justice leaguers from dc.
    There has probably been some lesser avengers without a solo book; I doubt there has been a prominent xman (maybe prof. Xavier) that hasn't had one.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Has there ever been a Galactus series?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Has Cyborg, of DC Comics, ever had a mini?

Does this count?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Pretty sure Marvel's Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) has never had a solo series. As a founding member of the Avengers, that is a real shame.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited March 2015
    Hex said:

Pretty sure Marvel's Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) has never had a solo series. As a founding member of the Avengers, that is a real shame.

Yes, she's only had shared comics with Ant-Man.

Even more fundamental than that though, Invisible Woman has never had a solo series. Sue had a Captain Universe one shot, but not a series. She had to share her "Before the Fantastic Four" mini with her brother, whereas Reed and Ben got their own individual ones. Reed has not had one as Mr Fantastic though.

Looking at Avengers from classic line-ups and bearing in mind Dr Druid had a solo series, so the bar is pretty low to get one, these folks also missed out:

Swordsman
    Moondragon
    Mantis
    Starfox (he probably didn't want to get mixed up with Eros Comix)
  • Options
    Brack said:

Even more fundamental than that though, Invisible Woman has never had a solo series.

whoa... that. sucks.
    I would totally buy the Hell out of an Invisible Woman title.
    Sue is my daughter's favourite character!
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity; has there ever been a solo issue for J Jonah Jameson?
    one-shot, or mini-series, or "marvel premier" type one-off?
    I'de totally buy a JJJ issue too.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2015

Ongoing and limited series count. I am just curious because it feels like EVERYONE has had one but I am sure someone of reasonable prominence has not.

I'd like to see a Felicia Hardy (Black Cat) series

RickM said:

Just this one shot that I know of. It is awesome though...

Hex said:

Not that I know of, but could you imagine one of those 8 minute Marvel One Shots starring J. K. Simmons??
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I'd like to see a Felicia Hardy (Black Cat) series.

Well, this one was decent.

And this one was pretty darn good.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Yes. I remembered those after I posted. Thanks Eric.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Let's see..off the top of my head:

Rage (from Avengers and New Warriors)
    most of the New Mutants (except for Magik and Warlock)
    Jason Todd (are we counting Red Hood and the Outsiders or is that more a team book)
    Hawk and Dove (again..does this count or no?)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    bats00 said:

Hawk without Dove (or vice versa) kind of defeats the point. Like the song says, you can't have one without the other.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Yes. I remembered those after I posted. Thanks Eric.
    There's another mini-series from the 90s. She was wearing the naval cut, furless outfit that's her 2nd crappiest costume.

M
  • Options

bats00 said:

Hawk without Dove (or vice versa) kind of defeats the point. Like the song says, you can't have one without the other.
    At least not without Monarch/Extant BS.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited March 2015
    Hex said:

Brack said:

Even more fundamental than that though, Invisible Woman has never had a solo series.

whoa... that. sucks.
    Here is a pretty recent CBR Comic Book Legends Revealed that talks about the Invisible Woman mini that very nearly was.

I don't recall Jean Grey having a solo series, just two with Cyclops. And I'm probably wrong about this but I can't think of any on the Inhuman royal family as having solo minis.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Hex said:

Brack said:

whoa... that. sucks.
    Well, aside from sue, i don't think Reed has ever had a solo series, either, right?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Since superhero wasn't specified I immediately thought of Amanda Waller. Her name has been in only one title, and after the colon at that, "Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller", and it was a one-shot.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    bats00 said:

I can't believe I never knew that Warlock had his own series. And written by Louise Simonson, no less! Is it any good?

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    ctowner1 said:

Hex said:

Brack said:

whoa... that. sucks.
    Well, aside from sue, i don't think Reed has ever had a solo series, either, right?

e
    L nny
    He had a "Before the Fantastic Four" mini-series.
  • Options

I'd like to see a Felicia Hardy (Black Cat) series

RickM said:

Just this one shot that I know of. It is awesome though...

Hex said:

Not that I know of, but could you imagine one of those 8 minute Marvel One Shots starring J. K. Simmons??
    He also had the Galactus: the Devourer mini.

• Options
    edited March 2015

I can't believe I never knew that Warlock had his own series. And written by Louise Simonson, no less! Is it any good?

I can't remember the specifics about the storyline in the short-lived Warlock series, but I do remember enjoying the Pasqual Ferry artwork!

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Hex said:

The most she had was her own strip as a back-up to the regular Giant-Man & The Wasp series in Tales To Astonish, back in the day... but it was sporadic and was usually along the lines of her telling one of those monster stories that used to run in the mag previous to the Marvel Era.
  • Options
    bats00 said:

Let's see..off the top of my head:

Rage (from Avengers and New Warriors)
    Jason Todd (are we counting Red Hood and the Outsiders or is that more a team book)

I feel like Jason had a mini before the Nu52, detailing his trials with Talia and other stuff.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Hex said:

I can't remember the specifics about the storyline in the short-lived Warlock series, but I do remember enjoying the Pasqual Ferry artwork!

I remember it being fun...nothing spectacular but fun. He ends up having a techno-organic monkey so that was fun.
  • Options
    Plus there was this series from the 1970s. I've got a few issues of it in my collection:

• Options
    Warlock from New Mutants and Adam Warlock are two very different characters.
  • Options
    Doh! My bad ... only skimmed through the thread.
  • Options
    Totally understandable. I have a hard time keeping all the various Spider-Women and Scarcrows straight.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    rebis said:

Totally understandable. I have a hard time keeping all the various Spider-Women and Scarcrows straight.

Not to mention the Iron Men, Spider-Men, Captain Americas, Thors, Ms Marvels and Captain Marvels.

Thank God DC has never had problems like that!