Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Crisis Tapes 12 Talkback: Crisis on Infinite Earths #2, Part 1

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited April 2015 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The Monitor's 'Great Fifteen' original multiversal defenders have been summoned and gathered and are now aboard the Monitor's satellite to be briefed on their dire, life-or-death mission, while far below on Earth-One, the first cracks in time and space begin to appear! It's the beginning of the end for the mainstream DC Universe, and Rios and Murdough are there to comment on the chaos! (3:06:30)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Another great in-depth episode fellas with lots of keen insights.

Are you familiar with the "Fire & Water" Podcast? They've been running a fun series of episodes focusing on DC's "Who's Who" series that was published simultaneously with Crisis. They just posted an episode of the last issue of the initial series. Next they're moving onto the Legion, Star Trek, and updates:

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-fire-and-water-podcast/id463855630

I think this series is a fine complement to your wonderful Crisis musings.

Personally, I'd love to hear similar in-depth analyses of Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier & Waid and Ross's Kingdom Come.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    JaxUr said:

Personally, I'd love to hear similar in-depth analyses of Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier & Waid and Ross's Kingdom Come.

This.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2015
    Re: John Byrne's possible involvement in Crisis, here’s what George told me when I asked him if he was involved at all in the initial plotting:

“I think the initial ideas were worked out by Marv, Len Wein, and Bob Greenberger. I don't know if, when they were conceptualizing it, I was even attached to it. I'd heard John Byrne might have been approached, because Marv didn't think I'd be available for whatever reason. So when I found out about the project and said I'd definitely be interested in doing it—I believe John had bowed out anyway—they didn't bother looking any further, because I was the logical choice.”

Now, George was a little fuzzy on the facts, and it may be that rumors and memories are intermingling, and it never happened, but George makes it sound like Byrne was approached to be the artist initially. Of course, by that time, John was writing his own stuff and wanting to keep going in that direction, and I don't know if he would have taken on the job if he was only going to be drawing it and not at least be involved in the plotting. Whatever the case, while it's possible he was approached to be the artist (or even artist/cowriter), I think it's safe to assume the basic ideas for Crisis were invented by Marv, Len, and Bob.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    fredzilla said:

JaxUr said:

This.
    This, indeed.
  • Options
    DMHaightDMHaight Posts: 23

Re: John Byrne's possible involvement in Crisis, here what George told me when I asked him if he was involved at all in the initial plotting:

“I think the initial ideas were worked out by Marv, Len Wein, and Bob Greenberger. I don't know if, when they were conceptualizing it, I was even attached to it. I'd heard John Byrne might have been approached, because Marv didn't think I'd be available for whatever reason. So when I found out about the project and said I'd definitely be interested in doing it—I believe John had bowed out anyway—they didn't bother looking any further, because I was the logical choice.”

Now, George was a little fuzzy on the facts, and it may be that rumors and memories are intermingling, and it never happened, but George makes it sound like Byrne was approached to be the artist initially. Of course, by that time, John was writing his own stuff and wanting to keep going in that direction, and I don't know if he would have taken on the job if he was only going to be drawing it and not at least be involved in the plotting. Whatever the case, while it's possible he was approached to be the artist (or even artist/cowriter), I think it's safe to assume the basic ideas for Crisis were invented by Marv, Len, and Bob.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much DC editorial had in mind about their "50th anniversary event" before a writer was even approached to come up with any sort of plot. I wonder for instance if the ideas of rebooting and restarting their line came before any other semblance of an in-continuity story that would make such a thing happen. I'd be curious to see if Dick Giordano was ever interviewed about that time and offered any additional thoughts.

In any case, while John Byrne started as writer/artist of the FF in July 1981, having just read an interview with him about those days ("Comic Creators on Fantastic Four") I tend to doubt he'd have been approached as early as 1982 to handle both writing and art for a project like Crisis. Yes, I know, he was subsequently approached for the 1986 Man of Steel reboot, but frankly I don't think that had as much pre-planning as Crisis did. Also, to your point of JLB wanting to continue doing both writing and art, while I'm sure that's true given the majority of the stuff he did following the FF, I recall he did the artwork only on the crossover event that followed Crisis - i.e. Legends. So, maybe the dinner happened, but the thought was for him as artist only perhaps? In any case, even if JLB's version played out and he were agreeable to take on such an assignment, the final version wouldn't have had much in common with the Crisis we all know, except maybe the reboot of the multiverse as I suggested above, if that was always the plan from DC editorial?
  • Options
    Another great episode guys, full of insightful comments and reflections on both Crisis as a whole and pages 1-14 of issue 2. I found it very helpful to have a copy of the issue on hand to look at as I listened; more so than with issue 1.

I think issue 1 is a lot more straight forward in a sense...we get the first glimpse of the problem, a few hints of central characters reacting to the situation, a gathering as the title indicates, an unexpected attack from the "enemy", and a last page reveal of the man behind the curtain - the Monitor. Issue 2 on the other hand has a lot more seemingly randomness or chaos to it, as we see some (initial) Crisis impacts on the past (Anthro), future (Legion), and present (Flash, Batman, Joker) before we return to the cliffhanger from last issue (10 pages into #2 already) and are given at least some hints/direction on what the fifteen "gathered" are being asked to take part in.

Not getting the full story at this point, along with the constant scene shifting, really imo adds to the reader's feel of how out of control or chaotic this multiversal crisis truly is.

Beyond the "main" plot of the fifteen being assigned to protect the Monitor's tuning forks, there are a number of pivotal scenes here that are relevant to the later story, or in some cases even referred back to...
    - The fate of the Flash
    - The involvement of the Guardians
    - The meeting of the World's Finest on Earth-1 to assess the situation

I agree with the comment on how the Batman and Joker as represented are very different than their post-Crisis versions. If anyone were to ever attempt a modern retrospective on the events of Crisis (like the "new-52 version"), I could see the dialogue, and maybe even the whole fight, being redone to fit with the newer versions (not that I'd like to see that mind you...frankly I happen to prefer the pre-Crisis characters in most cases to their post-Crisis or new-52 counterparts).

I also like your points about the differences in (a) the Corps as military instead of policemen, and (b) the World's Finest duo being more recognized than the concept of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman as the "Big Three".

I also noted that 9 of the 15 characters gathered were from comics I happened to be reading at the time, so for me those choices seemed very natural.

I'm also curious enough to keep delving into that concept of the "five crucial eras" where the tuning forks are placed. I suppose over the past 30 years some of the finer Crisis plot points of this series have faded into my own personal anti-matter wall.

In any case, looking forward to future installments! :)
  • Options
    Another great episode. These always jump to the top of the queue when they are released.

Time to share my "Crisis Kid" story, as I am a Crisis kids, having just gotten into comics in 1984. I got a huge bundle of comics at a garage sale late 1984, with a ton of DC Comics mixed in there (including a bunch of Kirby Jimmy Olsen, but alas, it was missing the Darkseid first appearance). Among those comics were the 5 part "Crisis on Earth Prime" story in All-Star Squadron and JLA. To 12 year old me, I had no problem understanding the difference between the earths, and I remember thinking to myself that it wasn't confusing at all.

I vaguely remember picking up Crisis as it came out in 1985. I remember reading the end of it though, and being blown away.

Being the OCD comic book fan that we all are, I *had* to get everything Crisis related. So, once ICG published "The Official Crisis on Infinite Earths Index" and "The Official Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover Index" it was done. I had to have it all.

So, between 1986 and 1988, I managed to grab everything. And, considering how recently everything had been published, it was easy to find.

About 5 years ago, I sold off the entire collection. Which included my copies of G.I. Combat #274 and #275.

Every time you guys mention it, my heart breaks just a little, as I would have gladly contributed those to you guys if I still had a collection to speak off. Small price to pay to give something back to you guys. I'm loving listening to you guys spend as much as you are on each of these issues. It's a big deal to this 42 year old man.
  • Options
    AgitpropAgitprop Posts: 12
    Always great to hear a new crisis show! Not directly related to COIE, but of possible interest to Crisis-heads: I noticed recently in previews a series called "Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse." It's apparently a tie-in for a "freemium" video game of the same name. The only review I could find of this was an IGN write-up that called the first issue "not terribly compelling." But it does feature Nix Uotan, the cover thumbnails in Previews have had some interesting character designs, and Dan Abnett is writing. Maybe something to watch for in the quarter bins?

Speaking of Crisis completism, Peter, I would love to hear your thoughts on Multiversity. Murd has several times hinted that his thoughts on the subject are forthcoming, but I sincerely hope that you will also be available to join the episode in the event that the show does an in-depth look at the series!
  • Options
    jmpenickjmpenick Posts: 10
    @Adam_Murdough & Peter - thanks for restarting this series - really enjoy it. Not a big poster here on the forums - but wanted to say thanks to both of you guys for a great review. Have read/re-read crisis several times and I always take something away from ya'lls review. Glad to hear Peter back as well.

Cheers!
  • Options
    I get to be a "Crisis Kid" just by listening to this podcast. I never had read the series and now I get to experience it with such background and knowledge, it really has transformed my reading. The quality and quantity of what Adam and Peter are giving is top-notch, really quite superb.

Thank you..
  • Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    Wow! Another great in depth episode. I must admit to dancing around my geek-room while pumping my fists in the air when I heard my name mentioned.

Not only did I get both Monitor G.I Combat appearances at LSCC but I got them for about £10, roughly $15!

@Adam_Murdough When you reference your thesis would you mention the page number so that those of us with a signed copy *smug face engaged* can play along at home?
  • Options
    Jamfeb said:

@Adam_Murdough When you reference your thesis would you mention the page number so that those of us with a signed copy *smug face engaged* can play along at home?

Sure, why not? Anything for the haggis-granter!

(Don't get too carried away with that smug-face, though--believe it or not, you're not the only one out there with a signed copy of my thesis in his possession! ;) )
  • Options

Jamfeb said:

(Don't get too carried away with that smug-face, though--believe it or not, you're not the only one out there with a signed copy of my thesis in his possession! ;) )
    @Adam_Murdough is there a waiting list for these variant signed editions? Amazon? EBay store? Where can a brother get a copy?
  • Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24

Jamfeb said:

And here's me thinking I was so original too! I hope theirs issn't as nicely bound as mine Is.
  • Options
    For those who can't get enough Crisis commentary: Check out Tales of the Justice Society podcast which is focusing on Crisis too.

http://twotruefreaks.com/shows.php?show=2
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
  • Options
    Loved the episode. Peter and Adam talking Crisis on Infinite Earths is podcast gold! These episodes will definitely go into my archive to listen to more than once. Much like the material that they are discussing, there is so much rich content in Peter and Adam's discussion that one can learn new things with each listen, in my view anyway.

Agree that some discussion by you two on Multiversity, which I think has been excellent, would be awesome, given your deep knowledge of the DC multiverse. In particular, I would enjoy an in-depth discussion of Pax Americana by Adam and Peter.

I also agree with one of the above posts that an in depth discussion of New Frontier would be much appreciated. I'm happy to get the podcast episodes that we get from Peter and Adam (and all of the CGS crew) because I'm sure it takes a good deal of time and we all live busy lives, but just making a suggestion.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to do a multi-part movie version of Crisis, much as was done with The Dark Knight Returns? I assume there have been discussions, but that it was considered too long or too complex and difficult to translate into another medium, but it would seem possible to get the essence of the story in a way that would be entertaining.
  • Options
    At some point in the episode, Adam seemed to apologize for reading more of his thesis. No need, Sir! Your readings from your M.A. thesis are one of the best aspects of the episodes. Please keep them coming! I've been meaning to read it, but just haven't gotten around to it, and when you read from it, I am newly motivated to do so. Thanks!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wha---?!? I had my mind blown when Peter and Murd talked about the Earth-2 Superman NOT being the Golden Age Superman. Did I hear that wrong? I always thought that he was! I always thought all the Earth-2 characters (like Starman, Dr. Fate, Dr. Midnight, Wonder Woman, helmeted Flash, etc.) were the Golden Age characters). If anyone sees this, please erase my confusion. Anyway, thanks for the 3 HOUR episode. I listened to it in stages while cleaning my room and grading papers.
  • Options
    alienal said:

Wha---?!? I had my mind blown when Peter and Murd talked about the Earth-2 Superman NOT being the Golden Age Superman. Did I hear that wrong? I always thought that he was! I always thought all the Earth-2 characters (like Starman, Dr. Fate, Dr. Midnight, Wonder Woman, helmeted Flash, etc.) were the Golden Age characters). If anyone sees this, please erase my confusion.

The reasoning here is that the concept of Earth-2 (or Earth-Two if you prefer) didn't exist back in the 1940s DC Comics, or in the mind of the creators of All-Star Comics or any of the other titles in publication at that time. The Superman of the 1930s and 1940s was simply "Superman". The whole idea of the JSA being on a separate Earth than titles being published in the late 50s/early 60s wasn't part of the DC mythos or cosmology until after the famous "Flash of Two Worlds" story from 1961. Then, after the JSA started actively adventuring again through the JLA/JSA team-ups and various appearances in other titles, thought was eventually given to the question of how to handle the fact that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were members of both the Justice Society and Justice League. Unlike the Golden Age Flash, Green Lantern, or Atom, the Silver Age Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman had exactly the same identities as the Golden Age versions. Therefore, the choice was either remove them from one of the teams, or come up with a reason why they're on both teams. Thus was born the Silver Age invention of the Golden Age versions of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman who had many or all of the 1940s adventures and had aged appropriately (for comic book time) for heroes that were around for decades.
  • Options
    DMHaight said:

alienal said:

Wha---?!? I had my mind blown when Peter and Murd talked about the Earth-2 Superman NOT being the Golden Age Superman. Did I hear that wrong? I always thought that he was! I always thought all the Earth-2 characters (like Starman, Dr. Fate, Dr. Midnight, Wonder Woman, helmeted Flash, etc.) were the Golden Age characters). If anyone sees this, please erase my confusion.

The reasoning here is that the concept of Earth-2 (or Earth-Two if you prefer) didn't exist back in the 1940s DC Comics, or in the mind of the creators of All-Star Comics or any of the other titles in publication at that time. The Superman of the 1930s and 1940s was simply "Superman". The whole idea of the JSA being on a separate Earth than titles being published in the late 50s/early 60s wasn't part of the DC mythos or cosmology until after the famous "Flash of Two Worlds" story from 1961. Then, after the JSA started actively adventuring again through the JLA/JSA team-ups and various appearances in other titles, thought was eventually given to the question of how to handle the fact that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were members of both the Justice Society and Justice League. Unlike the Golden Age Flash, Green Lantern, or Atom, the Silver Age Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman had exactly the same identities as the Golden Age versions. Therefore, the choice was either remove them from one of the teams, or come up with a reason why they're on both teams. Thus was born the Silver Age invention of the Golden Age versions of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman who had many or all of the 1940s adventures and had aged appropriately (for comic book time) for heroes that were around for decades.
    Nice explanation of a convoluted concept.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    DMHaight said:

alienal said:

Thanks, @DMHaight ! Actually, I'm still confused but your reply cleared away most of it. At least, the reasoning is sound, but my mind is still blown. Heh-heh...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    FYI: Another crisis-related podcast:

I'd love to hear a crossover with Adam & Peter and Rob & Shag
  • Options
    Ok, at the risk of sounding negative, I have to ask... what is up with that noise we hear every couple of minutes in the Crisis Tapes episodes? It occurs every minute or so in both episodes 12 and 13 (was going to post in the episode 13 thread but it hasn't been posted yet). It sounds to me like someone is either gnawing on a carrot directly into the microphone or banging a toothbrush (or maybe a pen) up against their teeth?

I do enjoy these episodes very much, but this unpleasant noise really takes me out of it (the noise just seems so visceral and literally makes me cringe). Hope you'll consider this in future episodes.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    edited May 2015
    I think I've noticed that before, not necessarily that frequently. I attributed it to Murd or Rios eating their dinner during the recording. But good to let them know.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I think I've noticed that before, not necessarily that frequently. I attributed it to Murd or Rios eating their dinner during the recording. But good to let them know.

I just thought it was the sound of Anti-Matter coming...