Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Daredevil Episode 12 Spoiler Discussion "The Ones We Leave Behind"

I thought I would start a side discussion about Ben Urich being killed by the Kingpin in ep 12. I figured this would garner a major discussion that someone still watching would be majorly spoiled. So we can discuss this development openly and just this ep. People can talk about their thoughts of Ben and were you as shock dad I was. It can be amalgamated later.

I really didn't see that coming. Not at all. I thought he would be around for some of the other series and reporting on the Marvels. He seemed to be doing that with the newspapers in his office. I felt so bad for his wife. I thought the elderly lady in the apt would be their closest casualty but evidently not.

I think Vondie Curtis Hall did a great job. I had hoped he could have done more. Kingpin had done so much foul stuff I didn't think they needed to do this but I guess they wanted to raise the stakes.

Comments

• Shocked me too.. When the camera came into focus on Fisk behind Ben, I said out loud, "oh no.... Crap.." Visually, it was scary cuz it wasn't a quick cut to the bad guy behind the person.. It slowly comes into focus like a predator sowly getting ready to pounce on their prey..

Curious if Karen's 2 secrets, not to mention her past, will come back to haunt her..
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I, too, am very surprised they killed off Urich.

I guess the age of the newspaper really is over.

:((
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Surprised because he's a classic and integral character to daredevil and his history. Plus such a potentially useful character to the show and the mcu going forward. I was disappointed because I like the character and what he brings plus really liked this actor and his performance. Wasn't surprised it happened though. Seemed pretty predestined within the story. I think he had more to offer than just a death.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    WetRats said:

I, too, am very surprised they killed off Urich.

I guess the age of the newspaper really is over.

:((

Damn. That was deep. Good one.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    I'm surprised they killed off Ben in the first series. I thought they would go with the scene from Born Again with Urich on the phone hearing his sick wife threatened.
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782
    After Karen's surprise shooting, I was ready for anything. When Ben was going to his car in the rain I thought it was going to explode. When Ben got to his apartment I thought a hitman would be there. Once he entered and sat down, I relaxed and, like @Caliban, i thought Ben would get a phone call threatening his wife. I was shocked that Fisk was the assassin!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I just watched this episode and was shocked as well. I figured he'd be an ongoing supporting character in the other series.
  • Guess we'll never see him behind a desk at the Daily Bugle now :(
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Guess we'll never see him behind a desk at the Daily Bugle now :(

Nah, we'll see his nephew, Phil, hanging around!
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    edited April 2015
    popestu said:

I was shocked that Fisk was the assassin!

THAT!

The other thread is probably a better place for this rant, but...

I have been digging Netflix Daredevil (only have the final episode left to watch), however the portrayal of "The Kingpin" has been driving me crazy. I feel it is COMPLETELY wrong. I was excited when Vincent D'Onofrio was cast as Wilson Fisk. I felt that he would be the superior actor and steal every scene. That couldn't be further from the reality.

This series' portrayal of Wilson Fisk baffles me. He isn't terrifying at all. In EVERY scene he looks like a bewildered child who has just woken from a long nap and can't comprehend how he has been placed into his position of power. He appears as if he is constantly on the verge of tears. Fisk walks through the storyline like an overgrown man-child who doesn't understand the complexity of his Empire. The only time we are shown his "dark side" is when the big, bald baby throws a spontaneous temper tantrum (that doesn't make him a gangland Don, it makes him a Spaz). There is no planning, or calculation (Wesley took care of the details, if anything, he was the Kingpin), only daddy issues and apron strings. This Netflix version of Fisk can't execute a plan, he can barely spit out his dialogue in one cohesive sentence, sounding like he needs assistance from a respirator. I found him much preferable as the enigmatic "Employer", who operated from the shadows.

Vincent D'Onofrio isn't the Kingpin, he is Lex Luthor's dim-witted baby brother. The comic book version of The Kingpin would eat Netflix Wilson Fisk for breakfast... and have a satisfying grin while he took his time doing it.
  • Hex said:

popestu said:

THAT!

I have been digging Netflix Daredevil (only have the final episode left to watch), however the portrayal of "The Kingpin" has been driving me crazy. I feel it is COMPLETELY wrong. I was excited when Vincent D'Onofrio was cast as Wilson Fisk. I felt that he would be the superior actor and steal every scene. That couldn't be further from the reality.

This series' portrayal of Wilson Fisk baffles me. He isn't terrifying at all. In EVERY scene he looks like a bewildered child who has just woken from a long nap and can't comprehend how he has been placed into his position of power. He appears as if he is constantly on the verge of tears. Fisk walks through the storyline like an overgrown man-child who doesn't understand the complexity of his Empire. The only time we are shown his "dark side" is when the big, bald baby throws a spontaneous temper tantrum (that doesn't make him a gangland Don, it makes him a Spaz). There is no planning, or calculation (Wesley took care of the details, if anything, he was the Kingpin), only daddy issues and apron strings. This Netflix version of Fisk can't execute a plan, he can barely spit out his dialogue in one cohesive sentence, sounding like he needs assistance from a respirator. I found him much preferable as the enigmatic "Employer", who operated from the shadows.

Vincent D'Onofrio isn't the Kingpin, he is Lex Luthor's dim-witted baby brother. The comic book version of The Kingpin would eat Netflix Wilson Fisk for breakfast... and have a satisfying grin while he took his time doing it.
    It's the origin of the Kingpin. Wilson Fisk is not the Kingpin in this story until he has that realization in the prison transport that he is the bad guy here. Before that he thought of himself as a good man with good intentions who saw that the only way to get things done was to get your hands dirty. That Wilson Fisk died in the alleyway with daredevil. I think that when he comes back we'll see a very different,more kingpin-y Fisk.
    edited April 2015

Hex said:

popestu said:

THAT!

It's the origin of the Kingpin. Wilson Fisk is not the Kingpin in this story until he has that realization in the prison transport that he is the bad guy here. Before that he thought of himself as a good man with good intentions who saw that the only way to get things done was to get your hands dirty. That Wilson Fisk died in the alleyway with daredevil. I think that when he comes back we'll see a very different,more kingpin-y Fisk.
    I get that this story arc is just as much about the rise of the Kingpin as Daredevil, it is just that the show doesn't do anything to develop Fisk's menace (aside from the fact that he is loose canon that could flip out at any moment). I don't fear this version of Fisk, I feel sorry for him. I would NEVER feel sorry for Kingpin in the comics (and if I did, he would probably kill me).

You don't get to be the shadowy puppet master, orchestrating a gangland empire with four or five merciless lieutenants of various factions doing your bidding, without thinking you are above the law (which you have also bought). I don't think the comic book version of the Kingpin considers himself the "bad guy", just overly ambitious and not willing to let anything stand in his way. D'Onofrio's character doesn't look ambitious, just constantly confused as to why people are asking him for direction, as if he never intended to be in the position. There is NONE of the Kingpin's smug confidence, none of his cold calculation, none of the enjoyment of building his empire.
    Hex said:

popestu said:

THAT!

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you!

I was starting to feel like I was the only one who had the same reaction.
    Hex said:

You don't get to be the shadowy puppet master, orchestrating a gangland empire with four or five merciless lieutenants of various factions doing your bidding, without thinking you are above the law (which you have also bought). I don't think the comic book version of the Kingpin considers himself the "bad guy", just overly ambitious and not willing to let anything stand in his way. D'Onofrio's character doesn't look ambitious, just constantly confused as to why people are asking him for direction, as if he never intended to be in the position. There is NONE of the Kingpin's smug confidence, none of his cold calculation, none of the enjoyment of building his empire.

Amen!
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Hex said:

popestu said:

THAT!

I concur. This was the first criticism I've read for the interpretation of Fisk. Although I felt his endgame was very muddied, I took this version as just a Kingpin starting out. Was he exactly like what I've seen in the past? No, but I can see it there.

M
    edited April 2015

Hex said:

popestu said:

THAT!

This series' portrayal of Wilson Fisk baffles me. He isn't terrifying at all. In EVERY scene he looks like a bewildered child who has just woken from a long nap and can't comprehend how he has been placed into his position of power. He appears as if he is constantly on the verge of tears. Fisk walks through the storyline like an overgrown man-child who doesn't understand the complexity of his Empire. The only time we are shown his "dark side" is when the big, bald baby throws a spontaneous temper tantrum (that doesn't make him a gangland Don, it makes him a Spaz). There is no planning, or calculation (Wesley took care of the
    , if anything, he was the Kingpin), only daddy issues and apron strings. This Netflix version of Fisk can't execute a plan, he can barely spit out his dialogue in one cohesive sentence, sounding like he needs assistance from a respirator. I found him much preferable as the enigmatic "Employer", who operated from the shadows.
    I agree with both of these points (I think I made a comment somewhere about this).
    I feel he had ambition (although I wonder how he rose so high) but is so unsure of himself. After Vanessa comes along, he focuses. He goes public and his partners see him as a threat to what they are building. We see that he has some plan because they do the ol "whisper my plan in your ear cliche" before he is arrested. (Maybe Vanessa will run things until he gets out or she is instructed to do something specific to get him out) . While in custody he verbalizes that he is the bad guy. He already knew this, but saying it out loud makes it more real (and dramatic for the audiance). His final scene is staring at the wall deciding what man he wants to be.
    His character arc was not done well. He came into his own too late in he season. Having him realize that his downfall was because of own doing and growing from this is a better origin story. Matt is his nemesis because he will be the only one to ever truely defeat him. Many good elements and ideas were not used to their strengths.
    That being said, I enjoyed Fisk overall.

One last thing, his reliance on someone else to take care of all the details came back to bite him. This may force him to take charge of his organization and machinations.
    edited April 2015
    Matt said:

This was the first criticism I've read for the interpretation of Fisk.

Missed mine, eh?

From April 11:
    Still enjoying it, although I continue to not be a fan of D'Onofrio. He's so busy being "soulful" that I can't see any inner strength to his character. The explosion of brutality seemed more like a petty expression of impotence than an act of power. So far, I find him the first weak point in the series.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

This was the first criticism I've read for the interpretation of Fisk.

Missed mine, eh?

From April 11:
    Still enjoying it, although I continue to not be a fan of D'Onofrio. He's so busy being "soulful" that I can't see any inner strength to his character. The explosion of brutality seemed more like a petty expression of impotence than an act of power. So far, I find him the first weak point in the series.
    It lacked the passion of a full on opus!

I probably just missed it. I mostly navigate the forums when I'm driving around for work. I sometimes overlook posts.

M
    Matt said:

Fair enough.

@Hex definitely out-opused me.

Mine was more of a miffed minuet.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Fair enough.

Yeah, I might have gone a little overboard.
    But couldn't help it... every time D'Onofrio was on screen I wanted to slap him and scream "You're THE Kingpin damn-it, act like it!"
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Fair enough.

But couldn't help it... every time D'Onofrio was on screen I wanted to slap him and scream "You're THE Kingpin damn-it, act like it!"
    Not overboard at all.

You were spot-on.

The only thing I disagree with is your optimism for D'Onofrio's performance. This was exactly the kind of transparent over-emoting I feared we'd see from him. It's his signature move. I'd love to play poker with him.
    WetRats said:

Hex said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Fair enough.

Not overboard at all.

You were spot-on.

The only thing I disagree with is your optimism for D'Onofrio's performance. This was exactly the kind of transparent over-emoting I feared we'd see from him. It's his signature move. I'd love to play poker with him.
    Ha! I was sure D'Onofrio was going to add oodles of credibility to the show. I was convinced he would be heads above the rest of the cast in the acting department.
    However, after the opening scene in episode one with Charlie Cox in the confessional, the bar was set pretty high. What an opener!
  • hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    edited June 2015
    I like the D'onofrio performance. As some have said, I think of it as the Kingpin's origin (like with the "Daredevil" name, "Kingpin" has not been referred to in the 12 episodes I've watched, so I don't think he's quite the Kingpin just yet.)

I think it is a very three dimensional portrayal of Fisk with some surprises that we haven't seen before- but they remain plausible based on what we know. To me he certainly will have all the capacity to grow into the supremely evil, manipulative monster that we know him to be from the comics.

And I miss Ben Urich already. Felt like a misstep to me- but I may change that opinion after I see episode 13. I'm willing to accept that there may be a very good reason storywise to have done him in.
    I think they were not sure there would be a season 2. Also, Ben's son can step up and fill his role.