Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hero Pulps and films

There is no denying the very large influence the Pulps had on comics. I myself am a big fan and have read many, many, many titles beginning with Doc Savage (read all 181 novels plus all the "newer" novels from Will Murray) in the very early 70's. So many crazy stories, driven characters, violence and...did I mention crazy stories? The Shadow, G8 and his battle aces, Operator 5 (especially the purple invasion storyline), the Avenger, Black Bat, Secret Agent X, Phantom Detective, on and on and maybe the most intense of all....The Spider. Of course the big names like Tarzan, are all very well known BUT there have been very few attempts to ever adapt the more "super heroic" characters to the big screen. The attempts that HAVE been made with these characters have all been disappointing and I am wondering in today's red hot climate of Super Hero CB movies if now is the time. Or is it too late? Has the time passed them by? I myself feel that with a great, well constructed and imaginative script. A talented director and especially excellent casting it could be done. I have seen some pretty good adaptations of late from Dynamite comics (hit or miss but some pretty good ones mixed in there) and really with this "shared universe" mania sweeping the landscape could the same thing be done with these characters? A world where Doc, The Shadow, The Spider, Avenger etc could co exist? Or an even earlier WW 1 tale of G8 battling another of the insane inventions of Herr Doktor Krueger? Yes, yes I am aware of the recent Shane Black attempts to get Doc Savage off the ground but the handling of IM3 inspires me with little confidence Doc would be in good hands there. What do you all think?

Comments