Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Doing my first bindings

Couple of questions for those with more experience:

1. Do you remove ads and back covers?
2. Do you have some cut-off in which you wouldn't bind? Meaning, you wouldn't bind Action Comics #1 if you had it but wouldn't think twice about binding that cross-over event from a few years ago. I have an almost-complete run of Silver Surfer Volume 3 (80s/90s) which isn't worth much on its own and I'd be more likely to re-read it if bound... thinking I probably should bind it.

Comments

• popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Question...aren't ads usually one-sided? How do you remove them?

Keep in mind, I've never bonded but am this close to taking the plunge.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    You don't remove the one-sided ads. But there are usually a few pages in the back of the book that are ads for other books the publisher is putting out. At least when I did a Dynamite book there were like 4 per issue. Plus the back cover. You just rip it off slowly, it's easy. I found it better to start with the most back page first.

I've taken the plunge! Hope you do too.
    Who are you doing it through?
    mphil said:

You don't remove the one-sided ads. But there are usually a few pages in the back of the book that are ads for other books the publisher is putting out. At least when I did a Dynamite book there were like 4 per issue. Plus the back cover. You just rip it off slowly, it's easy. I found it better to start with the most back page first.

I've taken the plunge! Hope you do too.

Yes. Image often has several pages of ads in the back.
    Reading my question now makes me feel rather silly.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Nah, it's not. I've seen some people online who black-out the one sided ad pages, but personally I think that just makes it look worse.

I'm using Herring & Robinson, have only heard good things about them. http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/
    Nice. They are on the top of my list. I want to check with a local book binder before moving ahead, but Herring n Robinson seem to be the preceded choice.