Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Secret Wars Minis and Tie-Ins (potential spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Crap. I passed on Runaways #1.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Where Monsters Dwell
    Master of Kung Fu
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Well, Squadron Sinister has managed to eliminate the one point of interest I had in the entire event. Pretty much knew by the false advertising on Secret Wars 0 that they were once again setting me up for disappointment. The series is definitely not an entry point for new readers or for readers that have been away from Marvel for any length of time. I'm out.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Well, Squadron Sinister has managed to eliminate the one point of interest I had in the entire event. Pretty much knew by the false advertising on Secret Wars 0 that they were once again setting me up for disappointment. The series is definitely not an entry point for new readers or for readers that have been away from Marvel for any length of time. I'm out.

I disagree.

II haven't read any Marvel consistently for years and especially the lead up to Secret Wars. I have jumped in on most of the main series and the tie-ins and are just enjoying the ride.. I don't mind not knowing everything, feels like when I started reading comics. Which was way back when Spidey and Storm were getting accosted by some villain who was trying to get them to smoke.. You go with the flow and figure it out on the way
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2015

I wish there was a part of Battleworld ruled by all the public service characters.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Yup, I remember that comic. Pretty sure it was handed out in my elementary school.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

I disagree.

II haven't read any Marvel consistently for years and especially the lead up to Secret Wars. I have jumped in on most of the main series and the tie-ins and are just enjoying the ride.. I don't mind not knowing everything, feels like when I started reading comics. Which was way back when Spidey and Storm were getting accosted by some villain who was trying to get them to smoke.. You go with the flow and figure it out on the way
    I got started in a similar fashion and have often times made a similar point - no need to spoon-feed new readers. That said, with few exceptions, I'm not sure that plots were as complex and, in many cases, the characters were more sympathetic. As much as I loved the Marvel Universe then, at best, I'm apathetic about it now and more often come away with a bad taste in my mouth. Incorporating the Shadowline Saga characters into the event left me with a level of enthusiasm for the event and maybe even adding some Marvel titles after the fact. The way that's played out, however, has left me realizing that Tom Wolfe was right.

Ultimately, I'm left rooting for the universe-ending event to be successful.

I've contemplated doing the Marvel Digital thing for a while now, but if I do, I suspect that it will only be for the back catalog. I'm having a hard time mustering the enthusiasm even to do that now.

• Options
    David_D said:

I wish there was a part of Battleworld ruled by all the public service characters.

That's it! Awww man.. I still remember that... Wow.....

• Options
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

I disagree.

I got started in a similar fashion and have often times made a similar point - no need to spoon-feed new readers. That said, with few exceptions, I'm not sure that plots were as complex and, in many cases, the characters were more sympathetic. As much as I loved the Marvel Universe then, at best, I'm apathetic about it now and more often come away with a bad taste in my mouth. Incorporating the Shadowline Saga characters into the event left me with a level of enthusiasm for the event and maybe even adding some Marvel titles after the fact. The way that's played out, however, has left me realizing that Tom Wolfe was right.

Ultimately, I'm left rooting for the universe-ending event to be successful.

I've contemplated doing the Marvel Digital thing for a while now, but if I do, I suspect that it will only be for the back catalog. I'm having a hard time mustering the enthusiasm even to do that now.

I can understand.. It is hard to recapture the rush we had when we first started reading...
  • Options
    David_D said:

Secret Wars issue 8 can hold many surprises. Your wish may still come true.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    David_D said:

Ha! I actually have that book! I picked it up in a 25-cent box at a con a few years ago!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    hauberk said:

It had some delightful easter-eggs

In this wide-angle view of the Squadron’s trophy room you can see relics they've collected in their battles. Check out the near-exact replicas of Hawkman’s helmet, Green Arrow’s bow and quiver, Green Lantern’s lantern, Batman’s utility belt, Dr. Fate’s cloak, Aquaman’s trident, Wonder Woman’s lasso and bracelets, and so on. Old JLA fans probably rejoiced.

I know it doesn't "count" after Secret Wars, but it seems fun. Even the cover was an homage to those old DC covers with the floating heads on each side.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Finally got around to reading Weirdworld #1..now that was an entertaining comic! Best tie-in to SW that I've read so far.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

hauberk said:

It had some delightful easter-eggs

In this wide-angle view of the Squadron’s trophy room you can see relics they've collected in their battles. Check out the near-exact replicas of Hawkman’s helmet, Green Arrow’s bow and quiver, Green Lantern’s lantern, Batman’s utility belt, Dr. Fate’s cloak, Aquaman’s trident, Wonder Woman’s lasso and bracelets, and so on. Old JLA fans probably rejoiced.

I know it doesn't "count" after Secret Wars, but it seems fun. Even the cover was an homage to those old DC covers with the floating heads on each side.
    Squadron Sinister was stellar. Best of the cross-overs that I have read (although I haven't picked up much to date). Great to see Carlos Pacheco revisiting his art style that originally drew me to his work (I haven't been a fan of the more "realistic" style that he has been utilizing lately). Loved the inclusion of the New Universe characters from "Nutopia". Nice homage to Mark Gruenwald. Issue 2 can't arrive soon enough.

This has me pumped for Marvel's upcoming Squadron Supreme book.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Issue #4 was great. Last page actually draw a "what the f***?" from me!

Loving it!
  • Options
    When is Secret Wars suppose to end? I've heard October and December.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Issue #4 was great. Last page actually draw a "what the f***?" from me!

Loving it!

Same.

• Options
    Renew your vows
    Weirdworld
    Where monsters dwell
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Anyone know whether the #CGSGeeks will be doing an episode on the Secret Wars series proper or the tie-ins similar to their two-part Convergence episodes?

I think there are talks for a "round up" ep or two.

M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I've been getting Battleworld, Infinity Gauntlet, & 2099...and regretting it. I'm sucked in because they're multiple issues, but all are not what I expected & I'm finding all a waste of time and money.

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I really like what Marvel is doing with these mini series. If you are going to have this many books out I am glad they are not forcing everyone to stick to trying to advance the main book or feel the need to react to the main series. They have allowed themselves to tell stories they do not normally tell in back drop of a rich world.

Infinity Gauntlet is a post apocalyptic survivor story.

Where Monsters Dwell is an Indiana Jones story with Dinosaurs.

Thors takes the time to tell a murder mystery.

Inhumans and Squadron Sinister are two different takes on political game of chess within the various territories Doom has carved up.
  • Options
    Some more evidence that The Wall is actually Ben Grimm. In Siege #1 from last week, a group of defenders at The Wall need help in fending off an attack by giant ants and they summon Grimm to help. The attached screen cap appears to show him materializing from the wall itself. Not sure what this woman's instructions to him mean, but a fair interpretation would be that Grimm is able to control The Wall ...

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Man, Ben's underpants REALLY look like underpants in that image... is that a swipe at the movie version NOT wearing pants - even skivvies?
  • Options
    MarcusQMarcusQ Posts: 8
    Ok so far I've picked up a few of the comics that have come out. My Favourite ones so far are:

Weirdworld -Talk about a beautiful book, i'm loving this so much, I am really enjoying this version of Arkon and loving the world he's in.

Old Man Logan - Feels like a decent continuation of the original series.

Planet Hulk - A great mad max/gladiator mash up. I was dubious at first as I really enjoyed the original Planet Hulk story.

The books I've not enjoyed:

Modok assassin - Not for me at all. It felt like they were trying to make Modok similar to Deadpool. :neutral:

Years of Future Past - Again not for me. Feels like (i'm sorry to say this) a cheap 90s imiation. I'm sure thats not what the creative team were after and I mean no offence, it's just not a book for me.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Is there a weirder Big Two event tie-in than Where Monsters Dwell? Obviously, it likely started as a script that had nothing to do with Secret Wars, but there is a perverse pleasure in it being published as part of Marvel's universe shaking event. Also, it has being a great Garth Ennis comedy going for it too.

The reveal of the nature of Mondo City in Captain Britain & The Defenders was a hilarious surprise for this old British comics fan.

Hail Hydra was curious in the way it had another survivor of the 616 Universe who had got to Battleworld via other means. Shame this is probably Remender's Marvel swansong for now.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Brack said:

Is there a weirder Big Two event tie-in than Where Monsters Dwell? Obviously, it likely started as a script that had nothing to do with Secret Wars, but there is a perverse pleasure in it being published as part of Marvel's universe shaking event. Also, it has being a great Garth Ennis comedy going for it too.

That's my favourite of Secret Wars mini's. Loving it. Really funny read too.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Brack said:

As with the All Star Section 8 mini at DC, I feel like some editors who wanted to work with Ennis (and McCrea; or Braun) saw these universe transition times as an opportunity to basically let them do whatever they wanted to. With the 'anything goes!' feeling of this liminal period giving them cover to do so without any important pretend things getting broken. I wish stuff like that happened more often.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Weirdworld continues to be wonderfully bonkers. And Del Mundo's art is beautiful, and I love that it doesn't look like any other book Marvel is publishing right now.

Like the best of the Secret Wars minis I am reading, it seems unconcerned with hitching itself to some little detail of the main SW story, and rather is taking the opportunity of the Battleworld setting to grab some old Marvel fantasy and barbarian characters and have a lot of fun with them.

--MINOR SPOILERS BELOW--

Gun Ogres?
    A deranged Warbow, last survivor of the Crystal Warriors, carrying the pieces of Crystar in a bag?
    The Forrest of the Man-Things?

What's not to love?