Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1562 Talkback - Previews

Previews time! After some initial discussion on our pull lists, we go through the June catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in August and go on a few tangents along the way.

Listen and/or watch here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Re: the Kirby/Steranko art in SHIELD, judging by one of the pieces attached to the solicit, the “sequence” (Marvel’s exact wording) will be the two pages Kirby penciled as presentation art for the then-upcoming SHIELD title (it was still running in Strange Tales at the time). Steranko inked those two pages as his try-out for Marvel. Those two pages were never used in the book, though Marvel did print them in the back of the second Nick Fury Marvel Masterworks volume.

So, yeah, two pages: one splash page, one story page.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    The good, the bad, and the ugly of Episode 1562: The good? Diving deeply into the back of Previews to comment on lots of memorabilia! The bad? "Off The Racks" is on hiatus?! And the ugly? My reflection in the monitor while I watch the episode on Youtube!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    What was the brief theme at the end of the episode? A tribute to Morocco Mole? LOL

Great fun on this episode. Had to change my order to add the Shadow #1, how can anyone pass up a FREEBIE like that?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

What was the brief theme at the end of the episode?

Imagine it's the mid 1990's and you're sitting on your couch on a Thursday night at 8:30pm Eastern/7:30pm Central.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'm looking forward to this episode as I was looking through my Previews and didn't see much I was interested in from Marvel and DC. I get several Image and indie titles, but I think it will be a light month.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Is... is Adam in the bathroom? Haha.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2015
    I'm so slow. It took me a while to figure out why they were showing a Kirby Krackle POP!...
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    I asked the same thing of Murd when we logged on. He is not in a bathroom. There is a just a sink in the room he was in.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    RepoMan said:

Is... is Adam in the bathroom? Haha.

LOL! I thought the same thing! I was afraid that Murd has "issues" during the two-hour podcast!! LOL! I'm glad that you're healthy, Adam!
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Yay! Pull list updates :) I think I was one of the folks asking for an update. I always enjoy hearing what you guys are staying with, as I frequently add/remove items.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Wow, @Pants was especially exuberant in this one. I'm reminded of the words of Chris Knight (Val Kilmer's character in Real Genius): "But - and I am only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing."

Also, The Single Guy was indeed a good show, at least for that first season. In the second season they replaced the woman who was Susan's wife on Friends and her husband with Olivia D'Abo and (ugh) Dan Cortese, and tried to give Jonathan Silverman's character a real job because 'Murricans couldn't relate to him being an author, I guess (sort of like the second season of Bob Newhart's mid-90s show Bob when they took out all the comic book industry stuff).

As for actual comics ( :D ), I've been waiting for Marvel to bring the Alias series back in print in anticipation of the Jessica Jones show and was all set to pre-order those, but they got backburnered thanks to those Wally Wood, Jack Davis, and Will Elder Mad collections, especially since you can get all 3 in a slipcase for a little over $20 through DCBS. Much too hard to pass that up.

Thanks for calling attention to that free Shadow book... hard to pass up at that price. ;) And I don't know if it'll stay, but I've added that Ultraman book from Viz Media, too. Ultraman has a long legacy in Japan (and yes, it's a "guys in suits" show... several decades' worth of iterations, in fact) that I know very little of, but it's a giant space guy fighting equally giant monsters and that's always gonna get a look from me.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Also, Ming-Na Wen is even lovelier now than she was back then. Like a fine wine, that one. :x
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited June 2015
    I really enjoyed the first Get Jiro book; so I'm all in on this.

I love the Crogan series, chris you should try one these books. They are one of the best all ages books available.

The Shaolin Cowboy Shemp Buffet is a revised collection of the most recent Shaolin Cowboy mini. From the reviews I've seen it reads a lot easier than the mini. If you like Geof Darrow you should really try this out.

Also Mike Nortons Battlepug volume 4 is now available to preorder.

Skullkickers Treasure Trove vol 3 - the concluding Treasure Trove edition to Jim Zub's amazing series. This has become on of my favorite series of the last few years.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Re: "Airboy"

Holy crap. That was NOT what I was expecting! LOL!
  • Options
    About the American Comic Book Chronicles, is this a new edition or the same as the one listed on Amazon (amzn.to/1NhsXyX)?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

About the American Comic Book Chronicles, is this a new edition or the same as the one listed on Amazon (amzn.to/1NhsXyX)?

It's just a resolicitation of the book, not a new edition.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2015
    Cheapest month in years! Less than $45...that's including shipping.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks a lot for the episode, guys! I haven't done my order yet and I got a "warning" from DCBS telling me that I should order soon. So, your episode was quite helpful. I'm also thinking that the lack of Off-The-Racks picks will lower my costs this month. :D We'll see...
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Cheapest month in years! Less than $45...that's including shipping.

I am right behind you at $48 or so. This is easily $20-30 less than the norm. I would have bitten on the Sal Buscema if the issues were continuous, but as they were his favorites pulled together, it just didn't have the same amount of pull for me. Otherwise, a rather pedestrian month (which has been a trend as of late).
  • Options
    $120+ $-) :-??
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

$120+ $-) :-??

So, is that higher, lower, or on par with the past few months? :)

• Options
    Slightly higher. I usually like to keep it around $100.