Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Deadpool Movie News

2»

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited January 2016
    Matt said:

Being rated R means this isn't motivated for merchandising & kids.

Rated R is going to be a sticking point for me. I like Deadpool (although not as much as I used to), I enjoyed the trailers, and I think Ryan Renolds has been committed to this flick since long before the green light. Besides, the dude is Canadian, and it was filmed here in Vancouver, so that's two checkmarks right there.

Unfortunately... my kids know who Deadpool is. They have read some of Wade Wilson's appearances in the comics, and they thought "The Merc with a Mouth" was HILARIOUS on the Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon. They know (somehow?) that there is a Deadpool movie coming out soon. Obviously, there is no way in Hell that they are seeing that movie. I'm gonna watch it (and hopefully like it), but it is going to be tough to explain why they can't see it and why Deadpool would make a movie that kids can't watch.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Hex said:

Matt said:

Rated R is going to be a sticking point for me. I like Deadpool (although not as much as I used to), I enjoyed the trailers, and I think Ryan Renolds has been committed to this flick since long before the green light. Besides, the dude is Canadian, and it was filmed here in Vancouver, so that's two checkmarks right there.

Unfortunately... my kids know who Deadpool is. They have read some appearances in the comics by Wade Wilson, and they thought "The Merc with a Mouth" was HILARIOUS on the Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon. They know (somehow?) that there is a Deadpool movie coming out soon. Obviously, there is no way in Hell that they are seeing that movie. I'm gonna watch it (and hopefully like it), but it is going to be tough to explain why they can't see it and why Deadpool would make a movie that kids can't watch.
    I also find it interesting that a ton of kids know who Deadpool is, and like him. When I worked at the afterschool, there were a few kids who I talked to who loved Deadpool, and occasionally wore DP shirts. And were excited to hear there was going to be a movie.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I think the rating is a tightrope. If you aren't going merchandise heavy, it makes sense to be R. Chances are the adult fans might go multiple times because the movie is more adult oriented.

On the other hand, not all the fans are 17 or older. Presumably, they'll sell more tickets by opening the floodgates for the audience. It sounded as though they were really pushing for an R rating.

Since the only superheroes my 2yr old daughter is interested in are the PJ Masks, I don't have an issue with the rating. In fact, I've been more hesitant about seeing movies like Expendables 3 in the theatre due to its PG-13* rating knowing the Blu-Ray will be unrated.

Some movies will never be $1 billion box office. Don't water it down to even try. It'll turn away the fanbase whose really interested.

M

* Stallone already stated that was a mistake & E4 will be R.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

Second, Ryan Reynolds is the lead. Seems like a likeable guy, but who's the last actor to be given so many lead roles without a hit. He's had a couple of rom-coms that have been modest successes, but he's also had outright bombs (one of which was obviously a super-hero movie) and no defining hit.

That being said, he does seem like a natural match for the character. So maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

This has always been a source of fascination and curiosity for me too. Don't get me wrong, personally I really like Reynolds. Even though he has pretty limited range, he's just damn attractive, charming and funny. Still, know what we know or think we know about Hollywoods inner workings, it's quite perplexing how Reynolds still has a career. Or at least how he's still given high profile starring gigs? Outside of a couple "cult classic comedy's" and a couple merely mediocre successful "rom-coms", everything he's done has for all intents and purposes "flopped" by most comparisons. I can't think of any other actor that has such an active career with a similar track record.
  • Options
    Travis said:

The good thing about Deadpool comics that tends to get overlooked is that writers often get longer runs on the character than you normally find these days. To the point where what is considered the classic run (Joe Kelly's) is actually one of the shorter runs. The key voices of the character are:

Joe Kelly - Deadpool (1997) 1-33, plus various spin-offs, specials
    Fabian Nicieza - Cable & Deadpool (2004) 1-50, plus the two original 90s Deadpool mini-series
    Daniel Way - Deadpool (2008) 1-63
    Gerry Duggan (w. Brian Posehn) (2013) 1-45, plus various spin-offs, and he's back on Deadpool post-Secret Wars.

The only one I'm not keen on is Way's, but it definitely has its fans, as born out by its 63 issues. My favourite is Cable & Deadpool, but you might as well dip into Duggan's as he looks to be continuing as Deadpool's voice in comics as he's both writing him in Deadpool and Uncanny Avengers after Secret Wars.
    I was wondering about others opinion on which Deadpool comics to start with. I have a Barnes and Noble gift card from Christmas and with their buy 2 get the 3rd free sale going on I was thinking of getting some Deadpool trades. I can get either Daniel Way Vol 1-3 or Duggan and Posehn trades Vol 1-6 for about the same cost, around $25-30 dollars.

What would people recommend Way or Duggan? Thanks

If you have not read Kelly than that's the place to start . Way's run is Way's best stuff but if you have to pick currently i'd say Duggan as it plays more into current marvel as a whole. the cullen bunn ongoing minis of Deadpool vs is a good read to
  • Options
    I'm thinking the anticipation and people's expectations for this movie might be a bit high.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    batlaw said:

I'm thinking the anticipation and people's expectations for this movie might be a bit high.

I don't know. The crowd was absolutely electric and seemed to dig the movie at our NY screening.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Matt said:

Unfortunately... my kids know who Deadpool is. They have read some of Wade Wilson's appearances in the comics, and they thought "The Merc with a Mouth" was HILARIOUS on the Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon. They know (somehow?) that there is a Deadpool movie coming out soon. Obviously, there is no way in Hell that they are seeing that movie. I'm gonna watch it (and hopefully like it), but it is going to be tough to explain why they can't see it and why Deadpool would make a movie that kids can't watch.
    I feel you. I got a 12 year-old and he is not happy. I understand the R rating because it's a movie about a mercenary who kills. A lot. I'm going to see it and see how soon he can see it. I'll be curious of your thoughts as a parent. The red band has it as a "no".
  • Options
    I hear ya. My 13 year old wants to see it. Common Sense Media gave it a 17+ age rating so I had to kibosh it.
  • Options
    $135 million. Are you kidding me?!? I wonder what did it. A strong core of Deadpool fans. Valentine's Day couples? Not much competition? R rating which would cause it to lose some business?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It's getting great reviews and, unlike most straight forward super hero fare, it's meta and pokes fun at the concept while also embracing it. The producers had fun with it and you can tell from the opening titles which say it’s produced by “Ass-hats” and directed by “an overpaid tool.”

I don't know if it would work as well in the inevitable sequel, but the way this movie is smashing superhero tropes has apparently struck a chord. And I suppose the dick jokes worked.
  • Options

It's getting great reviews and, unlike most straight forward super hero fare, it's meta and pokes fun at the concept while also embracing it. The producers had fun with it and you can tell from the opening titles which say it’s produced by “Ass-hats” and directed by “an overpaid tool.”

I don't know if it would work as well in the inevitable sequel, but the way this movie is smashing superhero tropes has apparently struck a chord. And I suppose the dick jokes worked.

People who normally wouldn't go to super-hero flicks but would go to see a film that skewers the genre?
  • Options
    The strong opening weekend has to be in large part to the fantastic marketing that has been leading up to this film. Originally, I wasn't planning on watching Deadpool in the cinema... but after all those awesome trailers and a great print campaign, I can't wait to see it in the theatre.

+ not a ton of competition out there right now.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    When I went to see it today, they actually had signs up at the ticket window saying that the movie was rated R & they wouldn't refund any money to people who take their kids to the film.
  • Options

When I went to see it today, they actually had signs up at the ticket window saying that the movie was rated R & they wouldn't refund any money to people who take their kids to the film.

Good on the Theatre for being proactive.
    I wouldn't give a refund to any parent too stupid to preform their "due diligence" and at least do a little cursory investigating about a film before letting your kids watch it... especially since it is RATED R! Although, I have seen no shortage in terrible parenting examples at the local cinema. I recall back when The Hulk movie was in the theatre, I went to see it on Father's Day (by myself, because my kids were too young to go with me). There was a kid about three or four years of age (the same age as my kid at the time), who spend half the film cowering under his seat and crying, all while his father kept scolding him and telling him to be quiet. I bet that guy took his kid to see Deadpool.

I had a hard conversation with my 10 year old daughter this weekend trying to tactfully convey why we couldn't go see Deadpool. It didn't go over well... was she ever pissed!

I feel bad that I am going to have to sneak off to the theatre and watch it without her.

Not really looking forward to explaining why she gets left at home, while her Mom and I are flying to LA for the Captain America; Civil War hollywood premier. There will be much door slamming.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SPOILER PARENTAL WARNING: There is a sex scene where the lead character is receiving anal from his girlfriend.

So, whether it's for the profane language, the ample nudity (Stan Lee cameo alert!), or the gory violence, do whatever you can prevent your pre-teens from seeing this movie.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I have no desire to see a Deadpool movie..not my thing. My aunt went and saw it with her husband and she loved it. She isn't a superhero fan at all and she said she was drug to it.
  • Options
    Saw it last night. Loved it!

When I was 13 my dad let me watch A Clockwork Orange. This is similar. There are sites out there that explain what might be objectionable, right? And I don't know that this is a thread OK for spoilers... yet.
  • Options
    Deadpool has literally smashed a lot of recent box office records.

Largest February Opening Weekend
    Largest 4-Day President’s Day Weekend
    Largest R-Rated Opening Weekend
    Largest R-Rated Comic Adaptation Opening
    Largest Winter Opening Weekend
    Largest Opening Ever for 20th Century Fox

No doubt that FOX executives are in talks about what this means going forward. I expect a lot of BAD ideas will come of the studio's perceptions of why a movie they didn't initially support is such a major hit, but hopefully there will be a few good ones too.

How does this bode for the movie-going public's reception to dark, gritty comic adaptations? With feel-good romps like GotG and Deadpool, will BVsS:DoJ or Civil War under-perform like Avengers: AoU (supposedly) did?

Final thoughts: Best on screen version of Colossus since the 90's cartoon?

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    It's a fantastic movie. I have to say that I was never into Deadpool and thought I wouldn't be into it even with Ryan Renolds as the star. This movie was hilarious. I feel like I need to see it again because I missed some stuff from laughing so hard. Still, it was a good plot, great casting and funny as hell. This movie almost makes me intrigued in the Joe Kelly Deadpool stuff.
  • Options
    Is this the best R-rated comic book movie ever?

My top 10 rated R comic book movies are now:

10) History of Violence
    9) The Kingsmen
    8) Kick-Ass
    7) Watchmen
    6) Sin City
    5) The Crow
    4) Dredd
    3) Blade
    2) 300
    and now Deadpool is above them all.

And it's the number one X-Men related film ever. It's the 3rd highest grossing R-rated film of all time and it's the number one rated R comic book movie of all time financially. This juggernaut has raked in over $620 million dollars globally.

I'm betting Disney isn't too happy about that.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2016

I'm betting Disney isn't too happy about that.

Why? Fox may be the licensee, but Disney still owns the Deadpool IP. Buy a piece of Deadpool merchandise? That's money in Disney's pocket. I would be surprised if being the owner/licencor of a property that is newly hot is something to be unhappy about- it means that more people will want to buy more Deadpool things.

Remember-- Marvel Studio movies vs. 20th Century Fox/ Sony Movies of Marvel Characters is a horse race where Disney still owns all the horses.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Good point @David_D

However, with the success of Deadpool, Disney's chairman, Bob Iger, is getting inundated with questions as to whether or not Disney will now consider an R-Rated superhero movie. So "Disney isn't too happy" could mean "Disney is slightly perturbed."

And a rated R movie isn't selling quite as many toys to the kiddies as a BvS movie could.
  • Options
    Remember a few years ago when GotG director, James Gunn, did a hard R-rated, superhero themed, dark comedy? It didn't do quite as well.

https://youtu.be/SoThpUCgvdw

• Options

Remember a few years ago when GotG director, James Gunn, did a hard R-rated, superhero themed, dark comedy? It didn't do quite as well.

https://youtu.be/SoThpUCgvdw

Jeez that movie blew.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    So here's a bit of interesting news Deadpool has been nominated for a Producers Guild and Writers Guild award. These are usually a precursor for potential Oscar nominations.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/deadpool-oscar-conversation-ryan-reynolds-consider-this-1201764976/

Of the two I think the better bet would be screenplay and I give that about a 10 percent chance
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Deadpool 2 is getting a new limited pg-13 release.
    Once Upon a Deadpool.
    There is a princess Bride plot with Fred Savage interspersed with the edited Deadpool 2 movie.