Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Seen Ant Man? (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    batlaw said:

It also bugged me (another intentional pun) when antman jumped on the barrel of the firing pistol in close up and there was barely a flash or reaction. Missed opportunity imo for a cool effect / moment.

I felt like that whole sequence was a missed opportunity for a great 3D effect. After spending $30 on two IMAX 3D tickets, watching him run left to right along a gun barrel instead of straight at me felt like a missed opportunity.

In general, my wife and I found the 3D lackluster. It was much better in GOTG.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I watched it again tonight.

On the cable car, during the jail escape, Scott and Antony landed briefly on a newspaper. The headline said something like "Who's To Blame For {something}?"

Was it Sokovia?
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Loved it. Two thumbs up. I've got it in my Top 5 superhero movies ever:

1) Winter Soldier
    2) Guardians of the Galaxy
    3) Captain America
    4) Mystery Men
    5) Ant-Man
  • Options

Loved it. Two thumbs up. I've got it in my Top 5 superhero movies ever:

1) Winter Soldier
    2) Guardians of the Galaxy
    3) Captain America
    4) Mystery Men
    5) Ant-Man

Nice list.

Captain America and Winter Soldier are essentially tied for second for me.
    The Incredibles is still my number one.
    Mystery Men comes in fourth, and then The Avengers, but Ant-Man is hovering at #6 at the moment.
  • Options
    And since I know everybody's wondering, rounding out my Top 10 ...

6) Avengers
    7) Age of Ultron
    8) Watchmen
    9) Batman Begins
    10) Iron Man
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Saw it again last night (second time). It holds up very well!
    My friend who saw it for the first time loved it too!
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    I rather enjoyed it.

But I didn't LOVE it.

I came out of the theater with my future brother in law, his brother and our mutual friend. They were all looking to me (since I'm the comic fan) so I felt I had to fake a little more enthusiasm for it that I actually had. Because they were SO psyched I didn't want to downplay their enjoyment and immersion into a new (to them) superhero.

I feel like David D's comments about two movies that never quite meshed together works.

I can't put my finger on what kept me from just becoming LOST in this movie, but I just wasn't riveted to my seat.

I definitely enjoy it more than some other Marvel Studios movies though.

I just need another viewing or two to get a more concrete opinion of it I guess.
  • Options
    Can anyone explain why they had to go through all the mumbo jumbo at the end with him sneaking in through the storm sewers instead of, oh, idk ... one of the Pyms smuggling him into the place in their pocket of something?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Can anyone explain why they had to go through all the mumbo jumbo at the end with him sneaking in through the storm sewers instead of, oh, idk ... one of the Pyms smuggling him into the place in their pocket of something?

I forget the actually wording, but essentially Cross' security could detect Scott on them.

M
  • Options
    Ah, okay. Thanks.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2015
    Saw it today and loved it. It far surpassed my expectations.

Rudd, Douglas, and Lilly were all great.

The villian was typical marvel movie fare but still enjoyable. He thinks his mentor screwed him over, now he is evil and wants revenge. It has a very "pro wrestling" simplicity to it but I am not sure how much more of a backstory or motivation audiences want for the bad guy.

The theater I saw it in did not react at all to most of the humor. Not sure if it was because the jokes did not work, were too dead panned, or went over the heads of the crowd.

My Marvel top 10:

Capt America 2
    Avengers
    Capt America 1
    Iron Man 1
    Thor
    Ant Man
    Avengers 2
    Iron Man 2
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    This is a question that has no real answer but...

Was the Falcon the only person or security on duty at the Avengers complex? It would seem that someone would see him getting smacked around on some monitor or sensor and come out to help.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I just figured the Avengers were in Eastern Europe or outer space and Falcon had to hang back.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited July 2015

Cross tripled security and the full body scan would have detected Scott, plus a metal detector would have picked up his helmet. If it wouldn't have spoiled the reveal, they could have hidden him inside the tank.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137

My Marvel top 10:

Capt America 2
    Avengers
    Capt America 1
    Iron Man 1
    Thor
    Ant Man
    Avengers 2
    Iron Man 2
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy

This is closer to what I'd have, with some notable differences. Do we have a "Rank the Marvel/Rank your favorite comic movies" thread?
  • Options
    RickM said:

I just figured the Avengers were in Eastern Europe or outer space and Falcon had to hang back.

Classic "stuck on monitor duty" scenario.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Aka "Aquaman's job."

• Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

WetRats said:

Aka "Aquaman's job."

Not entirely fair, to my knowledge/experience it was usually Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, or the Atom.

(Though I get and appreciate the joke. Just tossing some knowledge for the general populace.)

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

WetRats said:

Aka "Aquaman's job."

Not entirely fair, to my knowledge/experience it was usually Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, or the Atom.

(Though I get and appreciate the joke. Just tossing some knowledge for the general populace.)

And now it's Cyborg.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Just saw it. A fun movie that carries itself lightly. Favourite moments were the training scenes, a 1989 era Michael Douglas, and Ant man going subatomic. I was wondering if Scott was going to make contact with Hank Pyms wife while he was there, but then that might make a good story for a potential sequel, or even a Wasp movie.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

bamfbamf said:

it's my top 10

i left out Iron Man 2 and Hulk

=)

Wow! There's 12 of these movies now?!?. I'm losing count! Might as well do my ranking too.

1. Avengers
    2. Winter Soldier: Cap 2
    3. Iron Man
    4. Avengers Age of Ultron
    5. Captain America
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    7. Ant-Man
    8. Iron Man 2
    9. Thor
    10. Thor: The Dark World
    11. Incredible Hulk
    12. Iron Man 3

Says a lot about the strength of these movies that outside Iron Man 3 I really enjoyed the Thor movies.
    this is a tough list & increasingly one of narrow margins

I dug Ant-man & found it very reminiscent to Iron Man. I liked it better than Ultron because it didn't suffer form the heavy editing & cutting that ultron did. it was a simple straightforward story.

1. Winter Soldier
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy
    3. Avengers
    4. Iron Man
    5. Thor: The Dark World
    6. Captain America
    7. Ant-Man
    8. Incredible Hulk
    9. Thor
    10. Iron Man 2
    11. Iron Man 3
    12. Ultron
  • Options
    Its wicked awesome actors return for this kind of side stuff & that Marvel does them:

http://youtu.be/2xnbyefdpdk

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Was just reading about the alternate ending they had planned for Ant-Man. Could an AoS follow-up be in the works?

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

Its wicked awesome actors return for this kind of side stuff & that Marvel does them:

M

Ok, is she the one Stark slept with?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

M

Yup, she did a big spread. She was also working on an expose on Justin Hammer.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

M

Yup, she did a big spread. She was also working on an expose on Justin Hammer.

M
    Lol. Pun intended??
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

I like banner running down the bottom with the headlines. I'd love if an actual book of 'The Life and Times of Howard Stark' came out for real as an accompaniment to the MCU, giving us a load of background and history. I'd buy it!
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this movie more & specifically connecting it to AoU. Trying to tread lightly for those who've yet to see AoU, one of the complaints about Ultron was his portrayal. I think, based on whose personality was the genesis of Ultron's personality, the movie version made sense.

If Ultron's personality was patterned after Pym's then I would've expected Whedon to present it more in line with what is the normal to the source material readers.

Having seen Pym in this movie, then keeping him Ultron's creator in AoU would've been interested to see the emerging personality.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2015
    Should we assume that the “accords” Cap refers to in the post-credits scene are the MCU’s version of the Registration Act? That would explain why Steve and Tony aren’t really on good terms at the moment of that scene. Obviously that scene the prelude to bringing Ant-Man into Civil War movie next year.

Also, fun Easter egg mentioned in the CGS episode. During Scott's first outing in the suit in the movie, (follows the bathtub scene) - Ant-Man lands on the roof of a cab on his back. That cabbie is Garret Morris, the comedian who played Ant-Man in a late 70's SNL superhero sketch seen below.

Very subtle cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoK2p68zpfY