Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1569 Talkback - Comic Talk

Join us in welcoming newly-anointed Official Geek DANI O'BRIEN to the proud ranks of Comic Geek Speak (hope you survive the experience, Dani)! After the initiation ceremony, light refreshments will be served, in the form of Comic Talk: more reactions to the Ant-Man movie; news and stories of conventions past and future, courtesy of Pants; an impromptu Off the Racks review of Airboy #1 by James Robinson and Greg Hinkle; TV talk; goodies from the CGS mailbag; and other earthly delights. (1:23:35)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Welcome aboard, Dani!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Hot dang a new geek.
  • Options
    With the understanding that this is working in an appropriate movie reference and not in any way a criticism of the show--"It's about damn time." Yay Dani!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Congrats Dani!

Also, on Facebook I saw a clip of a screening they did for a group of girls of Super-girl and Melissa Benoist suprised them and the girls went crazy. That is some great marketing.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Welcome officially to the fold, Dani! This one's for you, affectionately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2015
    What did James Robinson do after Starman? He went to Hollywood to write screenplays (and direct and produce) and spent five or six years mostly out of comics. That's where his problems seem to originate, though maybe things were already inching that way before he left.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I haven't listened yet! Dani was made an official Geek??? Spoilers!!! :(

J/K .. Congrats! :)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Before I listen: To those who HAVE listened > How much spoilage of the Ant-Man movie was there in this episode? I've skipped the previous episode to avoid spoilage, should I skip this one also?
  • Options
    Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    Yeah Dani!

Now @Pants, why travel to London in November when you can come to Chicago Tardis and meet Jenna and Samuel plus I'll be there. Toys R Us will let you. :-) @ShaneKelly, Dani and Bill should come up also.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Welcome to official geekhood, Dani!

@Pants, I really want to go to the Connecticut Comic Con, too... the guest list is amazing and Mohegan Sun is only about an hour from my house. I get back from California the day before, though, so I don't know if I'll have the energy or the funding to go, but I'm hoping.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    alienal said:

Before I listen: To those who HAVE listened > How much spoilage of the Ant-Man movie was there in this episode? I've skipped the previous episode to avoid spoilage, should I skip this one also?

@alienal - I just skipped ahead a little... they only talk about it for like 5 minutes or so.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    re: Black Widow possibly appearing in the Netflix Daredevil series.. I'm wondering if it may be possible for Charlie Cox to appear as DD in a future DD/Black Widow film.

Here's my brainstorm/stream of consciousness regarding future ideas for DD on screen:
    - Season 2 comes up in 2016, which we know will feature Punisher and Elektra. Possibly a season 3 follows, that could culminate with the wrapup of the Elektra saga and possibly lead-up to an adaptation of Born Again (I could start speculation on who could play Gloriana O'Breen? LOL).
    - Marvel produces a Black Widow film, in which Charlie Cox appears. Perhaps Nelson & Murdock represents her in court as @wildpigcomics has suggested. That would be awesome.
    - Marvel produces a Born Again film starring the core DD cast, which would include some Avenger cameos (especially Cap). There easily could be some adjustments plotwise which would include Black Widow and add some other dimensions to what would already be a thrilling film if it's handled well. OR.. Born Again is adapted in the following season on Netflix.

The above could be unlikely because Born Again would probably have to be a rated R film, and Marvel seems to want to hit that PG-13 rating with the films.. BUT, I think if Black Widow gets integrated into the Daredevil sphere of the MCU, it's more likely to happen in a film rather than on Netflix. I am just spitballing here, but I can't see an actress of Johannson's stature making cameos on the Netflix series, much as I would love to see it happen.

The other thing that would render these ideas moot is the Marvel/Netflix deal.. does anyone know how long that deal runs? Is Marvel contracted to do a certain amount of content over X years on Netflix (with options to extend)? Would they "move" a character from a successful Netflix series into an MCU film (there's a long history of concepts making the TV-to-film jump).

Anyway, just some thoughts..
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    And yes, that Angie Bowie as Elektra shot is totally classic.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    CONGRATULATIONS DANI!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Grandmaster was left off the Elder list.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    If I remember correctly X-Files started on Fridays but as soon as there was a noticeable hype and strong core audience Fox moved it to Sunday. Around season 4 I think.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    JDick said:

If I remember correctly X-Files started on Fridays but as soon as there was a noticeable hype and strong core audience Fox moved it to Sunday. Around season 4 I think.

That's exactly right, season 4 according to Wikipedia. I also like it's competition, all three other networks were still doing Sunday night movies.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508

alienal said:

@alienal - I just skipped ahead a little... they only talk about it for like 5 minutes or so.
    Thanks @LibraryBoy ! Hmm..5 minutes is long enough for me to skip it for now. A lot can be mentioned in 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Welcome indeed to @Dani.
    Just one word of advise. Don't be too cool for school. Join in on the Super Hero Stuff refrain and love it. I always do.
  • Options
    Will the Geeks see Fantastic 4 and do a review?
  • Options
    JDick said:

Chris has seen it. He hopes to share his reaction in a future episode, but no full-length review has been scheduled.
  • Options

JDick said:

Chris has seen it. He hopes to share his reaction in a future episode, but no full-length review has been scheduled.
    I kind of can't wait for that. Who knew the Roger Corman Fantastic 4 would be the high mark for that franchise?

• Options
    Welcome aboard, Dani!

I really enjoyed the first issue of Archie. It had a little bit of a feel of the TV show Saved by the Bell to me where Archie was like Zack Morris. It was a lot of fun and I like how there is a mystery.

I am loving all of the comic TV shows. I actually really love Gotham. The Flash is my current favorite, but Gotham is my #2. I didn't care for the Fish Mooney characte at times. It had nothing to do with the actress. I just don't think the character was written well. I actually liked the various Bat villains coming into play. Loved how things ended with The Ridldler. My favorite character is Jim Gordon. He's the character I identify the most with. I feel like if I was a character on the show, he is who I would be. In fact, I would go as far as to say he's the character I have identified the most with on any show on TV. I hope they keep him the way he is. Don't let him get dark or corrupted...not even a little.

Great show as always, guys!