Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1570 Talkback - Our Pal Sal

Jackpot! It's Uncle Sal time! (2:01:57)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    That was great! So good to hear from Sal again. I just loved the person-by-person put down of all the geeks who weren't on the show! Hilarious! My goodness, has it really been a year? Okay, 2nd Listening:....So, @Pants : what's with the music? Sounded like an old game-show theme or perhaps NFL Films background music?! Was that a one-time thing? Just got tired of the Kirby Krackle and wanted to try something different? I actually liked it. In fact, I wouldn't mind hearing the old theme...Not complaining, but just being constructive: Sal's recording level seemed a little low...
    Anyway, thanks for the episode! I hope you have him on again soon!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    alienal said:

So, @Pants : what's with the music? Sounded like an old game-show theme or perhaps NFL Films background music?! Was that a one-time thing? Just got tired of the Kirby Krackle and wanted to try something different? I actually liked it. In fact, I wouldn't mind hearing the old theme...Not complaining, but just being constructive: Sal's recording level seemed a little low...

The music was just something different. You're pretty spot on with your guesses - the name of the game show has already been mentioned in this thread.

The recording volume for Sal was all the way up on our end, but he was using his cell phone which made the sound a little low.
  • Options
    Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    Hot Damn! Uncle Sal's shit list!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Shots fired. The geeks might need to be in studio next time Sal was taking names
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    alienal said:

So, @Pants : what's with the music? Sounded like an old game-show theme or perhaps NFL Films background music?! Was that a one-time thing?

@alienal If you're wondering what the music is from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJq_rMx9sTs
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    @i_am_scifi : Thanks for that! Haha, I mixed up American football and baseball themes! Well, I used to watch This Week In Baseball, too.

@Pants : There was a game show called "Jackpot?" Never seen it, never heard of it. To Youtube....!
    As for Sal's volume: Yeah, that's the way it goes. I don't know if Skype on his computer or a landline phone would be any better. I still enjoyed it all!
  • Options
    JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    Well, I for one, ahem, found this episode VERY interesting. ;P

Hilarious as always. Well done manning the convo alone, Pants. The others missed out for sure. Love Sal eps!
  • Options
    Dan_in_WIDan_in_WI Posts: 38
    edited August 2015
    Pants' intro was perfect. I was having a bad day and had an especially long evening commute. I lit up when I saw the episode title. Although listening to Sal is often dangerous while driving or operating heavy machinery (due to the laughter) it was much needed. I'm surprised I haven't had an accident doing it.

It was a bit different episode and not just because Pants was flying solo. First off Sal was great as always. At this point it is a lot like a concert. There was some new stories and current industry insights. But like any band you go to see Sal always works in some classic schtick for which he is famous to give you the familiar greatest hits. The different comes in the tone. I've listened to the entire Sal back catalog and you can tell many years have passed since the first appearances and you can see the changes those years have left behind. Of course Sal called out all the absent jag-offs but you can tell it was done from a place of love. Then he got melancholy about it. He's right. Whether you like it or not life gets in the way of friendships and changes what should be lasting regular events. You wish it wasn't the case but it is out of your control. But you can't let life completely cut these things out.

I too miss the days when this show was more regular but I completely understand. It's life. I'll take whatever I can get at this point and clearly as Pants said it may never be that frequent again but it won't go away and adding cast members is a good sign. I too wish Sal had the time to do the conventions like he used to. I wish Sal had the time to do something indy again. I loved Atomika. But I understand that Alex Ross pays his bills and if that is booming it is logical that gets his attention. I met him at C2E2 2013 and it was great talking to the legend. But he hasn't set up there since which means I haven't seen him since as that is the one show I get to.

At least I ran into @Pants again this year. He too couldn't be a warmer guy. I sometimes feel sorry for the Geeks when they are out and about. We fans really have them at a disadvantage. We've listened to them for countless hours and know everything about them they have ever shared. But they meet us for the first time we are total strangers to them. In my case I really felt weird because I ran into Pants in the restroom. While that isn't the place to have a conversation I spoke up anyway because its a big con and that might be the only time our paths cross. Yet Pants was way cool about it and I bet we talked half an hour. Then he did tap me on the shoulder a day later and we chatted a bit more.

The moral of the story: Never meet your heroes is only sometimes true. Some of them are great. Pants and Sal are two shinning examples of the great category.

So despite the melancholy feel this was another wonderful episode. I did feel cheated out of the first Sal/Dani exchange though.
  • Options
    Julienae said:

Hahaha. I'm sorry I was just cracking up when he startred talking about you. It wouldn't have been nearly as funny if you were not so happy about meeting him.

I kept checking in yesterday just to see your response.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    edited August 2015
    Julienae said:

Hilarious as always. Well done manning the convo alone, Pants. The others missed out for sure. Love Sal eps!

8 out of 10? You must be very proud. 8-)

Thanks for having a sense of humor. I almost regretted bringing up your meeting him, but when I heard him laughing I was pretty sure it'd be ok.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Julienae said:

He was talking about you? Haha. That must've been weird to listen to. But funny as you said. Oh Uncle Sal. Haha.

• Options
    JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    Pants said:

Julienae said:

8 out of 10? You must be very proud. 8-)

Thanks for having a sense of humor. I almost regretted bringing up your meeting him, but when I heard him laughing I was pretty sure it'd be ok.
    You have no idea. I was dying this AM, brushing my teeth getting ready for work only to hear MY NAME on my favorite podcast and then Sal giving me "points". Amazing. Badge of honor. Thank you, Pants! I'm just sad the rest of the crew didn't hear my accolades. ;)
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I was waiting for the bus yesterday cracking up listening to Sal cut on the absentee CGS "jag offs". That was a comedy routine in itself. I miss Sal and his CGS visits are always a pleasure.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited August 2015
    @Pants you keep hassling Sal! Make sure both he and Alex Ross are at LSCC next year!!
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    brilliant interview Pants! Really tough to go one on one and keep it flowing for 2 hours. I was cracking up!! especially when Sal was going after the other geeks hahahahha.. Hair hat lmao...
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Love the Uncle Sal episodes!!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    You ever need people to sit in via Skype and be part of the laugh track give me a call!

Pants: What about all those signs your kids put up welcoming daddy home?
    Sal: They want money.

LOL
  • Options
    rkbrasserkbrasse Posts: 17
    Why is this one not on the rss feed yet?
  • Options
    rkbrasse said:

Why is this one not on the rss feed yet?

I downloaded it the day it came out on my BeyondPod for Android, so dunno what's up there. @Pants, any idea?
  • Options
    Bryan's Revenge.

1570 & 1571 are no longer showing up itunes but both episodes are still showing in the app though. I downloaded mine the day they came out so I just have to change some settings
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Bryan's Revenge.

1570 & 1571 are no longer showing up itunes but both episodes are still showing in the app though. I downloaded mine the day they came out so I just have to change some settings

Might wanna check now @rkbrasse I think the issue has been corrected!

• Options
    Nope rss feed still ends at 1569. iTunes, and by proxy myself, is using the www.comicgeekspeak.com/cgs-rss.xml feed.
  • Options
    Dan_in_WIDan_in_WI Posts: 38
    edited September 2015
    rkbrasse said:

Nope rss feed still ends at 1569. iTunes, and by proxy myself, is using the www.comicgeekspeak.com/cgs-rss.xml feed.

On top of that none of the MOHOTMU's from 8/24 have appeared on iTunes and it appears that the rest of August has retroactively disappeared. The only thing that seems to work for me right now is the Comic Geek Speak app. But right now that only seems to work for streaming. I can't get it to download either since the weird started happening. Something is not right.