Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    1975 Gil Kane and Bernie Wrightson together according to comicbookDB
  • Options
    1978 Ernie Chan and Rudy Nebres, and someone finally gives Barney what he has coming
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I'm going to jump ahead to January of 1977 and Omega the Unknown #6, featuring Romita inked by Dave Cockrum, which made for a very nice combination. I think it’s one of Romita’s best covers from this later period.

• Options
    Kirby and Mike Rover 1974
  • Options
    In honor of the upcoming GotG movie, this was my first exposure to them in the pages of Defenders #26 (yes, I know ... different GotG team). Cover by Jazzy John Romita:

• Options
    1983 Miller and Varley
  • Options
    Was a huge Sub-Mariner fan as a kid and thus had the entire run of Invaders and Super Villain Team-Up. Also picked up this B&W issue of "Rampaging Hulk" in Oct 1977 for obvious reasons. Cover by Jim Starlin:

• Options
    Today is the birthday of my favorite French artist, Yves Chaland (1957-90). I've posted some of his work in this thread before, but I needed a break from all the ’70s Marvel covers.

• Options
    1975 Jim Starlin
  • Options
    I loved Marvel's PotA comics. Used to get their B&W magazine that they put out in the 70s. Each issue featured 2 continuing series. The first story was their adaptation of the movie series and was definitely cool, but the other one was this original series by Doug Moench and Mike Ploog called "Terror on the Planet of the Apes" and to quote Tony the Tiger ... it was *great*! It told the story of best friends Jason and Alexander, a human and chimp, who were framed for murder by a renegade gorilla general and forced to flee Ape City. It followed their travels through the forbidden zone, etc. and while it got a little "out there" at the end of it's run, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here's a Bob Larkin cover from the issue where they introduced my favorite character "Gunpowder Julius" ... a Davy Crockett-esque chimp who was the meanest, toughest, harddriking SOB this side of Ape City:

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Caliban said:

1975 Jim Starlin

That issue truly shattered my senses, and it took years of counseling to correct the damage. The blurb is not hyperbole at all.

Also, I want Grant Morrison to do a mind-melting series featuring Gunpowder Julius.

• Options
    RickM said:

Also, I want Grant Morrison to do a mind-melting series featuring Gunpowder Julius.

Agreed! My only request is that it include Lightning Smith and his secret hideaway inside one of the Mt Rushmore heads!

• Options
    In light of today’s android-centric episode, here’s Marvel’s (and perhaps comics’) first android superhero, the Human Torch. Shown here is Human Torch #2 (Fall 1940), the debut of his eponymous series (it picked up where Red Raven Comics #1 left off), with cover art by Alex Schomburg. This issue also featured the debut and origin of Torch’s sidekick, the actually human Toro.

• Options
    Namor back when he used to blow dry his hair!
  • Options
    Mike Ploog in 1974
  • Options
    Following @nweathington‌ 's lead, here's the oldest JLA comic in my collection. Five will get you ten if you can guess who accepted Superman's challenge. (Hint: He's on the cover, he's an android, and his initials are "R.T.")

(Cover by Nick Cardy btw)
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Following @nweathington‌ 's lead, here's the oldest JLA comic in my collection. Five will get you ten if you can guess who accepted Superman's challenge. (Hint: He's on the cover, he's an android, and his initials are "R.T.")

(Cover by Nick Cardy btw)

One of my very favorite Cardy JLA covers.
  • Options
    Happy birthday to one of the best cover artists working today, Dave Johnson! Here’s the cover to Superpatriot #1, his first mini-series and where people first took notice of his work.

• Options
    1980 Joe Kubert
  • Options

Happy birthday to one of the best cover artists working today, Dave Johnson! Here’s the cover to Superpatriot #1, his first mini-series and where people first took notice of his work.

• Options
    Released the same month as Superpatriot #1 was the first issue of Dave’s first regular ongoing series work, Chain Gang War. Whereas with Superpatriot Dave inked his own work, DC paired him with an inker, John Dell, who did a pretty good job, though he made Dave’s work much slicker. Dell inked most of his covers too, though Dave’s Gaijin Studio-mate Karl Story inked a couple. Chain Gang War lasted 12 issues with Dave penciling all but three of them—and he penciled all the covers, even inking a couple himself, as with issue #10 below.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    And happy birthday to Art Adams! I've posted a bunch of Art’s stuff already, so since Art is a huge Godzilla fan, and since the new movie is coming out soon, here’s Art’s original art to three of his Godzilla: Legends mini-series connecting covers from a couple of years back. (Click on it to get the full effect.)

• Options
    One more birthday today: Bernard Baily (1916-96). Baily was part of the comics industry from its very beginnings, working for Jerry Iger and his Wow! What a Magazine! Of course, Baily is best known as the co-creator of The Spectre (with Jerry “Superman” Siegel) and Hourman (with Ken Fitch), though he also co-created the lesser known Tex Thomson who debuted in Action Comics #1.

Eventually Baily became a publisher and packager of comics himself in the ’40s, and he gave Gil Kane, Carmine Infantino, and Frank Frazetta some of their first work in the industry. But for perspective’s sake, I should point out that Baily ran a sweatshop. He didn’t pay much even by the standards of the time—he didn’t even provide paper or ink for his artists as most studios did. Carmine liked Baily as a person, but he said that Baily only cared about getting the pages out when it came to the comics.

So here is one of Baily’s most iconic covers: More Fun Comics #54 (Apr. 1940), penciled and inked by Baily.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited April 2014
    Part of today's surprise find:
    I know nothing of the title

Any info?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Love this one!

• Options