Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,742
    edited May 2014
    A little Golden Age Wonder Woman from 1943 in honor of the birthday of William Moulton Marston (1893-1947). Cover art by Harry Peter.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited May 2014
  • Options
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Amazing Adventures (v2) featuring War of the Worlds / KIllraven (Sept 1976)
    Pencils: Keith Pollard (signed); Marie Severin (alterations)
    Inks: Keith Pollard; Marie Severin (alterations)

Alterations on Killraven's and perhaps a few other characters faces by Marie Severin, per Nick Caputo. Fred Snyder credited Severin with inking and drawing all the faces.

Death's Dark Dreamer: (story synopsis) While traveling through the city of Miami, Killraven is drawn into a giant dome which turns out to be the old Miami Museum of Cultural Development. He is lured there by an astronaut who, after a space mission to Mars, found himself bombarded with strange radiation and being put into a coma-like state.

Stored in the museum, the dreaming astronaut sought to bring people to the museum in order to rouse him from his long slumber. In order to do so, he uses the building's holographic and virtual reality devices to create constructs from Earth's heroic age, and many of its now deceased heroes, and forces Killraven to battle them.

Killraven is able to battle off and defeat the collection of heroes which have been perverted into almost demonic-looking beings. After defeating them all and their leader, an amalgamation of Captain America and President Gerald Ford, Killraven is confronted by the astronaut who has finally awoken from his slumber. Disturbed by the lengths it took to awaken the astronaut and fearing that should he rest more others could be put at risk of his machinations, Killraven kills the astronaut and leaves the museum in disgust.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Worlds Unknown (v1) #6 (April 1974)
    Cover artists Gil Kane, Ernie Chan, and John Romita Sr.

What vile vehicle appeared in Worlds Unknown, courtesy of Gerry Conway and Dick Ayers? That would be Theodore Sturgeon’s Killdozer. Interestingly, through the vagaries of scheduling, this actually preceded the TV-movie it was supposed to be tying in to. This seems to be more based on a novella from 1944 than the tv movie.

The cover is actually filled with lies. The tv movie had not been released yet, and In the Marvel Comics version, the alien being's origin more closely follows Sturgeon's original story. In the TV movie version, the alien energy is contained in a meteor found by the crew's excavation. Also, there is a woman on the cover, but there are no women in this comic.

You could watch the movie here, if you dare...
  • Options

Amazing Adventures (v2) featuring War of the Worlds / KIllraven (Sept 1976)
    Pencils: Keith Pollard (signed); Marie Severin (alterations)
    Inks: Keith Pollard; Marie Severin (alterations)

Alterations on Killraven's and perhaps a few other characters faces by Marie Severin, per Nick Caputo. Fred Snyder credited Severin with inking and drawing all the faces.

Death's Dark Dreamer: (story synopsis) While traveling through the city of Miami, Killraven is drawn into a giant dome which turns out to be the old Miami Museum of Cultural Development. He is lured there by an astronaut who, after a space mission to Mars, found himself bombarded with strange radiation and being put into a coma-like state.

Stored in the museum, the dreaming astronaut sought to bring people to the museum in order to rouse him from his long slumber. In order to do so, he uses the building's holographic and virtual reality devices to create constructs from Earth's heroic age, and many of its now deceased heroes, and forces Killraven to battle them.

Killraven is able to battle off and defeat the collection of heroes which have been perverted into almost demonic-looking beings. After defeating them all and their leader, an amalgamation of Captain America and President Gerald Ford, Killraven is confronted by the astronaut who has finally awoken from his slumber. Disturbed by the lengths it took to awaken the astronaut and fearing that should he rest more others could be put at risk of his machinations, Killraven kills the astronaut and leaves the museum in disgust.

"So, Doctor Howard, what should we do with Coma Guy?"

"Well, Doctor Fine, he's just taking up room here. Let's see if some museum will take him."
  • Options

Norman Maurer, the artist of this cover, was also the writer and artist of most of the stories in the series. And he was the son-in-law of Moe Howard. All his comic book work was Three Stooges related—two Three Stooges series for St. John in 1949 and the early ’50s, and then The Little Stooges for Gold Key in the early ’70s—except for his collaboration with his brother Leonard and Joe Kubert to produce the first 3-D comic, Three Dimension Comics #1 (Sept. 1953), featuring Mighty Mouse, also for St. John.

Maurer also worked in animation, as executive producer of—you guessed it—The New Three Stooges—and later worked at Hanna-Barbera as a writer and as the creator and executive producer of The Three Robonic Stooges.

One more from Maurer, his first cover: The Three Stooges #1 (Feb. 1949).

• Options

Norman Maurer, the artist of this cover, was also the writer and artist of most of the stories in the series. And he was the son-in-law of Moe Howard. All his comic book work was Three Stooges related—two Three Stooges series for St. John in 1949 and the early ’50s, and then The Little Stooges for Gold Key in the early ’70s—except for his collaboration with his brother Leonard and Joe Kubert to produce the first 3-D comic, Three Dimension Comics #1 (Sept. 1953), featuring Mighty Mouse, also for St. John.

Maurer also worked in animation, as executive producer of—you guessed it—The New Three Stooges—and later worked at Hanna-Barbera as a writer and as the creator and executive producer of The Three Robonic Stooges.

One more from Maurer, his first cover: The Three Stooges #1 (Feb. 1949).

"Like!"

• Options
    As I am often wont to be, I am in a Frank Robbins mood tonight. We've talked before about Robbins in this thread and on others. Whether you like his stuff or not, he was a huge influence on a lot of comic book artists—Bruce Timm, Darwyn Cooke, Chris Samnee, and Bill Wray, just to name a few. Robbins, of course, made his name as one of the artists of the Scorchy Smith newspaper strip, which he took over in 1939 before creating his own strip, Johnny Hazard, in 1944.

He didn't enter the comic book industry until 1968, not as an artist, but as a writer (he continued writing and drawing Johnny Hazard until 1977). Before long he would take on art jobs as well, but he wouldn't draw his first cover until 1974 with The Shadow #5.

• Options

As I am often wont to be, I am in a Frank Robbins mood tonight. We've talked before about Robbins in this thread and on others. Whether you like his stuff or not, he was a huge influence on a lot of comic book artists—Bruce Timm, Darwyn Cooke, Chris Samnee, and Bill Wray, just to name a few. Robbins, of course, made his name as one of the artists of the Scorchy Smith newspaper strip, which he took over in 1939 before creating his own strip, Johnny Hazard, in 1944.

He didn't enter the comic book industry until 1968, not as an artist, but as a writer (he continued writing and drawing Johnny Hazard until 1977). Before long he would take on art jobs as well, but he wouldn't draw his first cover until 1974 with The Shadow #5.

There are people who don't like Frank Robbins?

Inconceivable!
  • Options
    There are so many brilliant things going on in that cover, it's kinda hard to separate them.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    1974 Bob Oksner
  • Options
    Caliban said:

1974 Bob Oksner

Supergirl's internship with DC's editorial department was brief, but eventful.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    OMG ... "Prez." Haven't thought about that comic in years decades.
  • Options
    John Romita Sr 1973
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    Caliban said:

John Romita Sr 1973

That's a fun story. I don't know it's the first inter-title crossover Marvel ever did but it was an early one. Cemented my love for the Defenders.
  • Options

That's a fun story. I don't know it's the first inter-title crossover Marvel ever did but it was an early one. Cemented my love for the Defenders.

Spider-Man and Johnny Storm were double-dating nearly ten years before this.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Caliban said:

John Romita Sr 1973

My memory's a little rusty here, but I think there might have been a story or two that crossed titles before this one -- but I believe this was the first extended crossover of this sort, and a darn good one, too. It was an Annual-worthy event, which was what writer Steve Englehart was aiming for.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    WetRats said:

Yeah but those were guest appearances. This was a single story that alternated issues between Avengers and Defenders for like 3 months.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Yeah but those were guest appearances. This was a single story that alternated issues between Avengers and Defenders for like 3 months.
    Gotcha.
  • Options
    In honor of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s birthday, Marvel Preview #5 (Apr. 1976), painted by Ken Barr.

• Options
    1975 Gil Kane and Klaus Janson according to GCD, no entry on comicbookDB
    looks right to me
  • Options
    Caliban said:

1975 Gil Kane and Klaus Janson according to GCD, no entry on comicbookDB
    looks right to me

GCD has incorrect entries as well, but I trust it more on the whole. And this is certainly Janson inking. The way Nighthawk is inked cinches it for me.
  • Options
    Sal Buscema from 1973