Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited June 2016

Following along with Eric's Heroes Con finds... (It was great seeing you at Heroes Con, Eric!)

Great seeing you again too, Rob. Glad we got to hang out a bit.
  • Options
    define999define999 Posts: 58

define999 said:

Really fun cover Weathington!

Only my very close friends call me Weathington. Call me Eric. ;)
    Will do!!!!
  • Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553

[Will dig out some non-U.S. comics for next time...]

Here was a $1 bin find from Heroes Con. I've been keeping an eye out for issues in this run of Ka-Zar, because I've been somewhat reading or re-reading runs of books drawn by Val Mayerik, and this is a run I never read back in the day. If it's been collected, I haven't spotted it yet.

I'll probably put up some more Heroes Con finds in the coming months, as I start reading them -- more TPB's than individual issues, but can post up some covers for issues included in the collections...

Ka-Zar #16 from June 1976,
    Pencils: Rich Buckler
    Inks: Dan Adkins

And here's an interior page by Mayerik (pencils & inks), words by Doug Moench:

• Options
    More Heroes Con loot: Got this one as part of an 8-for-$20 deal. $2.50 for Frank Thorne, Gray Morrow, and Alex freaking Toth art. I'm surprised I didn’t already have it, but that has been remedied.

• Options
    Sounds like Heroes con was good for you guys!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ok my friends! Today is something special! The Mexican La Prensa, Iron Man #1(Hombre de Hierro #1) good ole shellhead from south of the border. This book is rough but complete... Im thinking this is probably one of the top 3 Mexican editions I own. Do I own an American Iron Man 1? Yes, and I love it but, it is replaceable at almost any time in almost any grade. Early La Prensa Mexican keys can be very very tough to find for a multitude of reasons. This book is a truly special Mexican Marvel, pun intended!

photo 1929915_1713389282263092_4432323323042463312_n.jpg
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Captain Britain #33
    May 1977
    Cover artist Ron Wilson

• Options
    Yes, @define999, Heroes (in Charlotte, NC) is a great con! And we need some setting higher than "AWESOME" for that Mexican Iron Man #1!

OK, switching to a few of my old non-U.S. comics...

This one is a thick little digest-sized comic, but still saddle-stitched (i.e., stapled). Color interiors, it includes two Cap stories (or parts of them), Ant-Man, and Eternals. Also, some text pieces including one that seems to be about Kirby.

I believe it's in Portugese, and if memory serves, my parents brought it back to me from Brazil. The copyright seems to say 1968, but that doesn't seem correct, or at least not referring to the date of publication. I think I got it in the late 70's or early 80's.

• Options
    edited June 2016

I believe it's in Portugese, and if memory serves, my parents brought it back to me from Brazil. The copyright seems to say 1968, but that doesn't seem correct, or at least not referring to the date of publication. I think I got it in the late 70's or early 80's.

Yep, that’s Portuguese, and it is definitely from Brazil—Rondonia and Roraima are states in Brazil. Looks like it was published in Portugal, and distributed in certain parts of Brazil. And that cover image is taken from Captain America #200 (Aug. 1976), the conclusion of the “Madbomb” story.

• Options
    Awesome -- thanks, @nweathington! More to come...
  • Options
    Heroes Con wrap-up: Here’s the last Heroes purchase I'll post. I made more buys, but you've seen enough. So here’s The Phantom #32 with cover and interior art by Jim Aparo. Well worth the $2.

• Options
    Another digest-sized comic from Brazil. Looks like it's all Six Million Dollar Man comics inside, though some text pieces on the show/characters, and advertisements for some Marvel titles, too. All color pages.

• Options

Another digest-sized comic from Brazil. Looks like it's all Six Million Dollar Man comics inside, though some text pieces on the show/characters, and advertisements for some Marvel titles, too. All color pages.

That Jack Sparling cover is from Charlton’s Six Million Dollar Man #4, also from 1976. Are the interiors by Joe Staton? He drew the first four issues of that series.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    June 1951: In honor of Alex Toth’s birthday today—and because it’s one of his best covers—this month it’s All-American Western #121 by Toth, with inks by Sy Barry, Dan Barry’s brother and an excellent artist himself. Toth was still working primarily with DC at this point, but would soon make Standard his biggest client. You can see hints of Toth becoming slightly more reductive in this cover, but for the most he was still showing his Noel Sickles influence in full force. Nice job by the colorist on the half-tones of the shadows on the wall of the building.

• Options

That Jack Sparling cover is from Charlton’s Six Million Dollar Man #4, also from 1976. Are the interiors by Joe Staton? He drew the first four issues of that series.

You called it, @nweathington ! There's two stories inside, both have Joe Staton art (see below)....

I would really, really love to see a trivia showdown someday at a con that featured you, @Adam_Murdough and Mark Waid.... Epic.

• Options
    OK, before I return to a couple older non-U.S. comics in my collection, here's the most recent one -- a gift from my significant other when she visited Taiwan.

The book had a wraparound "bookstore wrapper" along the bottom, so I've scanned it with and without the wrapper...

• Options
    edited June 2016
    You called it, @nweathington ! There's two stories inside, both have Joe Staton art (see below)....

I would really, really love to see a trivia showdown someday at a con that featured you, @Adam_Murdough and Mark Waid.... Epic.
    No, you really wouldn't. My memory recall is terrible. With this one it went like: “Ooh, a Jack Sparling painted cover! Now, Neal Adams did the covers to the oversized Six Million Dollar Man books, so Sparling must have done some of the covers for the regular series. Didn’t Joe Staton draw some of those issues?” Then I went to the GCD website, looked up Six Million Dollar Man, and, “Yes, Joe drew the first four issues. Oh, and that Brazilian cover was originally from issue #4, which Joe drew. I wonder if that Brazilian issue reprinted some of Joe’s stories?”

So, yeah, I know a lot of stuff about comics, but I have trouble remembering all the details—especially numbers. My trick is that I know enough that I can usually look up any details I can’t recall pretty quickly. Smoke and mirrors, pal, smoke and mirrors.
  • Options

Smoke and mirrors, pal, smoke and mirrors.

OK, then a timed event....and you can use GCD... ;)

I love this thread! You never know what's going to pop up next...

• Options

Very nice Brazilians Rob! The Cap was published on November 1976. Find its entry at the Brazilian/Portuguese Dbase here....

guiadosquadrinhos.com/edicao/capitao-america-n-19/ca15701/20953

Im not sure if Blochs were printed in Portugal and then shipped to Brazil? Its possible for sure.... What I do know from my boy in Portugal is a lot of stuff happened vice versa. Stuff was printed in Brazil because of the cheaper labor then sent to Portugal and a few of the Portuguese speaking colonies around the world, I forget which. But im really not sure where... you can find the publisher page here. Don't forget to use to use the Chromes browser auto translate feature.

guiadosquadrinhos.com/editora/bloch/4

Also, im freakin digging on the Taiwanese WD bro! Very cool, and quite rare to see on this side of the world. Awesome gift by your sig other!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ok, my wife and I are gearing up for the Game of Thrones finale on the DVR so I will make this quick. The Italian Spotlight #5(Devil, Ghost, Ironman #105) changed the mainly black background of the original to red. Makes sense I guess since Daredevils mug is featured prominently on the cover. Corno, the Italian Pub, combined Ghostrider, Daredevil and Iron man into this title.

photo ItalianSpotlight5.jpg

Also since I missed yesterday I will dig deep and find something obscure for your peepers today. The Russian Hellboy SOD is one cool comic. Love how the Russian title translation maintains the Hell boy aesthetic. 42 is the publisher which holds the Dark horse license in Russia I believe. I have pics of the interior buried somewhere in my photobucket. But, I am in a hurry to get my GOT on.....

photo RussianHellboy.jpg
  • Options

June 1951: In honor of Alex Toth’s birthday today—and because it’s one of his best covers—this month it’s All-American Western #121 by Toth, with inks by Sy Barry, Dan Barry’s brother and an excellent artist himself. Toth was still working primarily with DC at this point, but would soon make Standard his biggest client. You can see hints of Toth becoming slightly more reductive in this cover, but for the most he was still showing his Noel Sickles influence in full force. Nice job by the colorist on the half-tones of the shadows on the wall of the building.

I freakin love this cover by Toth!!!
  • Options
    G.I. Combat #259
    November 1983
    Cover: Joe Kubert

G.I. Combat is a comic anthology of stories about American soldiers during World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and even the Cold War. The series was originally published by Quality Comics. After DC bought Quality Comics in 1956, G.I. Combat was one of the few comics they decided to keep. They continued the series until 1987, making it one of the last long-running war comics to come to an end.

• Options
    Always love seeing $1 books from that era, @bralinator !
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @bralinator Heck yea, Kubert does so well with movement and intention. Speaking of Kubert I just landed a grail recently. Todays book from my foreign collection is a recent acquisition. The Weird Western #12 National Bookstore Filipino edition is a real gem for multiple reasons. Massive rarity being a biggie though! First a little backstory on what a Philippines Bookstore edition is. There are 3 major bookstores in the Philippines that reprinted both DC, Marvel, and some other American publishers material. National Bookstore, Goodwill Bookstore, and Alemar which was the smallest of the three I think. These editions are in English and not Tagalog which is the Filipino language. And, most of the time the covers had very minimal changes to them with some exceptions. Most DC National Bookstores had pricing removed. You will notice the DC circle is blank. Also some text has been removed from the spine of the Weird Western. Other than that their doesn't seem to be much change.

photo WeirdWestern12_NationalBookstore_Phillapines.jpg

Until, you get to the back thats when the full house ad makes it damn clear you are not dealing with your standard DC.

photo WeirdWestern12_NationalBookstore_PhillapinesBack.jpg

Because of this we think many bookstore editions are hidden in comic shops around the world and in the US. Stashed away in comic shop backstock like gems waiting to be found. Many Filipino bookstore editions escaped the island with military personal stationed on or near the Philippines and the best conditioned copies seem to be these "escapees". These books are extremely rare! In fact this book that I recently received is only the 3rd example of this issue we have seen. If your interested I can write about why Filipino bookstore editions are the rarest bronze age books on the planet or you can trust me as I feel like I am still a noob here. LOL
  • Options
    Interesting stuff, @define999. I actually have some original art from Filipino comics—two pages by Alex Niño from the late ’60s/early ’70s with Tagalog text. I’d love to get a hold of some of those komiks put out by the Redondo studio someday.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Interesting stuff, @define999. I actually have some original art from Filipino comics—two pages by Alex Niño from the late ’60s/early ’70s with Tagalog text. I’d love to get a hold of some of those komiks put out by the Redondo studio someday.

Can be done... your best bet is Ebay.ph! There is some earlier Redondo stuff on there now.

ebay.ph/sch/i.html?_odkw=Alex+Ni%C3%B1o+komics&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=komics+Redondo&_sacat=0

I have contacts in the Phillapines.... if you can get me titles/issue numbers I might be able to help?
  • Options
    define999 said:

Can be done... your best bet is Ebay.ph! There is some earlier Redondo stuff on there now.

ebay.ph/sch/i.html?_odkw=Alex+Ni%C3%B1o+komics&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=komics+Redondo&_sacat=0

I have contacts in the Phillapines.... if you can get me titles/issue numbers I might be able to help?
    I appreciate that. I'll have to do some research and figure out what exactly I want to get.
  • Options
    Ok dokie! There is something about the Greek editions that always makes me smile. This is the Greek FF #112, but was printed in the early 80's I believe. There is a rugged simplicity to the way Mamouth the pub handled the title and call outs that I just cant help but smile. Enjoy.....

photo FF112_greek.jpg
  • Options
    define999 said:

Ok dokie! There is something about the Greek editions that always makes me smile. This is the Greek FF #112, but was printed in the early 80's I believe. There is a rugged simplicity to the way Mamouth the pub handled the title and call outs that I just cant help but smile. Enjoy.....

photo FF112_greek.jpg

Boy, they could have used some better letterers. That’s some sloppy work. Gaspar Saladino, this guy was not.
  • Options
    Superman (Vol 1) #63
    March 1950
    Cover art Al Plastino