Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Black Cat Mystery # 37
    July 1952
    Cover by Warren Kremer

Another pre-comics code horror comic cover for your viewing pleasure. This time from Harvey Comics. There is an entire lost world of vintage comics out there which is known to historians as Pre-Code Horror: an unregulated era from the late 40s to the early 50s before the industry was forced to self-censor with the Comics Code Authority. More to come just in time for Halloween!
  • Options
    OK, one last very early comic I owned -- the LP-sized Golden Records issue reprinting Journey Into Mystery #83.

Pencils: Jack Kirby
    Inks: Joe Sinnott

The original issue was from August 1962, but apparently this Golden Records version was first published in 1966. I also still own the Avengers #4 LP/issue (return of Cap). I'm sure these were in stores years after that, but these two issues probably fell sometime in the early range of my recently completed countdown, meaning they were yet another way that comic books helped me learn to read prior to starting school. I certainly listened to these incessently, following along with the LP.

I still have both comics and both LP's--that's my actual copy below -- though I currently have no way to play the LP's, and I doubt they would still be playable in any case.

Later, I owned many of the 45-sized Power Records, too, though I no longer have any of those. It's still fun to listen to these on the various websites that have them posted.

• Options
    Weird Wonder Tales #20
    January 1977
    Cover by Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott

HALLOWEEN IS 5 DAYS AWAY!

What a creative team! This reprint collection was edited by Roger Stern with stories by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby, Dick Ayers, John Tartaglione, Steve Ditko, and Mort Drucker.

Even had a Hostess Fruit Pies ad with the Hulk, art by Dave Cockrum.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    1977 opened with Kirby adding a new title to his roster in Black Panther, a bimonthly. Now he was up to three monthlies—Cap, 2001, and Eternals—and one bimonthly. He was also the regular cover artist on Avengers, Fantastic Four, Defenders, Invaders, Iron Man, Marvel’s Greatest Comics, and Thor—not to mention short runs on several others. But all his cover-only assignments would end that summer. Here’s one of his best that year, Defenders #43 (Jan. 1977), inked by Al Milgrom.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I'm out of wedding covers.

• Options
    Aquaman 18 (Nov.-Dec. 1964), by Nick Cardy.

• Options
    Action Comics #206 (July 1955), pencils by Wayne Boring, inks by Stan Kaye.

• Options
    One more in keeping with the season: Witching Hour #15 (June-July 1971), by Nick Cardy.

• Options
    In anticipation of Halloween, here's the cover I have on my custom calendar for October 2017 -- this is a scan of the rag that is my actual copy from childhood....

Loved all three of these stories as a kid -- A mummy story and an alien invasion story, both with art by Kirby/Ayers, and a sea creature story with art by Manfred Sommer. (All stories Lee or maybe Lieber, per GCD.) Fun stuff!

Monsters on the Prowl #12 (August 1971)
    Pencils: Jack Kirby; Marie Severin (alterations)
    Inks: George Klein; Marie Severin (alterations)
    (per GCD)

• Options
    Here’s the original cover for comparison: Journey into Mystery #61 (Oct. 1960), inked by George Klein. For the Prowl cover, they lowered the Gomdulla’s right arm, redrew the eyes to make them blank and more covered, and moved the word balloons. They also made the inks heavier and the colors darker to provide more of a sense of menace, and added a ceiling to the room. I think the alterations are a marked improvement to the effectiveness of the cover, except for maybe the lowering of the arm. The face is much more scary looking, the ceiling adds to the sense of being trapped by the monster, and the heavier inking and darker coloring definitely intensify the sense of danger. It’s just a shame they had to cover up Klein’s lovely inking of Gomdulla in the process.

• Options
    More haunted weddings! I know I've posted this before, but it's been a while, and it's such a good cover. Ghosts #1 (Sept.-Oct. 1971) by Nick Cardy.

• Options
    There are several more DC Comics wedding themed covers, but this one is probably closer to our Halloween theme

Lois Lane #108
    February 1971
    Cover by Dick Giordano

And for the curious, here are a handful of the several more wedding themed covers from this same title!

• Options
    We could probably go three straight months of posting one wedding cover a day. And that's just the Superman related titles!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    How about a palette cleanser then?

Is this spooky, or what?

World's Finest #139
    February 1964
    Cover by Curt Swan Dick Dillin & Sheldon Moldoff

• Options

Is this spooky, or what?

World's Finest #139
    February 1964
    Cover by Curt Swan

I don't think that’s Curt Swan. It's most likely Dick Dillin inked by Sheldon Moldoff. And I'm surprised editorial let that S shield go through—not on model for the time.
  • Options

Never looked at those covers all together before. For those who can't read the signatures, pencils by Chuck Patton, inks by Dick Giordano.
  • Options

Is this spooky, or what?

World's Finest #139
    February 1964

I don't think that’s Curt Swan. It's most likely Dick Dillin inked by Sheldon Moldoff. And I'm surprised editorial let that S shield go through—not on model for the time
    Thanks for the correction, Eric!
  • Options

Is this spooky, or what?

World's Finest #139
    February 1964

I don't think that’s Curt Swan. It's most likely Dick Dillin inked by Sheldon Moldoff. And I'm surprised editorial let that S shield go through—not on model for the time
    Thanks for the correction, Eric!
    No worries. Swan did become the regular cover artist on the book two issues later, and he had that gig for a while. It was that S shield that drew my attention, though. The DC offices were sticklers about that kind of thing, and I'm confident Swan would never have drawn it off-model.
  • Options
    Today’s haunted wedding cover is provided by the great George Wilson. Wilson never drew interiors, but he painted hundreds of covers for Western Publishing (owner of the Dell and Gold Key imprints) from the ’50s and into the ’70s. He also did a ton of paperback covers—mostly romance and western, but also the Hardy Boys mysteries I read as a kid. So here’s Grimm’s Ghost Stories #5 (Aug. 1972).

• Options

A stretch I know, but MAD was a comic at one point.
  • Options
    Mad’s just fine as far as I'm concerned. If it has sequential art, it’s fair game.
  • Options
    Today’s haunted wedding is a pre-Code book from Standard Comics, The Unseen #13 (Feb. 1954), penciled by Alex Toth (he may have inked it too, but it could be Mike Peppe, who inked a lot of Toth’s work during that time).

• Options

Today’s haunted wedding is a pre-Code book from Standard Comics, The Unseen #13 (Feb. 1954), penciled by Alex Toth (he may have inked it too, but it could be Mike Peppe, who inked a lot of Toth’s work during that time).

Great pick, Eric. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Last haunted wedding cover, this time going with the most classic of horror couples, Frankenstein’s Monster and his Bride! The Monster of Frankenstein #2 (Mar. 1973) by Mike Ploog.

• Options
    With only a few hours left, I have to burn off the rest of my Halloween covers.

This says Monster Comics on the cover, so I'm counting it.

The scary thing here is that people keep forgetting that Betty Boop is supposed to be like 14.
  • Options
    Just in time for the "witching hour" of Halloween, here are my final wedding/horror-themed covers for the season, presented chronologically.
    =======================================

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #4
    November, 1967
    Cover by Rocke Mastroserio

House of Secrets (Vol 1) #95
    January, 1972
    Cover by Nick Cardy

Witching Hour (Vol 1) #67
    January, 1977
    Cover by Ernie Chan

Ghosts (Vol 1) #63
    April, 1978