Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Jock on the Megazine
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    Today’s comic from The Stack is Four Color #345, Walter Lantz Andy Panda... in Scotland Yard (Aug.–Oct. 1951) with cover art by Dan Gormley. Gormley also penciled and inked the lead story. I don't know much about him, but a little digging revealed that he often provided finishes over John Stanley’s layouts. He was a humor artist primarily, though he did a bit of superhero work in the early ’40s as he was breaking in on such features as “The Arrow” and “The Green Mask.” The bulk of his work was done for Dell. I’d rank him as a very good artist. Not one of the top humor artists on the level of Barks, Walt Kelly, or Harry Lucey, but certainly in the next tier.

One other thing I like about this issue: no ads. Even the inside covers and the back cover are one-page stories. Unfortunately, I'm missing four pages out of the middle of the book. Time to go online to find out how the lead story ends!

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The weekly Belgian anthology comics magazine SPIROU 's take on the 2012 election craze:

Photobucket

Artist: Philippe Bercovici
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

The weekly Belgian anthology comics magazine SPIROU 's take on the 2012 election craze:

Photobucket

Artist: Philippe Bercovici

Who is the bellhop supposed to be?
  • WetRats said:

Who is the bellhop supposed to be?

I think that's Spirou.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Jim Lee
    Marc Silvestri

I can remember for a short while this issue from the Deathmate debacle actually was worth some decent cash. It was the first appearance of some of the Gen 13 teens. Now I have read all of Deathmate at least 3 times now. And this issue is the only "good" one in the run.

Yvel Guichet
    Bob Wiacek

Outta all the Deathmate issues this one took me the longest to get. I found all the "Gold logo" issues before I finally found a copy of this one. Not sure why,might be it came with Previews. And it seems all the comic shops I have been too in the Deep South used Capital City so they got Advance comics instead of Previews.

Rob Liefeld
    Danny Miki

To "celebrate" Rob taking a break from comics I picked out my favorite cover from him. I will admit that I have been slowly collecting all the various comics he put out through Image/Extreme Studios/Awesome comics/etc. Yeah overall they are pretty much crap. But they appeal to me in the same way Ed Wood films appeal to me.

William Joseph Dunn
    Rags Morales

This scan doesn't do this cover justice. It was one of Valiant's chromium covers and in person is pretty impressive. Now I have only read the last issue of the Geomancer series. And wasn't impressed by it. But got a copy of the first issue the other day in a bag of 2 comics plus a random trading card from Dollar Tree. The bags were marked as costing a buck. But rung up as 50 cents. Got a bunch of Crossgen stuff,one issue of Top Cows Battle of the Planets comic and #1 of Geomancer.

Valiant voice was a monthly newspaper style fan magazine all about Valiant. Back in 2008 when my cousin gave me all his comics I got a complete set of Valiant Voice. Didn't know till after I had cut a few up to use as posters that some of the later issues are hard to come by and in Valiant fan circles are stuff I could have used to trade for other Valiant stuff I want. Oh well. From what I remember this was the only issue with original art for the cover. The rest of them reprinted covers of various Valiant comics.
    dubbat138 said:

Jim Lee
    Marc Silvestri

I can remember for a short while this issue from the Deathmate debacle actually was worth some decent cash. It was the first appearance of some of the Gen 13 teens. Now I have read all of Deathmate at least 3 times now. And this issue is the only "good" one in the run.

Well, this fits right in with your horror theme.
    dubbat138 said:

Yvel Guichet
    Bob Wiacek

Outta all the Deathmate issues this one took me the longest to get. I found all the "Gold logo" issues before I finally found a copy of this one. Not sure why,might be it came with Previews. And it seems all the comic shops I have been too in the Deep South used Capital City so they got Advance comics instead of Previews.

We preferred Cap City at the shop I worked at in the early to mid-’90s. Diamond had terrible customer service even back then when they had legitimate competition. We ordered about 80% of our books from Cap City, and the rest from Diamond—we didn't want to be reliant on one distributor—and I always used Advance over Previews when deciding what to order for myself.
    dubbat138 said:

Valiant voice was a monthly newspaper style fan magazine all about Valiant. Back in 2008 when my cousin gave me all his comics I got a complete set of Valiant Voice. Didn't know till after I had cut a few up to use as posters that some of the later issues are hard to come by and in Valiant fan circles are stuff I could have used to trade for other Valiant stuff I want. Oh well. From what I remember this was the only issue with original art for the cover. The rest of them reprinted covers of various Valiant comics.

IIRC, when Valiant got really hot, we would actually sell five or six copies of this. Once the bubble burst, you couldn't give them away. I got rid of mine years ago.
    Today’s comic from The Stack is another early DC licensed property—which they picked up when Fawcett went out of business, thanks primarily to their lawsuit against Fawcett—Hopalong Cassidy #99 (March 1955). Hopalong first appeared in short stories and novels by Clarence Mulford in 1904. The character was re-popularized in 1935 with a series of 66 (!) films (and later TV and radio series) starring William Boyd, and, of course, Boyd’s likeness is used in the comics. Unfortunately, there’s no Gabby Hayes as sidekick Windy Halliday in this issue.

The first two stories are run-of-the-mill Hopalong stories. Somebody breaks the law and skips town, and Hoppy has to track them down. But the last story could only have been told in the comics. The bad guys rob stagecoaches on the back of a giant eagle! But the coolest thing about this issue? All three stories were penciled by a young Gene Colan! And they were inked by Ray Burnley (brother of Superman and Starman artist, Jack Burnley), who was best known for his inking of Curt Swan in Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen.

• dubbat138 said:

Jim Lee
    Marc Silvestri

I thought the crossover was interesting, and I remember that half was produced by Image and the other half produced by Valiant. The Image contribution was ugly and difficult to understand visually. I remember picking up the Valiant issues and right away thinking, 'Oh. That's what's going on!'.
    Nick Percival does 2000AD Zombies
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited October 2012
    Man, that 90's art still makes me cringe. I got so I wouldn't even look at the new books wall. I'd just pick up what was on my at-the-time-tiny pull list and flee the store.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

The Micronauts, one of Marvel's many licensed properties, was something of a surprise hit that transcended the toys it was based on, thanks largely to writer Bill Mantlo, and which boasted some top talent during its run: Gil Kane, Kelly Jones, and Patrick Broderick. But I think the definitive artist on the run was its first one, who provided the above cover: Michael Golden.

The first twelve issues of Micronauts are frekin sweer!
    Clint Langley draws Hammerstein

Ron Lim
    Jimmy Palmiotti

Gene Colan
    Tom Palmer

Howard Chaykin

Howard Chaykin
    Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague
    Caliban said:

Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague

The Simpering Detective! One of my favorite 2000AD characters. He was initially conceived by Frazer Irving, then fleshed out by Simon Spurrier and Frazer.
    Today’s comic from The Stack is Calling All Kids #26 (August 1949), the final issue of the series published by Parents’ Magazine Press. And good riddance too. The artwork, while not terrible, was second-rate, as were the stories, which seem to have been aimed at very young readers.