Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Marvel/DC story Arcs

So I have been into comics about 2 years now and I am looking for some great story arcs to read. All characters from Marvel and Dc are welcome. If you could maybe give me the Story Arc title and what issues its collected in or if its in trade that would be "totally Awesome". Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Here's some of my favorites - All are in trade Format:

DC:
    Batman - A Death in the Family, A Lonely Place of Dying, the Knightfall Trilogy, Contagion, Cataclysm, No Man's Land, Dark Knight Returns, Year One, and pretty much all the New 52 Batman (Snyder/Capullo) books.

ANY of the Earth One books - Superman, Batman, Teen Titans, and I'm sure the forthcoming Wonder Woman book are GREAT takes on the characters

Superman - Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? All-Star Superman

Justice League - JLA Year One is a great way to introduce yourself to the nuts and bolts of the DC Universe without focusing on the "Big Three" (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman). Grant Morrison's run (JLA) is also excellent.

Marvel:
    X-Men Titles: God Loves, Man Kills give you the basic idea behind the X-Men mythos. Fall of the Mutants, Age of Apocalypse, Inferno...all are good story arcs...but you might also consider investing in some cheaper b&w Essentials volume to really get a feel for this exhausting bunch of muties! :)

Elektra:Assassin - the best Elektra story hands down.

Avengers: Everyone points to Kree-Skrull War as a major storyline, but I'm partial to Korvac Saga, anything from the Busiek era, or anything you can find with the West Coast Avengers.

There's so much more and I'm sure others will chime in here...basically look for something that you think will resonate with you and dive in feet first! :)
  • Options
    I will add these to my list. Im currently compiling an excel spreadsheet with the best story arcs from my favorite characters. When I finish... Maybe its better phrased IF I FINISH haha I will post it on here and see what everyone thinks. Im trying to get over my fear of continuity by focusing on story arcs. Working well so far!!!
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    * Daredevil, when Bendis took over as writer
    * Captain America, when Brubaker took over as writer
    * Astonishing X-Men 1-24 (written by Whedon)

Those issues encompass several arcs but I think you have to read the full runs to appreciate them.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Civil War is actually a great jumping on point.

Secret Empire from the earaly 70's is a great arc by Engleheart.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited October 2015
    Civil War is great.
    I'm not sure anyone could ask for a better year than Marvel had then; maybe 3 of Marvel's best events ever.
    Civil War
    Annihilation
    Planet Hulk

edit: plus an off the chain great Brubaker Daredevil.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

Civil War is great.
    I'm not sure anyone could ask for a better year than Marvel had then; maybe 3 of Marvel's best events ever.
    Civil War
    Annihilation
    Planet Hulk

edit: plus an off the chain great Brubaker Daredevil.

Your right. That was probably one of the funniest times I've ever had reading Marvel.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Your right. That was probably one of the funniest times I've ever had reading Marvel.

Is that why they're called "funny" books?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2015

Mr_Cosmic said:

Is that why they're called "funny" books?

• Options
    I'm more old school, so my picks would be:

Galactus Saga - Fantastic Four 48-50
    Kree-Skrull War - Avengers 93-94
    Dark Phoenix - X-Men 135-138
    Miller's Wolverine mini 1-4
    Watchmen 1-12
    Elektra Saga - Daredevil 168-182
    Dark Knight Rises (previously mentioned)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Civil War is great.
    Civil War
    Annihilation
    Planet Hulk

Agreed.

The Brubaker "Winter Soldier" run in Captain America is right there too, imo.

• Options
    The best superhero story, in my opinion, is Miller & Mazzucchelli's DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN. I'm sure it's in trade. it was my introduction to Daredevil, back in the day, and I had no problem understanding the characters or situations, and it has stood at the top of my "all-time list" since then.

chris

ps - gotta think on others, but I'll be back.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137

The best superhero story, in my opinion, is Miller & Mazzucchelli's DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN. I'm sure it's in trade. it was my introduction to Daredevil, back in the day, and I had no problem understanding the characters or situations, and it has stood at the top of my "all-time list" since then.

chris

ps - gotta think on others, but I'll be back.

I could go on and on about Born Again, but I'll save it for now as hopefully soon we will hear @wildpigcomics do just that in a future Spotlight episode.

When considering smaller arcs rather than long runs of books, I can't think of one better than Born Again. Hell, just eliminate any quantifier from the discussion. No hyperbole here- it is a masterpiece.
  • Options
    Anything at either company by Jack Kirby.

That'll get you started, since it got both Marvel and DC started.

Yeah. I went there.