Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Tablet Thread

jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
So I'm finally looking into buying a tablet. My wife wants to get one to keep our daughter occupied on our flight to Palm Springs in July. While my wife and I both would love to get the new iPad, we're just not sure about the price and I have been doing a bit of research on the Nook and they seem pretty cool as well. I wanted to start a discussion about the various tablets that are on the market and what people like and what they don't like about the various tablets. Maybe it will help me figure out what to get. Do people on the boards have a Nook? What are your thoughts? Do you like them? Do you think the for the extra money the iPad is worth it? I would love to know. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Our family uses the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad2 - and we like both equally. There are hardly any differences (a reason why both companies keep suing each other....) Some time ago a main difference has been the availability of apps - but by now most apps are developed for Android and iOS

According to practically all tech magazines and sites the new iPad3 tops all the lists. So - if I'd had some spare cash I'd buy the iPad3 today.

Apple products - at least in Switzerland - tend to cost 30-40% more than other brands in similar fields.
  • Options
    Yeah. The iPad 3 looks amazing and at $500, it damn well better be. See, I'm looking at the Nook and it's so much less but I'm sure it does so much less as well but for my needs it could be a good fit. I'm just not sure.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    We have an iPad 2 and love it. Primarily used by my wife and our 2 year old daughter. A friend bought a Kindle Fire on the price rationale and then quickly regretted it and ended up in an iPad. I would say that as much as possible, don't base your decision on price alone until you test drive both items. Understand your use cases too and which are good fits.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I picked up the iPad3 as a gift for myself, and I'm enjoying it. I use it to read digital comics, watch movies, read the news, take credit card payments from people at conventions I work, and play the occasional game. Really don't regret the cost...
  • Options
    I picked up a Motorola Xoom intending for it just to be a comics reader, and have no issues at all with it on that front. Yes, the ipads are technically superior, but for me the Xoom does exactly what I want and ask of it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    We have an iPad 2 and couldn't be happier. Having the ability to transfer info between our iPad, iPhones, and iPods is a big plus.
  • Options
    i love my kindle fire. i use it to read comics (i can go into detail with that if you'd like). i surf the web, which for some websites that aren't optimized to it, it can be glitchy. i have my email sent to it where i can reply, fw, and send new emails out. i listen to a little music on it at certain times of the day. i play a couple games, such as words with friends and a tower defense. before getting the fire i was playing words with friends on my desktop all the time. now i play that game 99% of the time using the fire.
  • Options
    @brydeemer, that's a very helpful post and one that makes me rethink not getting the iPad. I never even considered getting the Android Tablet. Just the Nook but from what you said, the iPad may be the way to go. That's a lot to ponder. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    After reading and hearing how amazing the resolution on the Ipad3 is I was waiting for the 10 inch Kindle Fire but now I am not so sure. I just wanted a reader and viewer but if I get a keyboard with an Ipad then I got a laptop. I just want to read the New 52 Batman so badly on it!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    And I'm not coming down on the Kindle or Nook, if it seems that way. I had a 1st-edition Kindle and used the heck out of it. I just think this is really the next level.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I've got the ipad 2 and really enjoy it with comics and everything, still using my 2nd edition Kindle too, I like the e-ink look for reading books.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    i agree...get an iPad. if money's a bit tight and you're on a budget? get the ipad 2, for now. apple really doesn't quit cold turkey on older iterations of their current tech. they keep it in the market enough for the older tech to be the entry-level experience to all things apple. an example of this would be the 3gs and the original ipad.

i've got an ipad 2 and even after seeing ipad 3, i wasn't so inclined to "trade up" as it were. get an ipad 2, see how you end up using it apart from how you intended to initially.
  • Options
    Note that the new iPad is thicker and heavier than the previous version and many Android tablets on the market.
    If I thought I was going to spend significant time reading on a tablet, weight and thickness would be at the top of my comparison list; probably even above screen resolution and battery life.

This appeared to me to be the first time Apple made a design sacrifice when introducing new functionality (the extremely high resolution screen). It is thicker, heavier, and hotter under strenuous use (long periods of high end gaming), due to the graphics processing, than the iPad 2. Seemed to me their magical ways slipped just a tiny bit with this release. Funny how many of us have come to expect miracles from this company though.

They're still a long ways off, but I am so impressed with my Windows Phone that I am definitely anxious to see tablets with Windows 8 later this year.

Also a little interested in this 13" tablet that Toshiba is going to release. Comics on that huge screen could be pretty cool if you don't mind sacrificing some of the portability.
  • Options
    I have a Le Pan T970 tablet. It's got a 9.7" display, Android 2.2, and came in at $200. It's awesome.
  • Options
    Looks like the iPad is the way to go.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    We have 3 Kindle Fires in my household because they were 'on sale' at Wal-Mart a few months ago ($50 WM gift card with purchase). We all love them. One is supposed to be mine, but the wife has taken it over. My solution is to buy an iPad 3 in the next few months!
  • Options
    HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    I would say it's basically between a Kindle Fire and iPad. I actually prefer the size of a Kindle Fire especially for reading comics, but the iOS store is far superior for games. Everything else kind of cancels each other out.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    In regards to the thickness/weight increase in the new iPad: it's not even noticeable. Hold both of them in your hand and you won't know the difference.

Turn them on and look at the screens and you will never want to look at the old iPad again. Especially for reading. For all your eye can tell, you are looking at an actual printed page, not a digital screen.

Yes, Apple made a sacrifice, but it was totally worth it. Nothing else you've ever looked at even comes close to the resolution of the new iPad. Worth every penny.

Bry
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    Before I got my iPhone in January, I was certainly on the Kindle Fire bandwagon, mainly for the cost but also after test using one at Best Buy, and thinking it does well for what I would mainly use it for, which is comic and Kindle book reading. Plus, the Kindle Fire is lighter and easier to hold than the iPads I test drove. Then I got the iPhone 4S and fell in love.

I still enjoy using my regular Kindle 3G for reading but I find myself using my iPhone in the evening for both comic book reading and the Kindle app. Plus, when they released the iPad 3, I was a little put off that Amazon did not release their Kindle Fire 3G model, to include a slightly bigger screen, to compete with Apple. The more I thought about it, I do find myself lending towards an iPad purchase. Not just for the sake of staying consistent with my iPhone use but for all the other advantages that others, especially Bry, have stated so well. I can’t afford one at this moment, but it’s my plan to get one pretty soon.
  • Options
    In regards to the thickness/weight increase in the new iPad: it's not even noticeable. Hold both of them in your hand and you won't know the difference.

Turn them on and look at the screens and you will never want to look at the old iPad again. Especially for reading. For all your eye can tell, you are looking at an actual printed page, not a digital screen.

Yes, Apple made a sacrifice, but it was totally worth it. Nothing else you've ever looked at even comes close to the resolution of the new iPad. Worth every penny.

Bry
    I wouldn't hold the new iPad alongside an old iPad, I would hold it alongside an Asus Transformer Prime, and I would notice the difference.

I've seen the new iPad display. It is pretty neat. My personal preference is for thinner, lighter, and more battery life.

Frankly, as neat as it is, I think the new iPad display is overkill. I don't agree that the sacrifices were worth it; but to each his own.
  • Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    Can anyone recommend the best way to submit a DCBS order using only the iPad? I used to do the excel upload but the power supply on my laptop just quit and I'm not sure if I'm going to replace it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Well, I've placed orders on both my pc and Ipad and both are done the same way.

I simply go to each publisher's section and click on the comics I want. They are placed in my cart and then I check out.
  • Options
    Well...between all the Windows RT tablet reveals at Computex, and the two major announcements from Microsoft this month, I am more confident than ever that my decision to wait for a Windows 8 tablet was the best thing for me.

It will be another few months, but I will have a Windows 8 tablet, Windows Phone, and Windows 8 desktop. Finally all in one ecosystem without a complete reinvestment in hardware or software.

Anyone else interested in Surface?
    Thin, light, 10.6" screen, and apps shared across all my devices. I like it, but will probably go with Asus, or one of the other hardware vendors.

I can't wait to see what developers in the digital comics industry create when they can develop for Windows 8 on tablets, desktops, and phones simultaneously.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the Nook doesn't support Comixology, if that important to you.
  • Options
    13" tablet anyone?
    A review for the Toshiba Excite is up.

I don't know...a bit on the heavy side. Could be nice for those double-page spreads though!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I saved up enough for an ipad but now have to drop some that money into car repairs. I can either continue to save or I can get the Kindle Fire HD with the 8.9" screen.

Anybody using that model of the Fire and does anybody know if the Comixology reader operates the same on the fire as it does for an iOS device?
  • Options
    HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    Greg said:

Anybody using that model of the Fire and does anybody know if the Comixology reader operates the same on the fire as it does for an iOS device?

I can't speak for the newer Kindle Fire, but I did once have a Fire and now have an iPad. The app for Comixology is far superior in the iPad than Fire. That's not to say that it isn't good, but it's far more refined. Reading comics is the same but navigating the app/store is different.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    @Hellsfire, thank you. reading is what I was most concerned with.