Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best American Mystery Stories 2015, and I'm in it o_O

Some of you -- a small handful of you, maybe fewer -- might know I do a bit of writing (if you aren't already asking, who the hell is this guy?). At the very end of last year, I had a short crime story published in Needle, a magazine of Noir, which is edited by Steve Weddle (read his book, "Country Hardball," it's great) and, recently, has had covers from Scott Morse, one of my favorite cartoonists. This was a big, damn deal for me.

Anyway. That same story, "Silence," was selected as an honorable mention for this year's Best American Mystery Stories, meaning it was not reprinted (only the top 20 are), but it was recognized in the back, along with others like Patti Abbott and Lawrence Block. This is huge. Out of 3-5,000 stories read for possibly inclusion, I was one of the 50 chosen, and I doubtless knocked someone off the list, as my story did not reach the editor until after the requested deadline because the anthology wasn't published until December 31.

I'm feeling pretty good about this. But, it also means I need to start pushing myself harder with my writing and try to build on this. So, onward and upward. And thanks for letting me indulge and share.

chris

Comments