Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1579 Talkback - Previews

Count your blessings and read your Previews! We go through the November catalog for items shipping starting in January. (1:21:17)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    IDW
    Gi Joe Classic vol 17 - this is the second "Classic" volume of new IDW material that continues where the Marvel series left off. Written by Larry Hama

A new volume of Corto Maltese - Celtic Tales. These are worth checking out if you get a chance.

Lazarus volume 4 - I think this is a new trade of Lazarus.

Boom
    I can't emphasise this enough Big Trouble in Little China is great.

Viz
    One Punch Man vol. 4 - I've read 1 & 2 and really liked them.
  • Options
    Definitely down with the Corto Maltese. And this one's a story I haven't read before. Also excited about the wrap-up Prophet mini-series. Brandon Graham’s far-flung future take on the character has been really good.

I'm really interested in the Kelly Green collection. It's collecting all five albums Leonard Starr and Stan Drake did in the series (for a French publisher). It's beautiful stuff, but I've never been able to read any of them. I've seen a few pages here and there, but that's it. It's a little pricey, but I may have to pick it up.

I'm also eyeing the Art of Jay Ward Productions book.

And since @ShaneKelly wasn't on the episode, I will point out the new Muppets action figures.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited November 2015
    @wildpigcomics Bitch Planet is well worth checking out. Sadly the trade does not include the excellent backmatter but the story is certainly compelling on it's own. Kelly Sue DeConnick does an admirable job reconciling the exploitive nature of a 70's women-in-prison style story with a progressive feminist sensibility.

One thing that immediately caught my eye because of one of the creators involved is Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot/Katana #1, which will be the first of a six-issue limited series consisting of 48 pagers. Mike W. Barr will be writing the Katana portions of these books. Ever since I read Camelot 3000, Mike W. Barr's name has been one that I regularly seek out when looking for new material to read.
  • Options
    Regarding Howard Porter, it was announced he was leaving JL 3001 to take over on Superman since Jr Jr left for Dark Knight Master Race.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Jr Jr left

Yes!!

for Dark Knight Master Race.

D'oh!!
  • Options
    Another great episode, gents.

@wildpigcomics Lone Wolf & Cub is phenomenal. For a long time Neil Gaiman's Sandman was my favorite long-form comic book series. Then Dark Horse got the rights to publish the entirety of LW&C, and after those 28, 300-page volumes, I can easily say it's my favorite long-form comic series, and one of the most impressive comic series ever. The premise is so simple, and each chapter follows, at its core, the same pattern, but the way Koike & Kojima manage to change that up in the details, for dozens of chapters, is impressive. And when the overarcing narrative of revenge finally comes together at the end, it's one of the most satisfying endings I've ever read.
    And the art is just some of the most gorgeous in any comic. I've used a lot of superlatives here. But they fit. This is an amazing book. Read it.

Prophet: Earth War. What Brandon Graham, Simon Roy, Giannis Milogiannis, and company did in their rethinking of Rob Liefeld's character is pretty damn great. This, for me, when it was coming out -- concurrent with Saga and Velvet and others, mind you -- was my favorite contemporary comic. it's grand science fiction on a huge scale, that is just fun and full of insane ideas, every single issue. Love it and can't wait for this final mini-series to cap this story off

Copra - I must echo @Adam_Murdough's comments. Suicide Squad was my favorite of the post-Legends DC titles (including JLI and Flash), and Michel Fiffe has completely nailed the feel of that series with this pastiche. A great book that more people should be reading.

Thanks again for all your hard work with the podcast. It's much appreciated.

-chris