Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1582 - Previews

Although it's been said many times, many ways: It's Previews! We go through the December catalog for items shipping starting in February. Plus, during the intermission, we talk for a bit with our old friend J.K. Woodward and new friend Chris Kipiniak about their monster of a digital comic, Behemoth! (1:59:20)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    The David Walker writing PM&IF is indeed the same David Walker writing Shaft.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Here are a few things that might be of interest to a few people

Darkhorse
    Usagi Yojimbo Saga volume 6

IDW
    TMNT Ongoing Collection volume 2 - These are complete collections of IDWs TMNT work in proper reading order.

Wayward - @wildpigcomics Chris I know you love Japanese culture. Have you tried Wayward? It's one of my favorite books. if you can get the single issues the back matter is on Japanese spirits, history, and culture.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Part 2

Marvel
    Master of Kung-fu Omnibus vol. 1 (of 4) - get this while you can because it will probably not get a reprint for a long time.

Droids and Ewoks Omnibus - I don't often do this, but..
    if you really want to read this material (it's not good) find a copy of the Darkhorse Droids and Ewoks Omnibus on Amazon or eBay. It's a reprint of the Star comics series.

Other
    Big Trouble in Little China - still one of the best books being printed
    Ultraman volume 3 - I liked the first volume
    One Punch Man volume 1 - I loved this manga. I'm not sure where the series is heading, but it could be a really interesting series
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Thanks for the episode! Great interview too.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited December 2015
    I might be alone but I found Batman Odyssey to be great and hilarious in a possibly unintentional way. And when I say "possibly unintentional", that's NOT code for "yeah Neal Adams is just crazy and it's 'so bad it's good'... to laugh at". Because I honestly do not know how the heck Adams himself saw the work. It's definitely multi-layered and there is an intelligence at work in it. But it also is totally wacky in a way that I just found irresistible. For anyone who gave up on it after the first couple issues, I'm tellin' ya, if you take the whole thing in, it is a hell of a ride. Extremely unique. Adams' art was at times as good as any interior work he's ever done... while at other times it seems like he had fill-ins or rushed inking on certain pages. I don't know. Overall I really had a blast with that comic, though. I couldn't tell if I was laughing WITH it or laughing AT it, but soon I just didn't care, went with it, and had a great time. Certainly not for everyone and not the sort of comic you just pick up and expect to enjoy without mentally preparing yourself. But its storytelling is a real trip; always keeps you guessing; demands that the reader become actively engaged.
  • Options
    I have the Neal Adams Batman Omnibus on order from Amazon for just over half off, which it still is priced at. It includes Odyssey. Really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Elsiebub said:

I might be alone but I found Batman Odyssey to be great and hilarious in a possibly unintentional way. And when I say "possibly unintentional", that's NOT code for "yeah Neal Adams is just crazy and it's 'so bad it's good'... to laugh at". Because I honestly do not know how the heck Adams himself saw the work. It's definitely multi-layered and there is an intelligence at work in it. But it also is totally wacky in a way that I just found irresistible. For anyone who gave up on it after the first couple issues, I'm tellin' ya, if you take the whole thing in, it is a hell of a ride. Extremely unique. Adams' art was at times as good as any interior work he's ever done... while at other times it seems like he had fill-ins or rushed inking on certain pages. I don't know. Overall I really had a blast with that comic, though. I couldn't tell if I was laughing WITH it or laughing AT it, but soon I just didn't care, went with it, and had a great time. Certainly not for everyone and not the sort of comic you just pick up and expect to enjoy without mentally preparing yourself. But its storytelling is a real trip; always keeps you guessing; demands that the reader become actively engaged.

I haven't read it, but I also preordered the Neal Adams Batman omni which includes volume 1 & 2 of Batman Odyssey, so I look forward to checking it out and drawing my own conclusions. I was actually very surprised that I found it cheaper through Amazon than DCBS. In fact, I had ordered it through DCBS and then they retroactively increased the price, so I cancelled after finding it cheaper through Amazon.
  • Options
    @wildpigcomics, the reason you didn't see anything new from TwoMorrows in the Previews catalog is that they forgot to list the three magazines we solicited. So next month’s catalog is going to have eight (!) TwoMorrows magazines listed. Thanks, Diamond!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited December 2015
    @bralinator @luckymustard
    Wow that is a great price on Amazon for that Neal Adams Omnibus. It will probably be either 45% or 50% off at Instocktrades during its first week of release, so I've been planning to order through them, because I like to support IST and because their packaging is superb. But that Amazon price is tempting. I'm probably still going to hold out for IST, because I'd rather pay $1.26-$6.26 more and just not have to worry about it arriving in less than perfect condition.

More to the point, yeah, the Neal Adams Batman Omnibus has been on my list for a while. I sold my other HCs (including Odyssey) once I saw that this was going to include EVERYTHING Adams did in an oversized format. I cannot freaking wait to have that huge tome on my shelf. The fact that they included Odyssey is the icing on the cake for me.