Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1588 Talkback - Comic Talk

Now with 100% more PANTS! Everyone's favorite loud-laughin' Letterman-lover has survived another busy Christmas season, and he's got a lot on his mind! With occasional interjections from the other Geeks, Pants takes this episode to run down his bullet-list of backlogged banter on some of his favorite topics, from Doctor Who to original art, plus convention stories, quickie reviews of recent comics, and one scatological sidebar worthy of Uncle Sal! (1:55:10)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Pants is back! w00t!
  • Options
    Pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
  • Options
    In all seriousness, it was so great having Pants back. His enthusiasm is so infectious. I listen to podcasts when I walk everyday and I know for a fact I was grinning ear to ear listening to this episode. Welcome back, Pants. You were sorely missed.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    It IS nice to have Pants back and as has been said above and as I've said before, his enthusiasm for what he's watching and reading is fantastic! BUT...arrrrgh! Too much Dr. Who talk. Maybe I'm just in a "Dr. Who Cares?" mood.
    Nice to hear Danielle again, too. Long time, no hear. The chair was pretty distracting though...
    Well, I hope you guys win the longest running podcast!
    Wha--?!? Pants talking about farting? Must be that where the Uncle Sal influence comes in. LOL!
    Oh, Pants asked a good question about the DCBS clearance on the Convergence titles. I didn't read all of them, but I agree with Shane and Murd on the ones I read.
    Anyway, fun episode. I hope to hear you all again soon!
  • Options
    Did Pants get the Lego Dr. Who set?
  • Options
    And, hey, Bill ... when the wife says the chair is broken ... IT'S BROKEN!
  • Options
    @Pants
    So I take it C2E2 isn't on the docket for 2016? You will be missed. I love running into you there.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    @Pants - c'mon man, the one year I plan to head to C2E2, and you are not planning? Rasser Frasser!

Joking aside, it sure what nice to have you back on the show!

And someone, please get Danielle a chair that doesn't drop her.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Is this episode available on the home page? I'm seeing the Star Wars movie review episode but nothing more recent.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    RickM said:

Is this episode available on the home page? I'm seeing the Star Wars movie review episode but nothing more recent.

Click the “Episodes” button in the upper-right corner.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

@Pants - 'nuff said!

Ok, a bit more...

It was great to have Pants back on and it was also nice to hear some thoughts on current books. I know the guys are busy(especially over Christmas) but the current comic talk has been thin.

I have to agree with @Pants that the new Daredevil just isn't cutting it. I've always been a reader who could never stick with Daredevil long term but I can tell that his run isn't one I'll be giving much time to. On the other hand I'm really enjoying Squadron Supreme. I think @Adam_Murdough makes some good points but the "heroes from dead alternate Earths" angle is the sort of thing I fall for. Hopefully the book can last long enough to get into a good groove. Another book that I'm digging is The Ultimates. I think it's getting lost in the "dozens" of Avengers books. Personally, I think it has more of a FF vibe than an Avengers book as they're dealing with crazy, cosmic level threats.

A series not being announced as a mini is just a cop-out by the publisher so they don't have to say it was canceled.

Anyways, great episode guys!
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

@Pants - 'nuff said!

On the other hand I'm really enjoying Squadron Supreme. I think @Adam_Murdough makes some good points but the "heroes from dead alternate Earths" angle is the sort of thing I fall for. Hopefully the book can last long enough to get into a good groove. Another book that I'm digging is The Ultimates. I think it's getting lost in the "dozens" of Avengers books. Personally, I think it has more of a FF vibe than an Avengers book as they're dealing with crazy, cosmic level threats.
    Agree on both points, especially Squadron Supreme, which I have been enjoying immensely. Matter of fact, I voted for their execution of Namur as the biggest moment of 2015 in the CGS awards. It was such a ruthless and shocking moment.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Great episode. I had to listen is segments and there were a couple of items early on that I wanted to comment on and then didn't remember what they were when I got to where I could comment.

One area that I do remember was with regard to the lamentations over the lack of super hero novels that followed the Once Crowded Sky talk. There are a few different things out there, but the one series that anyone looking for super hero novels should be reading is the Wild Cards series edited by George RR Martin (Game of Thrones). It is a mosaic world with quite a few contributing authors where an alien virus goes off over New York just after WWII resulting in much death, many disfigurations and some pretty cool superpowers.

There is the occasional misfire among the books/stories, but overall, it is an incredibly satisfying read.
  • Options
    I recommend Wild Cards as well.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The first three books are very strong at least. After that it got a little hit or miss from story to story. I've heard it got better at some point, but I didn't stick around long enough to know if that's true or not.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Mr_Cosmic said:

The first three books are very strong at least. After that it got a little hit or miss from story to story. I've heard it got better at some point, but I didn't stick around long enough to know if that's true or not.
    Book 4 - Aces Abroad, is the toughest slog in my opinion. Book 5 Down and Dirty had some rough patches, but after that, it was pretty much smooth rolling.
  • Options
    Dani's chair kept reminding me of the sound AOL Instant Messenger used to make when a user signs off. :D
  • Options
    Great to hear Pants on the show again. His genuineness and passion for those things that interest him are great character traits and always add some additional fun to the mix! Also glad to hear from Dani and am glad she made it through the episode relatively unscathed. I look forward to checking out some of the Marvel titles like Squadron Supreme when they appear on Marvel Unlimited.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I have to agree with @Pants that the new Daredevil just isn't cutting it. I've always been a reader who could never stick with Daredevil long term but I can tell that his run isn't one I'll be giving much time to.

I'm still holding out on the new Marvel books until I get Secret Wars #9 in a few weeks. I'm also way behind on my podcast listening, so I'll probably catch up around mid-February on the discussion and Soule's DD, but this is certainly a bummer to hear.. I like a lot of Soule's work and after the mixed bag and disappointing ending to Waid's run, I was hoping for good things.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I have to agree with @Pants that the new Daredevil just isn't cutting it. I've always been a reader who could never stick with Daredevil long term but I can tell that his run isn't one I'll be giving much time to.

I'm still holding out on the new Marvel books until I get Secret Wars #9 in a few weeks. I'm also way behind on my podcast listening, so I'll probably catch up around mid-February on the discussion and Soule's DD, but this is certainly a bummer to hear.. I like a lot of Soule's work and after the mixed bag and disappointing ending to Waid's run, I was hoping for good things.
    The new Daredevil title isn't bad by any means, and I'm enjoying Garney’s art much more than Brian apparently is, but I'm not getting the same level of excitement from it as a lot of the other new Marvel titles, or as I did when Waid and Rivera/Martin took over. The new villain has potential, but so far he's just another villain, and I think that's a big part of the problem with the book—the villain hasn't really been shown to be a major threat to Daredevil.

I don't want to say much more so as not to spoil anything, but it's just been a slow start. It’s only been a couple of issues, but we haven't really seen DD doing much DD stuff, and we haven't really seen Matt doing much lawyer stuff—the result being that the book hasn't really established its identity yet. With Waid’s run, you knew from the first few pages exactly what the book was going for. I'm going to give it till the end of this first story arc, but with so much other stuff I'm really enjoying, I'll probably end up dropping it after that.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    WOW! That was a Pantsathon!