Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1597 Talkback - Off the Racks: Power Man & Iron Fist #1, Shaft #1, and Snowfall #1

The Geeks turn up their collars and head down to the cold, hard streets of Reviewsville in this Off the Racks episode, featuring Marvel's Power Man and Iron Fist #1, Dynamite's Shaft: Imitation of Life #1, and Image's Snowfall #1. Plus bonus reviews!

Listen here! And check the CGS App for the return of Bonus Content!

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2016
    Glad Sanford’s art in PM&IF worked better for you in the context of the story, @wildpigcomics. As I said in an earlier episode thread, I think he's the perfect fit for the series. And issue #2 was great too. Too quote Chris quoting Jamie D., buy, buy, buy, buy!

In regards to Tombstone’s appearance, @Adam_Murdough, yeah, he should have had the filed teeth, but I think the overall appearance was fantastic. All too often Tombstone has been drawn so generically that he appears like just another white supervillain. I think it's telling that if you Google “who should play Tombstone,” the first actor that pops up is Ron Perlman. It may be somewhat stereotypical for an African-American character to have larger lips, but when that character also has white skin and a crew cut, I think giving Tombstone a facial structure that is more identifiable as “black”—not just the lips, but the cheekbones and brow—is a good idea.
  • Options
    Didn't read Shaft, but am definitely in agreement on Snowfall being a pants. I'm a fan of the post-apocalyptic / dystopian genre and think in general I'm an easy mark for this type of thing, but I was very disappointed. The artwork was "meh" to use Dani's word. Seemed "cartoonish" for lack of a better word (which I know sounds stupid, since it's a comic book).

I liked Power Man and Iron Fist. Hadn't really read any of it before this, so I can't comment on how Danny Rand's personality was portrayed here. I give it a buy-row.
  • Options
    Re: Danny Rand’s personality in PM&IF, I concur with Chris in that Danny is just excited to be back with his best (of very few) friend in the world. Maybe it helps that I've always preferred Iron Fist as a yin-and-yang partner to Luke Cage to his being a solo hero.
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    This episode made me go back and read PM&IF #1 again. They're two of my all-time favorite characters, whether solo or as a team. I sooooo wanted to like this book, but the artwork is just not my taste. I'm all for stylized or exaggerated art ( the recent 'Iron Fist: Living Weapon' series was very well done ), but this is just another reboot where the artwork was totally sub-par to the story ( She-Hulk, Black Knight, Hercules, etc... ) Hate to be that critical, but seems to be a trend in most Marvel books that do NOT have Star Wars in the title.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm a bit put off by the artwork too. It is very stylized and certainly serves the story, but it has a certain aesthetic that doesn't suit my varied tastes.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I loved PM&IF. Tombstone looked great; he usually looks like a crappy underling vampire. Here he looked like a crime boss.

I'm with @nweathington on this buybuybuy
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    Add me to the chorus of PM&IF fans. Love the artwork- I think it's great for this title and for this story. I'm not sure how I would describe it except to say I do see a very 70s feel in it, if that makes any sense. Not saying the art is a style FROM the 1970s, but just that it reflects a lot of the over the top things that characterize 70s culture (all of which I really enjoy), and that's why I like it.
  • Options
    gingpogingpo Posts: 21
    I only read PM&IF. I was a nervous about the art at first but liked it with the story. The story was okay in my opinion. It didn't really grab me that completely but it did have a lot of fun moments, like when Danny kept asking if Jessica said anything about him and their interaction with Tombstone. I have to agree with Murd, I did not like how Tombstone was drawn. Sal Buscema's solid granite Tombstone is stuck in my head, not this floppy version of the character. The fight scene with Tombstone's goons was enjoyable. I did get the second issue but I have yet to read it. I'm hoping it will entice me a little more than the first issue.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I like both Tombstone looks- the new one didn't seem that much of a reach for me. Like I was saying, this is an over the top style, and I think it works well in the context of this book. I don't see floppy.. I still see a rock solid barrel chested bad guy. I think all of the characteristics of Buscema's visual take on him are there- they've just been exaggerated. Just my take- not that I really have the inside baseball knowledge to discuss art style, but this is the best way I can describe why I like it.

It's hard for me to put a finger on what this style of artwork is like.. It seems like James Harren's work if anyone knows him (he is currently drawing Rumble at Image, written by John Arcudi). Harren also did an arc on Brian Wood's Conan run, which was how I got interested in him.

Anyway, PM&IF is definitely one of my faves so far among ANAD Marvel titles.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Sal's Tombstone looks like an evil, Caucasian, corporate businessman—someone who might just as soon sue you as kill you. Sanford’s Tombstone looks like a predator of the wild. The wide mouth, large jaw, sloped brow, huge fists, and powerful upper body all reflect a creature that will eat you alive. Both approaches are valid, but for the vibe of this series, I think a more savage-looking Tombstone is a better fit—he looks closer to the old Power Man villains of the ’70s.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for the reviews! My ratings?

Snowfall: Yeah, BORROW: I wish I hadn't ordered the 2nd issue. I agreed with what everyone said. The art didn't impress me, the world-building was derivative, and I got bored. And I think the art definitely reminded me of Quitely, but not as good.

Shaft: So far I'm agreeing with Dani, BORROW: And I ordered the whole mini-series, too. I thought the artwork was kinda plain. Almost cartoony. And the story was kind of roundabout, not finding it's footing...ever. I found that in the end I didn't care that much. I'm also thinking that I wish the story went further along. Maybe my low rating is because, unlike Chris, I never really got into the Shaft movies (but I do like the song!)

Power Man & Iron Fist: LOW BUY: Another one that I ordered at least the first 3 issues of. The artwork bothered me a bit (both cartoony and sketchy), but overall it didn't take me out of the story which was good and in fact, perhaps helped illustrate the street level feeling of the story. Oh...thanks Murd for the info about the Marvel Handbook size of Danny Rand and Luke Cage. That helps.

Archie: BORROW. I've read the first two issues and it was pretty good. Didn't grab me, though.

The Vision: Agreed! But I think it's King's BEST series. BUY!

Black Widow: Like PANTS (not a rating), I'm also looking forward to getting it...

Starve: BORROW? Never heard of it...Bourdain? Wasn't he in The Big Short? (cameo)

• Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited May 2016
    Just tackled this episode - I know, way late - but am so glad that I did, especially because I had no idea before listening that the SHAFT fictional world had any kind of gay characters or gay stories. I've never seen the movies or read any SHAFT comics, but now I am going to get this David Walker title. Thanks, CGS, for bringing it to my attention :)