Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1599 Talkback - Top 5 Partnerships

As the jury of Geekdom Assembled continues to deliberate the case of Batman v. Superman in theaters everywhere, we of CGS believe the time is right to reflect fondly on the days when comic book characters could just get along! Hence this Top 5 episode celebrating some of our favorite long-term working relationships and (dare we say it??) friendships between the heroes (and villains!) of yesteryear. It's an encomium of camaraderie and cooperation in comics! (1:38:37)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited March 2016
    Excellent idea and excellent episode! Chris' selection of Star Man and Shade was inspired. Listened to most of this morning while walking. Still not done, but I've gotten through the guys' 5 picks, so here are 5 of mine I came up with while listening that weren't mentioned (assuming Murd's much ballyhooed list of "alternates" doesn't include them):

5) Alfred and Batman

One of the most unique and complicated relationships in all of comics. Alfred serves as butler, adviser, confidant, tech support, nurse, conscience, and comic foil.

4) Medusa and Black Bolt

Not just married heroes, Medusa and Black Bolt are also rulers, with Medusa serving as not only her husband's Queen and primary adviser, but also (literally) as his voice. And because of this, they have developed a symbiotic relationship where she is able to discern his every thought from the slightest facial change, etc.

3) Captain Marvel of 2 worlds with Billy Battson and Rick Jones
    imageimage

Okay, I cheated here, but I think you can see why. I always found it amusing that both DC and Marvel would have a Captain Marvel character that was forced to split his time in our reality with a teenage sidekick type. Although, as I wrote that it occurred to me that Marvel was more than likely just riffing on the DC version.

2) Mr. Mxyplyzyk and Bat Mite

In terms of comic relief, it's tough to beat these two 5th Dimension imps who have teamed up over the years to wreak havoc in the lives of the World's Finest.

1) Blue Beetle and Booster Gold

Mxyplyzyk and Bat Mite are tough to beat in terms of comic relief, but these guys easily do that. Some of my favorite comics of all-time was the initial "Bwahaha" run of Justice League International featuring these two schmoes.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Great Episode guys. Pants I'm glad you are back.
  • Options
    I was going to point out how it seems impossible that you guys missed Beetle & Booster, but someone else already pointed them out.

My list in no particular order:

Wolverine & Nightcrawler
    The Thing & Johnny Storm I don't care for the FF much, but I LOVE a well written story where these 2 go at each other.)
    Powerman & Iron Fist
    Archer & Armstrong
    Raphael & Casey Jones

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Off the top of my head:

5) Conner Kent Superboy and Tim Drake Robin/Red Robin

My boys! Batman and Superman may be buds, but Tim and Conner are brothers. Through and through. Watching these two grow over the years was a real joy for me. Shame the New 52 got rid of most of that, but at least I have the older stuff to go back to whenever I want.

4) Rocket Raccoon and Groot
    I AM GROOT.

3) Spider-Man and Human Torch
    Frankly, I'm surprised these two weren't on @wildpigcomics' list. But they're certainly on mine! Johnny and Peter, both in the main Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe, are two peas in a pod. Sure, they might rag on each other, bust each other's balls, and pull some amazing pranks on one another. But when it comes to team-ups, these two rival few others at having one another's back.

2) Blue Beetle and Booster Gold
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

1) Wally West Flash and Kyle Rayner Green Lantern

It's my generation's Flash and my generation's GL. What could possibly be better? Best of all, their interactions felt natural, their banter legitimate and humorous. It's one of the things I miss most about that era of comics.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited March 2016
    VERY enjoyable episode, guys! I was looking up stuff on comic book db and mycomicshop.com just to see the covers and stuff u all talked about.
    My Top 5?
    1) Angel and the Ape (probably 'nuff said)
    2) Beast and Iceman, the group within a group.
    3) Falcon and Redwing
    4) Fire and Ice (Justice League)
    5) Maggie and Hopey (Love & Rockets)
    Oh, that last one brought to mind an honorable mention: Francine and Katchoo! (Strangers in Paradise)
  • Options
    I can't remember ... did Murd mention Batman and Robin?
  • Options

I was going to point out how it seems impossible that you guys missed Beetle & Booster, but someone else already pointed them out.

We didn't miss them--we were just saving them for Shane. He couldn't join us on the night we recorded this episode, but there was no doubt in anyone's mind that the Blue and the Gold would have topped his list.

I can't remember ... did Murd mention Batman and Robin?

I actually didn't, but yeah, one of us probably should have.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2016
    5) Klarion the Witch Boy and Teekl the Cat — My favorite out of all of Kirby’s work for DC was his Demon series. And what really made the book especially fun for me was the Witch Boy and his pet cat, Teekl. Both creepy and funny, they took the book to the next level. I also really like what Grant Morrison and Frazer Irving did with them in the Seven Soldiers series.

4) Angel and the Ape — A beautiful girl, a comic book artist ape, with amazing art by Bob Oksner. That's all I need.

3) The Tick and Arthur — No book has made me laugh out loud as much as Ben Edlund’s original Tick stories. Tick and Arthur have a perfect yin and yang symmetry that is hard to top.

2) Wesley Dodds and Dian Belmont (Sandman Mystery Theatre) — They weren't just a romantic couple, but a true partnership. It's still one of the most authentic feeling relationships that's been portrayed in comics.

1) Dr. Fate (Eric and Linda Strauss)Dr. Fate (by J.M. DeMatteis and Shawn McManus) was the comic that got me hooked on comics again after a few years of mostly ignoring them. Eric Strauss and his stepmother Linda wasn't the first time two people fused into one superhero, but it was by far the most interesting take on the concept. Similar to my #2 choice, it was the authenticity of the emotional aspects of their relationship that really made the book special.

Alternates
    Just a few that I always liked that didn't quite make my cut and which I didn't hear mentioned on the show:

Ka-Zar and Shanna the She-Devil — Adam mentioned Ka-Zar and Zabu, but the Bruce Jones/Brent Anderson run on Ka-Zar featured the great partnership of Marvel’s premiere jungle heroes. It was Tarzan and Jane in Pelucidar if Jane could kick as much butt as Tarzan.

Batgirl and Robin — I always loved their team-ups in Batman Family, with Robin constantly trying to woo Batgirl and Barbara always giving him the Heisman.

Etrigan and Jason Blood — As mentioned above, my favorite of Kirby’s DC series, and I really enjoyed the series from the ’90s too.

Betty and Veronica — I mean, c’mon. What's not to like?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    5) Deadpool & Bob, Minion of Hydra
    Once Deadpool liberated Bob from his post at a HYDRA base, the bromance began.

4) Harley Quinn & The Joker
    Perhaps the greatest comic book power couple of crime and clownishness.

3) Beast & Wonder Man
    @JamieD notably regarded this as one of his favorite comic book bromances. During the heady John Byrne run in the late 70's and early eighties, Beastie and Wonder Man formed one of the most lasting friendships the old fashioned way: With “a glass of dry wine, a jigger of brandy, a gallon of Muscatel” and a fight with Red Ronin, the ten-story robot designed to out-kaiju Godzilla himself (Avengers #198, 1980)

2) Conan & Bêlit
    Bêlit was a pirate queen who has a romantic relationship with Conan the barbarian that lasted for 43 issues in the pages of Roy Thomas's Conan run for Marvel. Their romance literally gave me chills. Her death in issue #100 was the first comic book death I ever experienced and the most impactful as well.

1) Bucky & Cap
    Cap and Bucky both made each other better heroes because of their mutual respect and the responsibility each felt for one another and for their country. No greater duo in comics save for Batman & Robin, IMO.
  • Options
    I thought about Joker and Harley, but outside of the Mad Love one-shot and the very few appearances in Batman Adventures, I haven't cared about the comic book version of Harley Quinn.
  • Options

I haven't cared about the comic book version of Harley Quinn.

I couldn't care less about the current comic book Harley Quinn either, but I sure did like the Batman: The Animated Series episodes she appeared in (I think there were nine), and five or six episodes of the New Batman Adventures ('Mad Love' is an excellent episode), and several other DC animated appearances.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Enjoyed this episode quite a bit.

My own top 5:

5 - Biotron and Microtron - Micronauts. There had to be one from Micronauts. Could have been Commander Rann and Marionette as easily. Love this book, loved the characters and relationships.

4 - Blue and Gold. Shane will say it better than me. Such fun characters.

3 - Night Owl and Rorschach. Need I say more? Hrm. I thought not.

2 - Spectre and Madame Xanadu. I'm looking at you John Ostrander series from the 90's. So much fun.

1 - Dredd and Anderson. Dredd is always fun, but playing straight man to Anderson? Sign me up
  • Options

I haven't cared about the comic book version of Harley Quinn.

I couldn't care less about the current comic book Harley Quinn either, but I sure did like the Batman: The Animated Series episodes she appeared in (I think there were nine), and five or six episodes of the New Batman Adventures ('Mad Love' is an excellent episode), and several other DC animated appearances.
    She's a great character in the cartoons, but I kept my evaluation limited to the comic book appearances only, and the bad far outweighed the good. I had to make some hard choices when making my list. It's funny how many “partnership” type of books I read growing up. I had a bunch of Green Lantern/Green Arrow issues (post-Adams), I loved the GA/Black Canary stories in World’s Finest, the Batgirl/Robin stories in Batman Family, Power Man & Iron Fist, Captain America & the Falcon, and probably my favorite title as a young kid was Brave and the Bold which had Batman teaming up with a different partner every month.
  • Options
    Are you questioning the validity of my selection, Eric? I considered any of the comic properties (Harley originated in the animation series) to be a valid option. My hill, my beans, so to speak.

But for the sake of decorum, I'd be very happy to include alternates if you wish to disqualify Harley Quinn and the Joker. I assume that would also disqualify Blue Falcon and Dynomutt? Scooby and Shaggy? The Wonder Twins? LOL :)

Initially I was going to go with Batman and Robin until @TheOriginalGMan spoke up and called it. Their inclusion should've been a no-brainer, so I was shocked they weren't mentioned. That's when I came up with HQ&TJ.

Hmm..I guess I'd go with Jim Gordon and the Batman if pressed to change my answer.
  • Options

Are you questioning the validity of my selection, Eric?

Not at all, just explaining my reasoning for why I didn't include them on my own list. If the mainstream DCU books hadn't stripped Harley of pretty much every quality I liked about her in animated universe, I would likely have included Harley/Joker on my list based on the Dini/Timm Mad Love comic alone.
  • Options

Are you questioning the validity of my selection, Eric?

Not at all, just explaining my reasoning for why I didn't include them on my own list. If the mainstream DCU books hadn't stripped Harley of pretty much every quality I liked about her in animated universe, I would likely have included Harley/Joker on my list based on the Dini/Timm Mad Love comic alone.
    It was an excellent 'origin story' of their partnership. As was the episode of the animated series The New Batman Adventures that it was later adapted to (with some alterations). The comic won an Eisner Award in '94. Perfectly summarized the pair's romance.

Ok, I'm sticking with them as my #4 partnership :)

• Options
    hauberk said:

3 - Night Owl and Rorschach. Need I say more? Hrm. I thought not.

Wish I had thought of that one.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    What? No Hawk-Owl and Woody? ;)
  • Options
    gingpogingpo Posts: 21
    5. The Incredible Hulk and Rick Jones
    I especially enjoyed this relationship written by Peter David in the 90s.

4. Batman (Dick Grayson) and Robin (Damian Wayne)
    Although short-lived I enjoyed seeing Dick's less extreme Batman played off of Damian's more extreme Robin.

3. Luke Cage and Iron Fist
    I probably love these characters because Power Man and Iron Fist were some of the first comics that read, but even so it is a great combination.

2. Kitty Pryde and Lockheed
    I enjoy how they are not only loyal friends to one another but ferocious protectors of each other as well. How can you not love a cute dragon and a mutant teenager who can phase through things!

1. Superman and Lois Lane
    Even if you disregard the affection these two have had for each other over the years, it is hard not to enjoy the banter between them. Lois has always been the biggest challenge Superman has ever faced, and always knows how to keep him in check. Together they can seemingly do anything.

I also wanted to say how glad I am that Pants is back on the podcast. I missed hearing his exclamations of excitement!
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    edited March 2016
    Really enjoyed this episode, a great Top 5, everyone.

My List:

1. Power-Man & Iron Fist: For some reason, they just remind me of a great songwriting duo like Lennon & McCartney. Great on their own, but it goes to another level when they get together.

2. Captain America & The Falcon: Some of my first memories of comics were this duo.

3. Captain America & Bucky: I like Cap A LOT, so sue me...

4. Green Arrow & Green Lantern: Think the 'Archer's Quest' storyline cemented this choice for me.

5. Winter Soldier/Daredevil and Black Widow: Couldn't decide, but the Widow is great partnered with anyone.
  • Options
    Fun episode!! I always love top 5s, with Adam's list of alternates usually being a highlight--and this episode continued that tradition! My list in no particular order:

1) Walker and Pilgrim (Powers)
    2) Storm and Gambit (very cool at first)
    3) Deathstroke and Terra (short but devastating)
    4) Wolverine and Kitty Pryde
    5) Doctor Doom and Namor (each so arrogant that you know the partnership will never last).

Some alternates:
    Mastermind and Lady Jean Grey (Black Queen)
    Robin and Flash (New Teen Titans era)
    Powerman and Iron Fist
    R2D2 and C3PO
    Usagi and Gennosuke

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Thing and everyone
    Spider-Man and everyone
    Batman and everyone
    Superman and everyone
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Thing and everyone
    Spider-Man and everyone
    Batman and everyone
    Superman and everyone

Ha! Somehow I don't think those responses would've made as interesting a podcast episode, but I like them.
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited April 2016
    Terrific episode. I loved how you defined partnerships in ways I wouldn't have initially imagined. It could change, but my list would have to be something like:

ALT. Guy Gardner and G'Nort

5. Bat-Mite and Mxyzptlk
    4. Batman and Superman
    3. Spectre and Madame Xanadu
    2. Tony Stark and James Rhodes
    1. Francine and Katchoo
  • Options
    What a terrific episode! You all were in such playful moods! "A shoe store in your mouth" is one of the best lines in CGS history! And the forum posts? Complete with panel images and animation?!? Awe. Some! Wonderful contributions by all! Thanks, everyone!