Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1609 Talkback - BOMC: Preacher, Book 1 (#1-12)

It's the time of the Preacher! We're amazed it's taken us this long, but CGS is finally initiated into the holy orders of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's epic 1990s Vertigo series, a rip-roaring saga of over-the-top violence, off-color humor, social and religious satire, and good ol' Western grit. It's the tall tale of Jesse Custer, a small-town Texas preacher who's touched by the renegade hybrid essence of Heaven and Hell themselves and sets out on a 'search for God' like no other! Get the CGS perspective on the first three story arcs of the original Preacher comic, from old hands and neophytes alike, to enhance your AMC viewing experience! (1:52:57)

Listen here. Let us pray...

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited May 2016
    I never was able to get into Preacher. I’m not religious—quite the opposite, in fact. I’m not a prude—again, far from it. I love satire. I love westerns (and have a very similar relationship with John Wayne as Chris)—everything from traditional John Ford fare to spaghetti westerns to Sam Peckinpah. I love black humor. I’m a big fan of Steve Dillon’s artwork, and was before Preacher. But I don’t like Preacher.

I read Preacher as it was coming out. I loved Ennis’ Hellblazer story, and his Demon, while not as enjoyable as Alan Grant’s run, was entertaining, so I was really looking forward to the book. But I found the writing during that initial reading much the way Dani and Bill found the writing on their second readings—juvenile (not in a good way) and shocking simply to be shocking. I gave it nine issues hoping for more, but in the end I had to drop it.

I've mentioned this on the forums before, but I was working at a comic shop at the time, and every time a new issue arrived, we would place bets on how many times the word “f--k” would be used. And I was a fan of Tarantino at the time, so it wasn’t the language or the violence per se. It may sound odd, but to my ears when Tarantino used vulgar language and ultra-violence, it felt natural and genuine, but with Ennis in Preacher it felt forced and gratuitous.

I have to take issue with Chris’ take on the history of the American Old West. Yes, there were certain areas on the edges of the frontier that were pretty violent, but on the whole, life in towns throughout the settled West was actually quite peaceful. There’s been a lot of scholarship over the past several years that backs this up.

Regardless, the show was an enjoyable listen. And it goes to show that every comic has its audience.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I haven't read much of Preacher at all. I did read sporadic issues of Hellblazer and liked those (as well as liking the Constantine movie even though it was quite different). In addition, I liked Steve Dillon's art on Punisher so...I'm tempted to at least look at the first trade. Anyway, I've enjoyed listening to your comments on it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm only at the top 10 trades for In Stock Trades and all I can say is "Clean up on aisle Eberle!"
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I have to vent. I know this thread was in regards to the comic series but I'm really, really hating the TV series. It's taken too far of an unnecessary departure from the original comic narrative which in my opinion still holds up. I fell asleep on the series two weeks in a row. I love the casting of the three leads but they deserve better. I had a feeling Seth Rogan and company was going to f this up but I was willing to give them a chance. Geez! I'll finish the season but keeping it on the real, I'm hoping they cancel this crap and someone else who has more respect for the original source material will try to give the Preacher story another shot. I'm quite pissed about this.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Dman said:

I have to vent. I know this thread was in regards to the comic series but I'm really, really hating the TV series. It's taken too far of an unnecessary departure from the original comic narrative which in my opinion still holds up. I fell asleep on the series two weeks in a row. I love the casting of the three leads but they deserve better. I had a feeling Seth Rogan and company was going to f this up but I was willing to give them a chance. Geez! I'll finish the season but keeping it on the real, I'm hoping they cancel this crap and someone else who has more respect for the original source material will try to give the Preacher story another shot. I'm quite pissed about this.

I've never read Preacher and don't watch the show but I know how you feel. I've had to stop watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones because I just can't deal with the changes to the source material.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Dman said:

I've never read Preacher and don't watch the show but I know how you feel. I've had to stop watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones because I just can't deal with the changes to the source material.

Actually, I think GoT show runners David Benioff and Dan B. Weiss, who work quite closely with GoT author George R.R. Martin, could give a Master Class on adapting original source material; keeping to the main narrative structure while making, for the most part, well thought out and interesting changes. The Walking Dead has departed quite a bit from the original source, particularly in regards to some of the characters (some live longer in the book than the series and vice versa) but for the most part, at least as far as main settings are concerned, they've stuck quite close to the original narrative (Herschel's farm > Prison/Woodbury > Terminus > Alexandria > Negan). Preacher is just so far off from the original source.

Mr_Cosmic, I would suggest you read at least the first trade and see for yourself. It's a great comic series; very twisted and lots of fun.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Keeping the travelogue nature of the comic intact would be impossible on a television budget.

Changing Jesse's dad's past is the biggest thing that jars for me from the comic, but we're now too far away from Vietnam for it to work, and setting the show in the 90s would again be a problem for the budget.

As long as we see Jackie Earle Haley doing something unspeakable to meat at some point, I'll be happy with the compromise.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Keeping the travelogue nature of the comic intact would be impossible on a television budget.

Brack, I have to respectfully disagree with that. Game of Thrones, in my opinion the most cinematic show in TV history, is done on a TV budget; cable TV at that. The Netflix series Sense8 is filmed around the world; about 8 different locations. It's a beautifully filmed series. It can be done. Plus, some of the settings from the comic series can be filmed in the States or Canada and made to look like another country. I truly believe it just wasn't necessary to so drastically depart from the original narrative. Plus, the TV series is just boring.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Dman said:

Brack said:

Brack, I have to respectfully disagree with that. Game of Thrones, in my opinion the most cinematic show in TV history, is done on a TV budget; cable TV at that. The Netflix series Sense8 is filmed around the world; about 8 different locations. It's a beautifully filmed series. It can be done. Plus, some of the settings from the comic series can be filmed in the States or Canada and made to look like another country. I truly believe it just wasn't necessary to so drastically depart from the original narrative. Plus, the TV series is just boring.

To be fair, HBO budgets, especially GOT are a different league than other TV. They are premium pay cable, with HBO's long history of success (and willingness to go big). HBO spends more per episode for some of its shows than anyone, I believe. They are budgets that those who make TV salivate over.

Preacher, as basic cable, is likely budgeted below network TV.

When it comes to budgets, it's not TV, it's HBO (as the old tag line said).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    David_D said:

Dman said:

Brack said:

To be fair, HBO budgets, especially GOT are a different league than other TV. They are premium pay cable, with HBO's long history of success (and willingness to go big). HBO spends more per episode for some of its shows than anyone, I believe. They are budgets that those who make TV salivate over.

I hear you David. I really do but I still think the Preacher TV series sucks thus far and I just don't think it would've broke the show runners to follow the original narrative; if not totally, at least a little more closely than they are now.

Again, I love the casting of the three main characters and that's one reason why it somewhat pains me to be so down on the series.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    I've never read Preacher either, but hearing how much CGS praises it, I am closer than ever to diving into volume 1 :)
    (Even though I watched the AMC pilot and it didn't grab me.)
  • Options
    I actually thought the Saint of Killers origin segment was well done, and the most faithful they've been to the original source material yet, and then we get back to snooooozeville.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Dman said:

David_D said:

Dman said:

Brack said:

I hear you David. I really do but I still think the Preacher TV series sucks thus far and I just don't think it would've broke the show runners to follow the original narrative; if not totally, at least a little more closely than they are now.

Again, I love the casting of the three main characters and that's one reason why it somewhat pains me to be so down on the series.
    I take your word for it. I can't put my finger on why, but as much as I loved Preacher as a comic, I just haven't wanted to watch the show and haven't wanted to. I figured I would wait and if word of mouth was strong I would catch up later. But from what you and others have said, I may just skip it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Been doing a ton of catch up on CGS. I'm in Dani's boat. I first read preacher in my early 20s and it got me back in comics. As I've gotten oldler Preacher just hasn't aged well.

We will always have Athens Jesse.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

Been doing a ton of catch up on CGS. I'm in Dani's boat. I first read preacher in my early 20s and it got me back in comics. As I've gotten oldler Preacher just hasn't aged well.

We will always have Athens Jesse.

That is how I feel about Sandman. Read that as it was coming out and loved it. Then re-read it in my late 20s and for me it aged really badly.

Preacher.... Ahh the comic that kept me going to the comic shop every week.It is one of those runs that pretty much every year I re-read it. And my only complaint about it is I could have done without the John Wayne hero worship. But it fits Jesse perfectly.

Only on ep 3 of the TV show and while I am enjoying it,it is very different from the comic so far.