Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Murd's Time Bubble: The Twenty-Seventh Time Talkback

First of the Summer TIME! Murd sees in the season with a summer reading list of the comics of yesteryear: 'Remembrance of Things Past' with Wonder Woman! 'Crime and Punishment' with The Flash! 'Infinite Jest' with Daredevil! 'The Man in the Iron Mask' with New X-Men! And a special nod to the artist 'For Whom the Bell Tolls': the late Darwyn Cooke. (2:12:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Great episode! I loved that X-Men annual and the "wide-screen" schtick. I also enjoy when you go on little rants (i.e. Jester's costume in the DD issue)--and even some of the bigger ones (i.e. X-Men: Apocalypse). Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Murd you are back
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    While Pokemon certainly influenced the rise of manga in the US, I would argue Dragon Ball Z was an even bigger factor.

Yeah, most people know Mike Manley for his Darkhawk and Batman traditional superhero work, but I think he’s at his best on more humorous, cartoonier work. He’s great at that stuff, and was a good fit as an inker over Darwyn. And I know Darwyn really liked what Mike did on that Ant-Man story.

Wasn’t a fan of the whole Iron Heights thing. I think that was around the time Johns finally made me drop Flash.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2016

While Pokemon certainly influenced the rise of manga in the US, I would argue Dragon Ball Z was an even bigger factor.

Yes, and Sailor Moon too as I can remember girls in my family who were gaga for that show(which led to them reading the manga).

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Yes, and Sailor Moon too as I can remember girls in my family who were gaga for that show(which led to them reading the manga).

True, Sailor Moon was for (mostly) girls what Dragon Ball Z was for (mostly) boys, and they hit the US around the same time, I think.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Favorite @Adam_Murdough quote so far?

"Let's see how powerful and charismatic you feel when those costumes are covered with your own piss and drool, sucker."

• Yeah, most people know Mike Manley for his Darkhawk and Batman traditional superhero work, but I think he’s at his best on more humorous, cartoonier work. He’s great at that stuff, and was a good fit as an inker over Darwyn. And I know Darwyn really liked what Mike did on that Ant-Man story.

If you haven't checked out Manley's work on the 90's 'Power of Shazam' series, please do yourself a favor and binge read those bad boys now. Jerry Ordway and Mike Manley gave us the finest version of the Marvel Family characters I've ever seen.

• i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    The history of Xorn is so damn complicated that you could probably do a Spotlight on him and it'd be as long as the entire Thor Silver Age Spotlight. Marvel had no idea what to do with Morrison's stuff post-New X-Men, and it showed the most with him. They really should have left the character alone after Grant left, but Chuck Austen just couldn't resist.

I think we're on his brother now, but I'm not at all sure. And neither is Marvel.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited July 2016
    Another fantastically fun frolic on the ole Bubble of Time! Thanks Murd. And your timely nod to Darwyn Cooke was touching. Can't wait for you to read and discuss his *The New Frontier.*

I had to smile when you mentioned how comics are like soaps with regard to the premature aging of child characters. I used to write for "General Hospital," and the actual term which daytime TV uses for this is S.O.R.A.S. (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome). Writers and producers often sit around asking questions like "should we SORAS little Kristina?" or "is Aiden ready to be SORAS'd yet?" :joy: In live action production, the reasons for this are clear: actors playing onscreen characters obviously must be paid, and you get the most for your show budget buck if you can play a character in many types of stories, including romance and sex - so characters are most valuable if they're old enough for that (14 and up). It's frustrating for budget-conscious producers to juggle pre-teens on the story canvas; they're too old to get through scenes without talking (like younger children or prop babies) and when they talk, they have to be paid more. One might think this problem would be irrelevant for the actor-free medium of superhero comic books. I mean, there are the very popular younger heroes like Kamala Khan and Miles Morales... but they're still full-on teenagers, capable of romance and sex, and most superhero comics still do focus on 20-35 year old heroes. I'd guess this is because most of them are symbols of - among other things - virility, and that most of the general public probably considers people to be at their most virile from 20-35?

On another note, when you were talking about that Ant-Man story, and you were mentioning early primetime animated TV series? I sooooo wanted you to namecheck the awesome "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home!" Too few people remember that gem! Its theme song will be burned into my brain until I die at 120. For those of you too young to remember it, YouTube it, so your brain will be burned as well.

Lastly, I loved your QuickPop review of that Rucka-written Detective Comics issue. (I loved Rucka's whole run, actually.) Though I think you accidentally referred to Sasha Bordeaux as Sasha Midnight, perhaps confusing her with Jessica Midnight, who recruited Sasha into Checkmate, I think?

Alas, I am now in that bittersweet period of having just enjoyed a Time Bubble while knowing that the next one won't be landing for a long time :-/

But thanks again, @Adam_Murdough. Wonderful podcast :)
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I.... I watched both.